POP3 and SMTP servers?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I'm trying to set up email on my Motorola phone and I can't find any
information about what the POP3 and SMTP server names should be set for?
This is presumably for GPRS, if that's important.

Also, does anyone know of a good link to a Cingular site that covers all the
various phone settings? I've already gotten a couple of wrong answers from
their 611 info line, and the Motorola manual doesn't include service
provider specific help.

Thanks,
Bruce.
43 answers Last reply
More about pop3 smtp servers
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote in message
    news:PHUKc.4756$f4.2915@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    | I'm trying to set up email on my Motorola phone and I can't find any
    | information about what the POP3 and SMTP server names should be set for?
    | This is presumably for GPRS, if that's important.
    |
    | Also, does anyone know of a good link to a Cingular site that covers all
    the
    | various phone settings? I've already gotten a couple of wrong answers
    from
    | their 611 info line, and the Motorola manual doesn't include service
    | provider specific help.
    |

    Check Cingular.howardforums.com and particularly the FAQ there. It is a very
    active forum. Just be sure to search first, as the people there get bent out
    of shape when you ask a question thats been asked several times. Chances are
    you will find exactly what you are looking for there, already posted several
    times. It is much more active than this newsgroup is. The FAQ there is where
    you will likely find all the settings for your particular phone.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <PHUKc.4756$f4.2915@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:

    > I'm trying to set up email on my Motorola phone and I can't find any
    > information about what the POP3 and SMTP server names should be set for?
    > This is presumably for GPRS, if that's important.


    mycingular.com


    >
    > Also, does anyone know of a good link to a Cingular site that covers all the
    > various phone settings?

    THERE ARE NONE.


    > I've already gotten a couple of wrong answers from
    > their 611 info line,


    EVEN THE SUPERVISORS ARE CLUELESS.


    > and the Motorola manual doesn't include service
    > provider specific help.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bruce.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    > mycingular.com

    Thanks.

    > THERE ARE NONE.
    > EVEN THE SUPERVISORS ARE CLUELESS.

    Yeah. I'm beginning to regret both my purchase of the Motorola V400 and my
    choice of Cingular. Sigh.

    Bruce.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <xCWKc.4971$f4.3118@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:

    > > mycingular.com
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > > THERE ARE NONE.
    > > EVEN THE SUPERVISORS ARE CLUELESS.
    >
    > Yeah. I'm beginning to regret both my purchase of the Motorola V400 and my
    > choice of Cingular. Sigh.

    Under any circumstances any cell phone is a poor platform
    for handling email. Good Technology makes the best handheld
    email device (IMHO) and works well on the Cingular Network.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
    news:B0YKc.5$QO.0@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
    > Check Cingular.howardforums.com and particularly the FAQ there. It is a
    very
    > active forum. Just be sure to search first, as the people there get bent
    out
    > of shape when you ask a question thats been asked several times. Chances
    are
    > you will find exactly what you are looking for there, already posted
    several
    > times. It is much more active than this newsgroup is. The FAQ there is
    where
    > you will likely find all the settings for your particular phone.

    Thanks very much!

    Bruce.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <B0YKc.5$QO.0@bignews5.bellsouth.net> on Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:35:12 -0400,
    "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote:

    >Check Cingular.howardforums.com and particularly the FAQ there. It is a very
    >active forum. Just be sure to search first, as the people there get bent out
    >of shape when you ask a question thats been asked several times. Chances are
    >you will find exactly what you are looking for there, already posted several
    >times. It is much more active than this newsgroup is. The FAQ there is where
    >you will likely find all the settings for your particular phone.

    With all due respect, I think it's better to search the Web and/or Usenet with
    Google. Web forums tend to Balkanize the Internet.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <xCWKc.4971$f4.3118@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Mon, 19 Jul 2004
    20:59:09 GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:

    >> mycingular.com
    >
    >Thanks.

    Designed for WAP. Won't help with POP3 or SMTP (for a mail client in your
    phone).

    >> THERE ARE NONE.
    >> EVEN THE SUPERVISORS ARE CLUELESS.
    >
    >Yeah. I'm beginning to regret both my purchase of the Motorola V400 and my
    >choice of Cingular. Sigh.

