Why do people post "fake" versions of samples or roms to c..

Last response: in Video Games
June 7, 2005 12:30:14 PM

Hi,

Why do people create/post "fake" versions of samples or roms to complete a
set? It really isn't completing their set and it would seem confusing to me
as how would they know what is real and what is fake in their set...

What is really missing from 0.97 right now? I am missing choko.zip and the
samples for crash/ripcord/robotbwl.

Thanks,

SA Dev
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:30:15 PM

Fake samples or roms are only created for samples/roms which aren't
recorded/dumped. So the dummy files are placeholders and they can be
easily recognized / removed since they are marked as dummies in a
belonging filedescription (datfile) file.

Missing from 97...well....the official answer is of course: all files
you don't have the original roms for. 2 choko files aren't marked
correctly as nodump in 97. The provided checksums come from a hoarded
choko set.

There are several samples of several sets which aren't recorded yet.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:11:52 PM

I guess people get all flustered when they see that red button next to
the profiler results in clrmamepro! :)

I have seen a 'fake' posting of choko.zip (it said so in the title).
I didn't download it as, like yourself, I don't see the point.
But how are you supposed to know if someone maliciously posts fake roms,
or if you unwittingly download faked ones?
I guess the only way to know is to enable ALL checksum tests in clrmamepro
ie unzip and check both CRC32 and SHA1.
Surely there's no other possible file of a given size (other than the true
original) that would give the same checksums using TWO algorithms, right?
(I hope!)
I must admit I'm not too familiar with the way those checksums work.

Anyone know for sure?
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:26:56 PM

Because I forgot to show it 8) There were some issue under Linux/WINE
with the old hiding method...so I used a new one which works
fine....but hides the taskbar window too under windows ;)
Guess that'll be changed with upcoming releases
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:50:36 PM

Hi Roman,

OT, but, why does clrmamepro not show up in the programs bar at the bottom?
I can alt-tab to it, but I don't see it in the menu bar to click on...

BTW, clrmamepro is an excellent utility!

Thanks,

SA Dev
June 7, 2005 5:52:05 PM

SA Development wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why do people create/post "fake" versions of samples or roms to complete a
> set? It really isn't completing their set and it would seem confusing to me
> as how would they know what is real and what is fake in their set...
>
> What is really missing from 0.97 right now? I am missing choko.zip and the
> samples for crash/ripcord/robotbwl.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SA Dev

I think there are Pokerom collectors and there are pokerom collectors!
I think there must be people out there that cannot stand to see the
little red 'X' in clrmamepro :-)
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 6:25:50 PM

On 2005-06-07, wishus <me@here.com> wrote:
> Surely there's no other possible file of a given size (other than the true
> original) that would give the same checksums using TWO algorithms, right?
> (I hope!)

At that point nobody knows how to fake a sha1 in the first place.

OG.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:48:35 AM

"D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in news:Sdkpe.22038$_o.3336
@attbi_s71:

> or possibly Bain Dramage.

I thought it was Drain Bramage.

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

* Peale wrote in alt.games.mame:
> "D Widel" <pacman@mailblocks.com> wrote in news:Sdkpe.22038$_o.3336
> @attbi_s71:

>> or possibly Bain Dramage.

> I thought it was Drain Bramage.

Are you Nuckin Futs?

--
David
Last week's pet, this week's special.

"SA Development" <nospam38925@forme.com> wrote in

> Why do people create/post "fake" versions of samples or roms to
> complete a set?

Why Do the MAMEDevs add games when the "real" roms are not available?
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 8:26:22 AM

BWA wrote:
> "SA Development" <nospam38925@forme.com> wrote in
>
>> Why do people create/post "fake" versions of samples or roms to
>> complete a set?
>
> Why Do the MAMEDevs add games when the "real" roms are not available?

Good point. :-)
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:59:35 PM

On 2005-06-08, BWA <no@no.no> wrote:
> "SA Development" <nospam38925@forme.com> wrote in
>
>> Why do people create/post "fake" versions of samples or roms to
>> complete a set?
>
> Why Do the MAMEDevs add games when the "real" roms are not available?

Why don't you just dump the roms from your pcb?

OG.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 1:52:33 PM

"wishus" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> Surely there's no other possible file of a given size (other than the true
> original) that would give the same checksums using TWO algorithms, right?
> (I hope!)
> I must admit I'm not too familiar with the way those checksums work.
>
> Anyone know for sure?

I am almost sure that, for every file, there is a different file that gives
the same checksum using these two algorithms.
But it is almost impossible to find it.

AS
!