Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

overheating problem with AMD XP 3200+

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2004 9:26:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

I just replaced my old MOBO with a GA-7N400-L and anAMD XP 3200+. For
cooling I'm using a Copper Silent 2 from Arctic Cooling. After having
reinstalled Win2k I checked the CPU temperature with the Gigabyte tool
Easyconfig to see if there is some room to overclock this baby a bit. When
idle the temp of the CPU was about 70°C and when running some apps (Prime95)
it went up to 82°C. I couldn't believe the temperatures Easyconfig was
telling me as the system was still stable and didn't freeze or shutdown.
Anyway I checked the temps also in the Bios and with some other Tools (like
SiSoft Sandra) and got about the same results. Opening the case and touching
the metal of the cooler convinced me that I have a temperature problem. I
noticed that parts of the case are getting quite hot too. To make sure it
wasn't only the bad circulation of the air in the case I removed parts of
the case which brought the temp down to about 65° when idle and about 75°C
when running heavy apps. Still those temps are way too high, of course. The
CPU was mounted on the socket by a technican where I bought the stuff and
I'm not sure if he applied some gel or not to the CPU before mounting the
Fan (I ordered some gel allready to fix that). The same guy did also not set
the FSB jumper properly so the system showed "only" 1100Mhz when booting for
the first time. So I'm not sure anymore if he knows how to handle this CPU
and might as well have forgotten to apply the gel.

An other point: I figured out that the core current of the Barton should be
1.65V. But my CPU seems to be receiving 1.69V ~ 1.75 V (depending on the
Tool used to measure that). Could the higher current be the reason that I'm
experiencing this overheating problems?
I saw in the bios menu that I'm able to increase the current but there seems
no option to bring the current down to 1.65V. Any ideas how to decrease the
current?

Anyway, what should I try to do to bring the temp down (beside applying som
gel to the CPU and trying another fan)?

In the mean time I will set the FSB down to 200Mhz in order to not destroy
the system.

Roman
August 8, 2004 9:26:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

> Anyway, what should I try to do to bring the temp down (beside applying
som
> gel to the CPU and trying another fan)?
>
> In the mean time I will set the FSB down to 200Mhz in order to not destroy
> the system.

Remove and inspect the HS/Fan assembly. There's an excellent chance it's
either on backwards, not making proper contact, or has no thermal paste at
all.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 8, 2004 9:36:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

I recently upgraded my system to an XP3200+ and ever since I too have been
having severe overheating problems.

I've got an Aerocool HT-101 HS on it with 2 fans on it, upgraded to a
coolermaster Wavemaster case with a blowhole exhaust, rear exhaust, 2
intake fans and if I don't take the side off the case the damn thing gets
too hot to touch!

With Xnews running, Asus probe is currently reporting 51 degrees, but the
moment I start to do anything or the screensaver kicks in or - God forbid -
I try to play a game, then it'll hurtly up towards the high 60s (into the
70s with the side of the case on).
I've built more systems than I could shake a stick at, so know what I'm
doing with heatsinks and arctic silver 5 etc, and heat has never been an
issue until this build.
Ok, the Asus 9800XT and the Tagan TG480 psu kick out a fair old bit of heat
too, but surely not so much that their use renders the system unusable
through overheating?

I've been looking for a solution to this and have yet to find one, so the
best I can offer is the fact that you're not alone!

Good luck.