    Why? Both are quite decent.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <rmarkoff-68B1CA.16323319072004@news2.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 19 Jul
    2004 21:32:33 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

    >In article <xCWKc.4971$f4.3118@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:
    >
    >> > mycingular.com
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> > THERE ARE NONE.
    >> > EVEN THE SUPERVISORS ARE CLUELESS.
    >>
    >> Yeah. I'm beginning to regret both my purchase of the Motorola V400 and my
    >> choice of Cingular. Sigh.
    >
    >Under any circumstances any cell phone is a poor platform
    >for handling email. ...

    Nonsense. A good cell phone (e.g., the better Sony Ericsson models) handle
    email quite well, including ASMTP and IMAP4 in addition to POP3. I send and
    receive email with my Z600 regularly. Works great.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <PHUKc.4756$f4.2915@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Mon, 19 Jul 2004
    18:48:15 GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:

    >I'm trying to set up email on my Motorola phone and I can't find any
    >information about what the POP3 and SMTP server names should be set for?
    >This is presumably for GPRS, if that's important.

    The POP3 and SMTP settings come from the email provider, not the carrier.
    While Cingular does provide email service, that service is WAP/Web-based, not
    POP3/SMTP. Thus you'll need to use some other email provider (e.g., regular
    ISP or email service).

    Receiving email by POP3 (or IMAP4) is a simple matter of entering the right
    settings from your email provider. Sending can be more difficult, because
    many providers require some sort of authentication as an anti-spam measure,
    and authentication can be problematic with a cell phone.

    photo.mycingular.com can be used as an outgoing SMTP server if you're willing
    to put up with a Cingular ad being tacked on to the end of your outgoing
    messages.

    >Also, does anyone know of a good link to a Cingular site that covers all the
    >various phone settings? I've already gotten a couple of wrong answers from
    >their 611 info line, and the Motorola manual doesn't include service
    >provider specific help.

    My website below has a link to Cingular's technical reference on phone data
    settings --
    <http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/products/pdf/DeviceSoftwareSettings.pdf>

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    news:UeULc.3683$54.52083@typhoon.sonic.net...
    > >Yeah. I'm beginning to regret both my purchase of the Motorola V400 and
    my
    > >choice of Cingular. Sigh.
    >
    > Why? Both are quite decent.

    If you say so John. I just upgraded from a Nokia phone which didn't require
    configuration AT ALL to send and receive email (AT&T was the email host).

    With this V400 and Cingular, I'm in acronym hell and total information
    overload.

    As best as I can tell, my old Nokia piggy-backed email on SMS, which worked
    perfectly for what I wanted. I was assigned an email address by AT&T and I
    could send and receive without configuring anything, usiing that assigned
    email address.

    With Cingular, I can't make the simpler email over SMS reliably (noted in
    other threads), and the Cingular email requires (to get rid of the Cingular
    spam on outgoing messages) an external SMTP and POP3 server, which is
    hopelessly complicated to configure, and doesn't seem compatible with my
    ISP's SMTP server (I believe due to authentication reasons, but that's just
    a guess).

    And even if I could get that to work, The V400 seems to be limited to
    checking the POP3 server for email no more often than once every 30 minutes.
    Totally unacceptable considering the near instantaneous delivery I got with
    email over SMS I got with AT&T and the Nokia phone.

    And even if I could get the V400 to poll more often, wouldn't I have to pay
    for the bytes exchanged every time, even if there is no new email for me?

    I'm extremely disappointed.

    Bruce.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    news:rxULc.3688$54.52157@typhoon.sonic.net...
    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    > My website below has a link to Cingular's technical reference on phone
    data
    > settings --
    >
    <http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/products/pdf/DeviceSoftwareSettings
    ..pdf>

    Thanks very much for the info and links John. It'll probably take me a few
    days to absorb a lot of the new terminology.

    Bruce.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    >With this V400 and Cingular, I'm in acronym hell and total information
    >overload.

    ANYTHING other than a Motorola would be a better choice - as you have found
    out, unfortunatly!

    --
    John S.
    e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <Q0YLc.59$uC7.31@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com> on Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:24:32
    GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    >news:UeULc.3683$54.52083@typhoon.sonic.net...

    >> >Yeah. I'm beginning to regret both my purchase of the Motorola V400 and my
    >> >choice of Cingular. Sigh.
    >>
    >> Why? Both are quite decent.
    >
    >If you say so John.

    I do, based on considerable experience.

    >I just upgraded from a Nokia phone which didn't require
    >configuration AT ALL to send and receive email (AT&T was the email host).

