  • Hardware
Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2004 2:36:36 AM

What's so magic about 4GHz? Is nobody able to get beyond this value. Is
there some fundamental architecture issue here?
--
Grumps

More about : problem 4ghz

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2004 2:36:37 AM

"Grumpycrab" <Grumpycrab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's so magic about 4GHz? Is nobody able to get beyond this value. Is
> there some fundamental architecture issue here?
> --
> Grumps

With some pretty extreme cooling, some Prescott cores have gone over 5GHz.

MC
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2004 3:06:32 AM

Only money.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"Grumpycrab" <Grumpycrab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's so magic about 4GHz? Is nobody able to get beyond this value. Is
> there some fundamental architecture issue here?
> --
> Grumps

a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2004 3:28:33 AM

"Grumpycrab" <Grumpycrab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's so magic about 4GHz? Is nobody able to get beyond this value. Is
> there some fundamental architecture issue here?
> --
> Grumps

Break out the liquid nitrogen, and theres no problem at all...

hamman
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 16, 2004 6:04:00 PM

poorly designed chips........

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
Anonymous

I think the main stream consumer has lost the appetite for more GHz. Unlike
the 'old-days' the fact is now most systems are more than fast enough to do
anything 'most' people want, so there is no business case for the
manufacturers spending a fortune on developing ever faster chips in a short
time scale, when there is no mass market there for them.

"Grumpycrab" <Grumpycrab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What's so magic about 4GHz? Is nobody able to get beyond this value. Is
> there some fundamental architecture issue here?
> --
> Grumps

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2004 1:23:28 AM

Stephen Gordon wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> mark krawczuk wrote:
>>
>>> the thing is they could make a 10ghz cpu,
>>

>> And you base this assertion on what?
>

> http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2003/01/a290103nehale...
>
> :p
>
> -Steve

In the first place it's an old article speculating about things that did
not come to pass but, even if it were still valid, 'hoping to in the
future' is not the same as 'can do', much less 'can do now'.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2004 3:46:20 AM

<quote>
And, if an article in The Inquirer is right, we may be looking at a 10.2GHz
CPU by 2005.
</>

ROFL yeah right

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
"Stephen Gordon" <s4054252@student.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> David Maynard wrote:
> > mark krawczuk wrote:
> >
> >> the thing is they could make a 10ghz cpu,
> >

> > And you base this assertion on what?
>

> http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2003/01/a290103nehale...
>
> :p
>
> -Steve
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2004 4:22:38 AM

Stephen Gordon wrote:
> David Maynard wrote:
>> mark krawczuk wrote:
>>
>>> the thing is they could make a 10ghz cpu,
>>
>> And you base this assertion on what?
>
> http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2003/01/a290103nehale...

This was written over a year and a half ago ... things have changed
significantly since then :)  The chip that was supposed to lay the groundwork
(Tejas) for the chip that was to hit 10GHz (Nehalem) has been cancelled,
supposedly due to excessive heat. Intel has all but said "yeah, we found the
MHz ceiling, so we're done up here and coming back down", and has fallen
back to a revamped P3 design that runs at a slower speed but performs just
as well. So don't get your hopes up for a 10GHz chip in the near future.

--
Michael Brown
August 20, 2004 7:53:14 AM

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I think the main stream consumer has lost the appetite for more GHz. Unlike
> the 'old-days' the fact is now most systems are more than fast enough to do
> anything 'most' people want, so there is no business case for the
> manufacturers spending a fortune on developing ever faster chips in a short
> time scale, when there is no mass market there for them.

I suppose most people have computers as fast as they want, but I'm pretty sure I
could almost max out a 10GHz cpu...

I could probably use a couple terabytes of hard drive space to go with it
though.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2004 10:53:46 PM

Stephen Gordon wrote:
> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> mark krawczuk wrote:
>>
>>> the thing is they could make a 10ghz cpu,
>>

>> And you base this assertion on what?
>

> http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2003/01/a290103nehale...
>
> :p
>
> -Steve

I like how everyone ignored my smiley suggesting some sarcasm. It gives
me a warm fuzzy feeling.

-Steve
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
August 21, 2004 5:08:57 AM

Stephen Gordon wrote:
> Stephen Gordon wrote:
>> David Maynard wrote:

>>> And you base this assertion on what?
>>
>> http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2003/01/a290103nehale...

>> -Steve
>
> I like how everyone ignored my smiley suggesting some sarcasm. It
> gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Might want to use a smiley that doesn't look like quoted text next time :)

--
Michael Brown
a b K Overclocking

Michael Brown wrote:

> Might want to use a smiley that doesn't look like quoted text next time :)
>
> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open