**remove n0spam to reply**
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2004 12:19:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

"Roman Hartmann" <rhartmann@bluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:4116464a_3@news.bluewin.ch...
> I just replaced my old MOBO with a GA-7N400-L and anAMD XP 3200+. For
> cooling I'm using a Copper Silent 2 from Arctic Cooling. After having
> reinstalled Win2k I checked the CPU temperature with the Gigabyte tool
> Easyconfig to see if there is some room to overclock this baby a bit. When
> idle the temp of the CPU was about 70°C and when running some apps
(Prime95)
> it went up to 82°C. I couldn't believe the temperatures Easyconfig was
> telling me as the system was still stable and didn't freeze or shutdown.
> Anyway I checked the temps also in the Bios and with some other Tools
(like
> SiSoft Sandra) and got about the same results. Opening the case and
touching
> the metal of the cooler convinced me that I have a temperature problem. I
> noticed that parts of the case are getting quite hot too. To make sure it
> wasn't only the bad circulation of the air in the case I removed parts of
> the case which brought the temp down to about 65° when idle and about 75°C
> when running heavy apps. Still those temps are way too high, of course.
The
> CPU was mounted on the socket by a technican where I bought the stuff and
> I'm not sure if he applied some gel or not to the CPU before mounting the
> Fan (I ordered some gel allready to fix that). The same guy did also not
set
> the FSB jumper properly so the system showed "only" 1100Mhz when booting
for
> the first time. So I'm not sure anymore if he knows how to handle this CPU
> and might as well have forgotten to apply the gel.

I disassembled the computer and checked if the CPU got some thermal paste
applied. That all seemed fine and the fan/cooler was mounted properly too.
To make sure that the fan which is blowing out the air of the case and is
located near to the CPU isn't producing any "vacuum" and causing the CPU to
overheat I took the mainboard completely out of the case and checked how the
temp would change. Still the temp was around 65°C when the CPU was idle and
up to 70°C when under heavy load. The metal part of the cooler seemed hot
but can be touched without problem. It seems that the heat is brought away
from the CPU well.

I'm almost convinced now that the shown values (at least the ones for the
CPU) are too high. A Bios upgrade didn't help to change that, though.
The cooler which has it's own thermal diode applied on the cooler is running
at around 1200-1500RPM when the CPU is idle (65°C) and at around 2600RPM
when the CPU is under load (70°C). So it seems the electronic of the fan
also thinks the CPU isn't _that_ hot. Anyway I will give it a try and run
the computer for some more time at full speed to see if it's getting
unstable. I checked the area around the CPU on the MOBO and not parts are
getting more than handwarm so I think that only the CPU might fail.
Additionally I ordered an other fan as well which should also suffice to
cool AMD CPU's up to 3400+. I will see if it makes any difference using that
fan. I will also reapply some more (I'm aware that more isn't better) arctic
silver and see if it changes anything.

> An other point: I figured out that the core current of the Barton should
be
> 1.65V. But my CPU seems to be receiving 1.69V ~ 1.75 V (depending on the
> Tool used to measure that). Could the higher current be the reason that
I'm
> experiencing this overheating problems?
> I saw in the bios menu that I'm able to increase the current but there
seems
> no option to bring the current down to 1.65V. Any ideas how to decrease
the
> current?
>
> Anyway, what should I try to do to bring the temp down (beside applying
som
> gel to the CPU and trying another fan)?
>
> In the mean time I will set the FSB down to 200Mhz in order to not destroy
> the system.
>
> Roman
>
>
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2004 8:48:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Is your bios set at auto for cpu vcore?
This setting should set the correct voltage.
Also you might try a cooler with a fan that is adjustable upto 5000rpm or
even higher.
With this cpu producing so much heat i think you need more rpm on the fan.
The fact that the heatsink is hot to the touch means its making full contact
with the die.
So it appears the fan is not doing a good job or could be this type of cpu
is just hot,
If you can keep your finger for several minutes at the heatsink without
getting too hot and the surrounding elements are not that hot either it
could just be that your mainboard gives the wrong values and even the latest
bios can fail to correct this.
You are on the right track with detecting the autofan not getting faster
then 2600rpm at full load,but is this the max rpm?
I have auto fans in my psu and that is also a fine way to detect if my temps
are getting higher,the fans will get real loud then.
Finally you could make 2 holes in the sidepanel and fit 2 silent fans with
fanguards.The more cool air from outside the better.