    When you use a supported phone, OTA provisioning usually makes it a breeze.

    >With this V400 and Cingular, I'm in acronym hell and total information
    >overload.

    Did Cingular sell you the phone? If so, boogie on in to a (real) Cingular
    store and get it fixed. If not, then you have no one to blame but yourself.

    >As best as I can tell, my old Nokia piggy-backed email on SMS, which worked
    >perfectly for what I wanted. I was assigned an email address by AT&T and I
    >could send and receive without configuring anything, usiing that assigned
    >email address.

    Email doesn't work "over SMS." Perhaps you're thinking of SMS-email
    *gateways*.

    >With Cingular, I can't make the simpler email over SMS reliably (noted in
    >other threads),

    Cingular's email-SMS gateway is reliable.

    >and the Cingular email requires (to get rid of the Cingular
    >spam on outgoing messages) an external SMTP and POP3 server, which is
    >hopelessly complicated to configure, and doesn't seem compatible with my
    >ISP's SMTP server (I believe due to authentication reasons, but that's just
    >a guess).

    That's not Cingular's fault. If you like ATTWS features better (I don't),
    then go back to ATTWS.

    >And even if I could get that to work, The V400 seems to be limited to
    >checking the POP3 server for email no more often than once every 30 minutes.
    >Totally unacceptable considering the near instantaneous delivery I got with
    >email over SMS I got with AT&T and the Nokia phone.

    That's SMS push, not phone checking. You're comparing apples and oranges.

    A real email client is much more capable than email-SMS.

    >And even if I could get the V400 to poll more often, wouldn't I have to pay
    >for the bytes exchanged every time, even if there is no new email for me?
    >
    >I'm extremely disappointed.

    It sounds like you didn't do your homework first. Features can and do vary by
    carrier, and by type of hardware.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    news:Q0YLc.59$uC7.31@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...

    |
    | As best as I can tell, my old Nokia piggy-backed email on SMS, which
    worked
    | perfectly for what I wanted. I was assigned an email address by AT&T and
    I
    | could send and receive without configuring anything, usiing that assigned
    | email address.
    |

    You can send "email" through Cingular over SMS in the same manner using
    Cingular's SMS gateway. In all your hard research before flaming, I guess
    you missed that.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    > phone).

    > >> THERE ARE NONE.
    > >> EVEN THE SUPERVISORS ARE CLUELESS.
    > >
    > >Yeah. I'm beginning to regret both my purchase of the Motorola V400 and my
    > >choice of Cingular. Sigh.

    > Why? Both are quite decent.

    Cingular service is good. It works in most places I have tried here.
    In areas where the in building signal is weak, the phone locks on attws
    and roams fine. My only complaint so far is that my minutes show up as
    none used. No activity on the account at all. I turned it on June 7th,
    changed my plan to nation850 on July 2 and still no call detail now on
    July 23rd. The only calls it ever showed were roaming on attws. No
    native Cingular usage whatsoever. Yes I have made plenty of calls on
    the phone.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
    news:Mh7Mc.16816$GT3.5874@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
    > You can send "email" through Cingular over SMS in the same manner using
    > Cingular's SMS gateway. In all your hard research before flaming, I guess
    > you missed that.

    Not at all. Az I've noted in this and other threads (do the research), the
    Ciingular email over SMS doesn't work properly.

    All the incoming message show as being from "36-245" in the inbox, and
    replies to those messages go in to a black hole somewhere, and are never
    delivered to the message originator.

    The Cingular email over SMS is unusable for those reasons, and calls to
    Cingular haven't helped.

    If you have any hints on how to make that work, I'd sure appreciate your
    constructive reply.

    Bruce.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
    news:20040722192816.16791.00001617@mb-m20.aol.com...
    > ANYTHING other than a Motorola would be a better choice - as you have
    found
    > out, unfortunatly!

    I'm afraid that seems to be true on more than one front. The camera quality
    seems to be very poor compared with others I've seen of similar resolution.

    Bruce.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <bfcMc.10704$f4.6560@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23 Jul 2004
    17:52:07 GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:

    >"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
    >news:Mh7Mc.16816$GT3.5874@bignews6.bellsouth.net...

    >> You can send "email" through Cingular over SMS in the same manner using
    >> Cingular's SMS gateway. In all your hard research before flaming, I guess
    >> you missed that.
    >
    >Not at all. Az I've noted in this and other threads (do the research), the
    >Ciingular email over SMS doesn't work properly.

