Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 - won't run on XP Pro

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

Don't you need a patch or something to get it working? Can someone
help? I have a friend trying to install RC1 on an XP Pro box and it's
not allowing her. It says it needs a patch??!?!

Thanks,

James

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

Hi

It will work in Compatibility Mode though, as ours works that way

Hope this helps
Julia

"goodhugh" <goodhugh@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't you need a patch or something to get it working? Can someone
> help? I have a friend trying to install RC1 on an XP Pro box and it's
> not allowing her. It says it needs a patch??!?!
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

<head>
</head>
goodhugh schreef:
type="cite">
<pre wrap="">Don't you need a patch or something to get it working? Can someone
help? I have a friend trying to install RC1 on an XP Pro box and it's
not allowing her. It says it needs a patch??!?!

Thanks,

James
</pre>
Goto to the folder where the game has been installed.<br>
Right-click on the exe, the select Properties, tab </font><font
face="Verdana">Compatibility<br>
select from the list with OS 'Windows 98' then klik OK.<br>
Or better, use an older (non WinXP) for this game!<br>
Greets RF<br>

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

RCT2 won't run on XP Pro either. The patch describes the exact problem
that I see, but unfortunately it does not fix the problem.

So far I've only found two programs that won't run under XP pro in
compatibility mode, and RCT2 is one of them. The other is one of the
Carmen San Diego programs. Magic School Bus Inside the Earth has some
issues, but it does run.

I may do a dual boot machine with Windows '98 as one of the OS's, as I
have some peripherals that won't work on XP as well.

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

Sorry but that's true, I have XP Pro + SP1 with RCT2 and the both addons
installed which run fine on my system. To be honest though, I have not tried
running RCT2 under SP2, my main gaming system runs XP Pro + SP1 and this
system runs XP Pro + SP2....

Glen Grainger.

Glen Grainger wrote:
> Sorry but that's true, I have XP Pro + SP1 with RCT2 and the both addons
> installed which run fine on my system.

Uh, I guess you meant to say "sorry but that's not true?"

Anyway, I found the XP patch to RC2 which described the "spinning disk"
but it had no effect on fixing the problem. The program worked fine in
Windows '98.

> To be honest though, I have not tried
> running RCT2 under SP2, my main gaming system runs XP Pro + SP1 and this
> system runs XP Pro + SP2....

I'm running SP2. I have no machine without SP2 to try it on, though I
could do this somehow.

"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> Glen Grainger wrote:
>> Sorry but that's true, I have XP Pro + SP1 with RCT2 and the both addons
>> installed which run fine on my system.
>
> Uh, I guess you meant to say "sorry but that's not true?"
>
> Anyway, I found the XP patch to RC2 which described the "spinning disk"
> but it had no effect on fixing the problem. The program worked fine in
> Windows '98.

Yeah, that's what I ment, I kinda knew what I was talkin' about... :)

I have never patched RCT2 and play nearly everyday, I installed RCT2 then
ran it, installed the first addon and ran it, finially installed the second
addon then ran it, works fine.

>> To be honest though, I have not tried running RCT2 under SP2, my main
>> gaming system runs XP Pro + SP1 and this system runs XP Pro + SP2....
>
> I'm running SP2. I have no machine without SP2 to try it on, though I
> could do this somehow.

Out of curiosity, i'll install RCT2 on this system later tonight and see
what happens, from memory I have had it installed on this system before but
I can't remember if I had SP2 installed at that time, though I think I did
actually.

Glen Grainger.

Glen Grainger wrote:
> "SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Glen Grainger wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry but that's true, I have XP Pro + SP1 with RCT2 and the both addons
>>>installed which run fine on my system.
>>
>>Uh, I guess you meant to say "sorry but that's not true?"
>>
>>Anyway, I found the XP patch to RC2 which described the "spinning disk"
>>but it had no effect on fixing the problem. The program worked fine in
>>Windows '98.
>>

> Yeah, that's what I ment, I kinda knew what I was talkin' about... :)
>
> I have never patched RCT2 and play nearly everyday, I installed RCT2 then
> ran it, installed the first addon and ran it, finially installed the second
> addon then ran it, works fine.
>

>>>To be honest though, I have not tried running RCT2 under SP2, my main
>>>gaming system runs XP Pro + SP1 and this system runs XP Pro + SP2....
>>
>>I'm running SP2. I have no machine without SP2 to try it on, though I
>>could do this somehow.
>

> Out of curiosity, i'll install RCT2 on this system later tonight and see
> what happens, from memory I have had it installed on this system before but
> I can't remember if I had SP2 installed at that time, though I think I did
> actually.

I tried it on another machine with SP2 (a Compaq notebook) and it also
did not work, but I didn't try the patches.

Foehammer358

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Yo, it hink i found the solution, it worked for me on Roller Coaster 1 anyway...Run it in Compatibility mode :

Right click on the .EXE, go in the compatibility tab, tick Run in 640 x 480,and thif that dosnt work right there (woudnt be suprised,after all Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 was ALREADY in 640 x 480, but still it worked 4 me) add the compatibility mode of every Windows in the menu.

If THAT dosnt work, im not giving up, Download Microsoft ( :pfff: ... WINDOWS!) Application applicationCompatibility Toolkit.

once youve downloaded AND installed all the frikkin microsoft programs (you can uninstall them later), go in the directory you installed it, if you dont remember where, just go in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Aplication Toolkit 5 (or 6, or wathever really).
Open Compatibility Administrator. press Fix at the top of the program, then browse for the .EXE and tick wathever you think would work.

Thats it! if it didnt work for you, then im horribly sorry :( ...

Happy park building, Jean-Michel Baribault