"Roman Hartmann" <rhartmann@bluewin.ch> schreef in bericht
news:41171717$1_2@news.bluewin.ch...
>
> "Roman Hartmann" <rhartmann@bluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:4116464a_3@news.bluewin.ch...
> > I just replaced my old MOBO with a GA-7N400-L and anAMD XP 3200+. For
> > cooling I'm using a Copper Silent 2 from Arctic Cooling. After having
> > reinstalled Win2k I checked the CPU temperature with the Gigabyte tool
> > Easyconfig to see if there is some room to overclock this baby a bit.
When
> > idle the temp of the CPU was about 70°C and when running some apps
> (Prime95)
> > it went up to 82°C. I couldn't believe the temperatures Easyconfig was
> > telling me as the system was still stable and didn't freeze or shutdown.
> > Anyway I checked the temps also in the Bios and with some other Tools
> (like
> > SiSoft Sandra) and got about the same results. Opening the case and
> touching
> > the metal of the cooler convinced me that I have a temperature problem.
I
> > noticed that parts of the case are getting quite hot too. To make sure
it
> > wasn't only the bad circulation of the air in the case I removed parts
of
> > the case which brought the temp down to about 65° when idle and about
75°C
> > when running heavy apps. Still those temps are way too high, of course.
> The
> > CPU was mounted on the socket by a technican where I bought the stuff
and
> > I'm not sure if he applied some gel or not to the CPU before mounting
the
> > Fan (I ordered some gel allready to fix that). The same guy did also not
> set
> > the FSB jumper properly so the system showed "only" 1100Mhz when booting
> for
> > the first time. So I'm not sure anymore if he knows how to handle this
CPU
> > and might as well have forgotten to apply the gel.
>
> I disassembled the computer and checked if the CPU got some thermal paste
> applied. That all seemed fine and the fan/cooler was mounted properly too.
> To make sure that the fan which is blowing out the air of the case and is
> located near to the CPU isn't producing any "vacuum" and causing the CPU
to
> overheat I took the mainboard completely out of the case and checked how
the
> temp would change. Still the temp was around 65°C when the CPU was idle
and
> up to 70°C when under heavy load. The metal part of the cooler seemed hot
> but can be touched without problem. It seems that the heat is brought away
> from the CPU well.
>
> I'm almost convinced now that the shown values (at least the ones for the
> CPU) are too high. A Bios upgrade didn't help to change that, though.
> The cooler which has it's own thermal diode applied on the cooler is
running
> at around 1200-1500RPM when the CPU is idle (65°C) and at around 2600RPM
> when the CPU is under load (70°C). So it seems the electronic of the fan
> also thinks the CPU isn't _that_ hot. Anyway I will give it a try and run
> the computer for some more time at full speed to see if it's getting
> unstable. I checked the area around the CPU on the MOBO and not parts are
> getting more than handwarm so I think that only the CPU might fail.
> Additionally I ordered an other fan as well which should also suffice to
> cool AMD CPU's up to 3400+. I will see if it makes any difference using
that
> fan. I will also reapply some more (I'm aware that more isn't better)
arctic
> silver and see if it changes anything.
>
> > An other point: I figured out that the core current of the Barton should
> be
> > 1.65V. But my CPU seems to be receiving 1.69V ~ 1.75 V (depending on the
> > Tool used to measure that). Could the higher current be the reason that
> I'm
> > experiencing this overheating problems?
> > I saw in the bios menu that I'm able to increase the current but there
> seems
> > no option to bring the current down to 1.65V. Any ideas how to decrease
> the
> > current?
> >
> > Anyway, what should I try to do to bring the temp down (beside applying
> som
> > gel to the CPU and trying another fan)?
> >
> > In the mean time I will set the FSB down to 200Mhz in order to not
destroy
> > the system.
> >
> > Roman
> >
> >
>
>
!