    As he wrote, the Cingular SMS-email *Gateway* works properly.

    >All the incoming message show as being from "36-245" in the inbox,

    The sending email address is at the beginning of the SMS message.

    >and
    >replies to those messages go in to a black hole somewhere, and are never
    >delivered to the message originator.

    You need to address your messages properly. That's a snap on my SE Z600 --
    I just highlight the sending email address, press Send, compose the email
    message, and then send it to the SMS-email Gateway (121).

    >The Cingular email over SMS is unusable for those reasons,

    Works fine.

    >and calls to
    >Cingular haven't helped.

    Did you buy the phone from Cingular? If so, it should have been
    auto-provisioned properly.

    >If you have any hints on how to make that work, I'd sure appreciate your
    >constructive reply.

    Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <_TeMc.3884$54.55658@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <bfcMc.10704$f4.6560@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23 Jul 2004
    > 17:52:07 GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
    > >news:Mh7Mc.16816$GT3.5874@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
    >
    > >> You can send "email" through Cingular over SMS in the same manner using
    > >> Cingular's SMS gateway. In all your hard research before flaming, I guess
    > >> you missed that.
    > >
    > >Not at all. Az I've noted in this and other threads (do the research), the
    > >Ciingular email over SMS doesn't work properly.
    >
    > As he wrote, the Cingular SMS-email *Gateway* works properly.
    >
    > >All the incoming message show as being from "36-245" in the inbox,
    >
    > The sending email address is at the beginning of the SMS message.
    >
    > >and
    > >replies to those messages go in to a black hole somewhere, and are never
    > >delivered to the message originator.
    >
    > You need to address your messages properly. That's a snap on my SE Z600 --
    > I just highlight the sending email address, press Send, compose the email
    > message, and then send it to the SMS-email Gateway (121).
    >
    > >The Cingular email over SMS is unusable for those reasons,
    >
    > Works fine.
    >
    > >and calls to
    > >Cingular haven't helped.
    >
    > Did you buy the phone from Cingular? If so, it should have been
    > auto-provisioned properly.
    >
    > >If you have any hints on how to make that work, I'd sure appreciate your
    > >constructive reply.
    >
    > Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)

    Care to point us to a Cingular URL with instructions?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <rmarkoff-873157.16203323072004@news6.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23 Jul
    2004 21:20:33 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

    >In article <_TeMc.3884$54.55658@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    >> Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)
    >
    >Care to point us to a Cingular URL with instructions?

    I've already done that, as you should know if you've been paying attention.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <%lfMc.3892$54.55739@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    > In <rmarkoff-873157.16203323072004@news6.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23 Jul
    > 2004 21:20:33 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <_TeMc.3884$54.55658@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    > >> Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)
    > >
    > >Care to point us to a Cingular URL with instructions?
    >
    > I've already done that, as you should know if you've been paying attention.

    So arrogant.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    <http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/products/pdf/DeviceSoftwareSetti
    ngs.pdf>

    Is more of a reference manual than a how to.


    But how does one get there from
    http://www.cingular.com ?
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <rmarkoff-EB8316.16284623072004@news6.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23 Jul
    2004 21:28:46 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

    >In article <%lfMc.3892$54.55739@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    >> In <rmarkoff-873157.16203323072004@news6.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23 Jul
    >> 2004 21:20:33 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <_TeMc.3884$54.55658@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    >> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >> Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)
    >> >
    >> >Care to point us to a Cingular URL with instructions?
    >>
    >> I've already done that, as you should know if you've been paying attention.
    >
    >So arrogant.

    I didn't think so.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <rmarkoff-37E6A5.16355123072004@news6.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23 Jul
    2004 21:35:51 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

    ><http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/products/pdf/DeviceSoftwareSetti
    >ngs.pdf>
    >
    >Is more of a reference manual than a how to.

    Indeed. It's for those determined to walk their own path without help from
    Cingular. If you want help from Cingular, then you need to have a phone
    supported by Cingular, and use OTA provisioning, which makes it dead simple.

    >But how does one get there from
    >http://www.cingular.com ?

