BIOS settings for overclocking a 440BX MB with a PIII

Hi, all

I have an Asus P2B MB with a 440BX chipset and would like to install a
PIII-650 using an Abit slotket.

My question is, what BIOS settings would I use?

In particular: SDRAM Configuration
SDRAM CAS Latency
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay
SDRAM RAS Precharge time
SDRAM Dram Idle Timer
SDRAM MA Wait State

Please forgive me in advance, I'm new to overclocking.

Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.

ed.

The computer has a variety of RAM -- PNY, Kingston, etc -- for a total of
192MB. All modules are SDRAM, PC100, CL=2 and non-ECC.

My brother tried overclocking this computer to a PIII, keeping the FSB at
100Mhz, but he got random freezes and occansionally the computer would not
boot.

It seems to me the solution is the SDRAM configuration. Presently, the
SDRAM Configuration is "By SPD" and the timings are all 2T. A Slot 1 PII
processor at 100Mhz is also presently used.

ed.

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message
> ed collins wrote:
> > Hi, all
> >
> > I have an Asus P2B MB with a 440BX chipset and would like to install a
> > PIII-650 using an Abit slotket.
> >
> > My question is, what BIOS settings would I use?
> >
> > In particular: SDRAM Configuration
> > SDRAM CAS Latency
> > SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay
> > SDRAM RAS Precharge time
> > SDRAM Dram Idle Timer
> > SDRAM MA Wait State
> >
> > Please forgive me in advance, I'm new to overclocking.
> >
> > Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.
>
> Is there a "By SPD" option? Go with that. Without more detail about your
RAM

ed collins wrote:

> The computer has a variety of RAM -- PNY, Kingston, etc -- for a total of
> 192MB. All modules are SDRAM, PC100, CL=2 and non-ECC.
>
> My brother tried overclocking this computer to a PIII, keeping the FSB at
> 100Mhz, but he got random freezes and occansionally the computer would not
> boot.

I gather you mean he plugged a P-III into it and tried to run it at 100MHz
FSB. That's isn't "overclocking" as you're running the P-III at the stock
clock frequency.

The first thing you need to check is the BIOS rev level. Second is the
board rev level. The very early P2Bs have problems coppermine P-IIIs
because of the voltage regulator limitations.

A little research never hurts. Google is your friend. "P2B PIII" hit #8

http://www.overclockers.com/tips296/

> It seems to me the solution is the SDRAM configuration. Presently, the
> SDRAM Configuration is "By SPD" and the timings are all 2T. A Slot 1 PII
> processor at 100Mhz is also presently used.

If you want to see if its the RAM causing the problem then set all the
values to the maximum, which runs the RAM at the slowest, hence 'safest',
speed.

> ed.
>
> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote in message
>
>>ed collins wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, all
>>>
>>>I have an Asus P2B MB with a 440BX chipset and would like to install a
>>>PIII-650 using an Abit slotket.
>>>
>>>My question is, what BIOS settings would I use?
>>>
>>>In particular: SDRAM Configuration
>>> SDRAM CAS Latency
>>> SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay
>>> SDRAM RAS Precharge time
>>> SDRAM Dram Idle Timer
>>> SDRAM MA Wait State
>>>
>>>Please forgive me in advance, I'm new to overclocking.
>>>
>>>Any and all replies would certainly be appreciated.
>>
>>Is there a "By SPD" option? Go with that. Without more detail about your
>
> RAM
>
>>(as that's what those setting effect) and FSB speed it's the best answer
>>you're going to get.
>>--
>>~misfit~

Spajky

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:57:42 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>If you want to see if its the RAM causing the problem then set all the
>values to the maximum, which runs the RAM at the slowest, hence 'safest',
>speed.

.... & use first only 1 ram stick at the time to localize the
problematic ram stick (or possible ram slot) by changing also ram slot
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##