    One doesn't, as should be obvious -- such documents aren't appropriate for
    average consumers.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote in message
    news:bfcMc.10704$f4.6560@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    | "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
    | news:Mh7Mc.16816$GT3.5874@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
    | > You can send "email" through Cingular over SMS in the same manner using
    | > Cingular's SMS gateway. In all your hard research before flaming, I
    guess
    | > you missed that.
    |
    | Not at all. Az I've noted in this and other threads (do the research),
    the
    | Ciingular email over SMS doesn't work properly.
    |
    | All the incoming message show as being from "36-245" in the inbox, and
    | replies to those messages go in to a black hole somewhere, and are never
    | delivered to the message originator.
    |
    | The Cingular email over SMS is unusable for those reasons, and calls to
    | Cingular haven't helped.
    |
    | If you have any hints on how to make that work, I'd sure appreciate your
    | constructive reply.
    |


    If you can't get that to work, you can always go MMS route, which is better
    (albeit more expensive) than SMS due to what it can contain anyway. Addess
    to (10digit#)@mms.mycingular.com
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    news:_TeMc.3884$54.55658@typhoon.sonic.net...
    > As he wrote, the Cingular SMS-email *Gateway* works properly.

    Sorry, but it's not working on my phone. As I said, it's unusable as
    implimented and documented.

    Thanks for the info John, but nothing you've offered has improved the
    situation here at all.

    > You need to address your messages properly. That's a snap on my SE
    Z600 --
    > I just highlight the sending email address, press Send, compose the email
    > message, and then send it to the SMS-email Gateway (121).

    I have no idea what that means. I've tried chanfing the to: on replies to
    121 and the message just goes in to the same black hole as always.

    On my v400, all the incoming messages show as "36-245" (regardless of sender
    address) so there's no email address to hightlght.

    > Works fine.

    I wish.

    > Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)

    Like I said, it still doesn't work.

    Bruce.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message
    news:rmarkoff-37E6A5.16355123072004@news6.west.earthlink.net...
    > <http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/products/pdf/DeviceSoftwareSetti
    > ngs.pdf>
    >
    > Is more of a reference manual than a how to.

    It made for interesting reading, those parts that I understood, but didn't
    offer anything that helped in my case.

    Bruce.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Robert M. wrote:
    > In article <%lfMc.3892$54.55739@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>In <rmarkoff-873157.16203323072004@news6.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23 Jul
    >>2004 21:20:33 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>In article <_TeMc.3884$54.55658@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    >>>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>>Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)
    >>>
    >>>Care to point us to a Cingular URL with instructions?
    >>
    >>I've already done that, as you should know if you've been paying attention.
    >
    >
    > So arrogant.

    My guess is he's just familiar with your reputation around here.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Cambie" <user@example.net> wrote in message
    news:q-KdnayiTN-FIJ_cRVn-jg@giganews.com...
    | Robert M. wrote:
    | > In article <%lfMc.3892$54.55739@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    | > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    | >
    | >
    | >>In <rmarkoff-873157.16203323072004@news6.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 23
    Jul
    | >>2004 21:20:33 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
    | >>
    | >>
    | >>>In article <_TeMc.3884$54.55658@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    | >>>John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    | >>
    | >>>>Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)
    | >>>
    | >>>Care to point us to a Cingular URL with instructions?
    | >>
    | >>I've already done that, as you should know if you've been paying
    attention.
    | >
    | >
    | > So arrogant.
    |
    | My guess is he's just familiar with your reputation around here.

    I figured everyone had him on kill file by now.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <BWgMc.2795$NO3.2564@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com> on Fri, 23 Jul 2004
    23:11:29 GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    >news:_TeMc.3884$54.55658@typhoon.sonic.net...
    >> As he wrote, the Cingular SMS-email *Gateway* works properly.
    >
    >Sorry, but it's not working on my phone. As I said, it's unusable as
    >implimented and documented.
    >
    >Thanks for the info John, but nothing you've offered has improved the
    >situation here at all.

    The Cingular email-SMS gateway can be used with *any* phone that can send and
    receive SMS messages.

    >> You need to address your messages properly. That's a snap on my SE Z600 --
    >> I just highlight the sending email address, press Send, compose the email
    >> message, and then send it to the SMS-email Gateway (121).
    >
    >I have no idea what that means. I've tried chanfing the to: on replies to
    >121 and the message just goes in to the same black hole as always.

    It will work if the message is formatted properly.

    >On my v400, all the incoming messages show as "36-245" (regardless of sender
    >address) so there's no email address to hightlght.

    The email address is in the body of the SMS message.

    >> Works fine.
    >
    >I wish.
    >
    >> Just as I'd sure appreciate your more constructive attitude. ;-)
    >
    >Like I said, it still doesn't work.

    Why am I not surprised.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  31. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    news:RDTMc.4116$54.60948@typhoon.sonic.net...
    > Why am I not surprised.

    That's enough. Welcome to my killfile.

    Bruce.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <OCXMc.42751$eH1.20037650@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com> on Sun, 25 Jul 2004
    23:45:50 GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    >news:RDTMc.4116$54.60948@typhoon.sonic.net...

    >> Why am I not surprised.
    >
    >That's enough. Welcome to my killfile.

    How childish. Again, why am I not surprised.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  33. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    news:2%YMc.4131$54.61495@typhoon.sonic.net...
    | [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    |
    | In <OCXMc.42751$eH1.20037650@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com> on Sun, 25 Jul
    2004
    | 23:45:50 GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bachastain@XNOSPAMXsbcglobal.net> wrote:
    |
    | >"John Navas" <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message
    | >news:RDTMc.4116$54.60948@typhoon.sonic.net...
    |
    | >> Why am I not surprised.
    | >
    | >That's enough. Welcome to my killfile.
    |
    | How childish. Again, why am I not surprised.
    |

    For whatever reason, Bruce already decided it wouldn't work. That's why I
    quit replying. It is very simple to do, but he was here to rant about his
    shortcomings instead of look for help. He then got mad when he found out he
    was dead wrong.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
    news:Nb7Nc.21975$GT3.21764@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
    > For whatever reason, Bruce already decided it wouldn't work. That's why I
    > quit replying. It is very simple to do, but he was here to rant about his
    > shortcomings instead of look for help. He then got mad when he found out
    he
    > was dead wrong.

    Jason, my apologies if you posted something here that would make my v400
    work. I remember no such posting, and I believe I've tried everything
    everyone suggested without success. Email messages to me still come in with
    a reply address of 36-245 (regardless of source) and replies to those
    messages go nowhere. Nothing has changed.

    As for John, he has a long history of combative and personal attacks (he was
    the only one I ever filtered in a photography newsgroup). I had hopes he
    would be able to stick to the issues here, but it quickly became apparent
    that he is here for the combat, not to help people..

    Bruce.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <Yo8Nc.14093$iK.9773@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net> on Mon, 26 Jul 2004
    14:18:32 GMT, "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:

    >"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
    >news:Nb7Nc.21975$GT3.21764@bignews6.bellsouth.net...
    >> For whatever reason, Bruce already decided it wouldn't work. That's why I
    >> quit replying. It is very simple to do, but he was here to rant about his
    >> shortcomings instead of look for help. He then got mad when he found out he
    >> was dead wrong.
    >
    >Jason, my apologies if you posted something here that would make my v400
    >work.

    And for your attitude?

    >I remember no such posting,

    There were a number of such postings by a number of people here.

    >and I believe I've tried everything
    >everyone suggested without success.

    It's pretty clear that you don't really want to be helped -- you mostly want
    to vent and argue. The information provided is fairly simple to use and
    *does* work.

    >Email messages to me still come in with
    >a reply address of 36-245 (regardless of source) and replies to those
    >messages go nowhere. Nothing has changed.

    Indeed, including your attitude. As has been explained to you:
    1. That's the address of the incoming Gateway.
    2. The sender's email address is in the body of the message.
    3. You have to send your reply to the outgoing Gateway.
    4. The reply email address must be in the body of your message.
    How (3) and (4) are accomplished depends on the particular phone, but can
    always be done manually. If you'd had less attitude and a more open mind,
    you'd know that.

    >As for John, he has a long history of combative and personal attacks (he was
    >the only one I ever filtered in a photography newsgroup). I had hopes he
    >would be able to stick to the issues here, but it quickly became apparent
    >that he is here for the combat, not to help people..

    Ad hominem. Why am I not surprised. At least you're consistent.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  36. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <Yo8Nc.14093$iK.9773@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:

    > As for John, he has a long history of combative and personal attacks (he was
    > the only one I ever filtered in a photography newsgroup). I had hopes he
    > would be able to stick to the issues here, but it quickly became apparent
    > that he is here for the combat, not to help people..

    I disagree, he seems as much interested in trying to pat himself on the
    back.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Røbert M., while diddling his dog..answered:

    > In article <Yo8Nc.14093$iK.9773@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>As for John, he has a long history of combative and personal attacks (he was
    >>the only one I ever filtered in a photography newsgroup). I had hopes he
    >>would be able to stick to the issues here, but it quickly became apparent
    >>that he is here for the combat, not to help people..
    >
    >
    > I disagree, he seems as much interested in trying to pat himself on the
    > back.


    at least he doesn't get his jollies fellating his dog like you do.


    Frau Himmel
    Still trying to outrun the death grip clutches of The Strangler
  38. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <rmarkoff-2B77FE.10562526072004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 26 Jul
    2004 15:56:25 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

    >In article <Yo8Nc.14093$iK.9773@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    > "Bruce Chastain" <bchastain@XNOSPAMXhyperfeed.com> wrote:
    >
    >> As for John, he has a long history of combative and personal attacks (he was
    >> the only one I ever filtered in a photography newsgroup). I had hopes he
    >> would be able to stick to the issues here, but it quickly became apparent
    >> that he is here for the combat, not to help people..
    >
    >I disagree, he seems as much interested in trying to pat himself on the
    >back.

    Pot ... kettle ... ;-)

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  39. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <2mlchrFnnokvU2@uni-berlin.de>,
    Frau Himmel <Frau_Himmel@hotmail.com> while goose-stepping wrote:

    > obscene childish insults...


    But tis to be expected from the children of Germany.


    PLONK
  40. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <rmarkoff-0F11E5.17230326072004@news4.west.earthlink.net> on Mon, 26 Jul
    2004 22:23:03 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

    >In article <2mlchrFnnokvU2@uni-berlin.de>,
    > Frau Himmel <Frau_Himmel@hotmail.com> while goose-stepping wrote:
    >
    >> obscene childish insults...
    >
    >
    >But tis to be expected from the children of Germany.
    >
    >
    >PLONK

    OK, Røbert and Frau Himmel, enough already. This exchange clearly violates
    the charter of this newsgroup (which I wrote). If it continues, complaints
    will be filed with your news providers. Either grow up, or go someplace else.

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  41. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <YHiNc.4300$54.64428@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    > OK, Røbert and Frau Himmel, enough already. This exchange clearly violates
    > the charter of this newsgroup (which I wrote). If it continues, complaints
    > will be filed with your news providers. Either grow up, or go someplace else.

    Poor Navas, thinks he runs USENET.

    This group is unmoderated.

    Go complain to a German ISP and see what it gets you.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

    In <rmarkoff-15309D.21111426072004@news4.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 27 Jul
    2004 02:11:14 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

    >In article <YHiNc.4300$54.64428@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    >
    >> OK, Røbert and Frau Himmel, enough already. This exchange clearly violates
    >> the charter of this newsgroup (which I wrote). If it continues, complaints
    >> will be filed with your news providers. Either grow up, or go someplace else.
    >
    >Poor Navas, thinks he runs USENET.
    >
    >This group is unmoderated.
    >
    >Go complain to a German ISP and see what it gets you.

    Irrelevant -- we can filter your posts to major news servers.
    So keep right on being a jerk, and see where it gets you. ;-)

    --
    Best regards, HELP FOR CINGULAR GSM & SONY ERICSSON PHONES:
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>
  43. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <LOkNc.4308$54.64657@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

    > [POSTED TO alt.cellular.cingular - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
    >
    > In <rmarkoff-15309D.21111426072004@news4.west.earthlink.net> on Tue, 27 Jul
    > 2004 02:11:14 GMT, "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <YHiNc.4300$54.64428@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> OK, Røbert and Frau Himmel, enough already. This exchange clearly
    > >> violates
    > >> the charter of this newsgroup (which I wrote). If it continues,
    > >> complaints
    > >> will be filed with your news providers. Either grow up, or go someplace
    > >> else.
    > >
    > >Poor Navas, thinks he runs USENET.
    > >
    > >This group is unmoderated.
    > >
    > >Go complain to a German ISP and see what it gets you.
    >
    > Irrelevant -- we can filter your posts to major news servers.
    > So keep right on being a jerk, and see where it gets you. ;-)

    You sure have delusions of grandeur. I am not the one using bad language
    and calling people names.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cingular POP3 Servers Motorola SMTP Internet Service Providers