Maxtor/Promise Ultra ATA 133 Controller

Hey all,

Does anyone have a BIOS back up for the Maxtor branded card?? I
mistakenly flashed my Maxtor card with the Promise bios and forgot to
back up the Maxtor version. I tried to find one on Maxtor's site but
they just list the driver. Promise lists previous drivers and
bios's...why doesn't Maxtor?? Very frustrating.

Please post here if possible. The file is only 16k. If not, let me
know and I can supply my e-mail. Any help would be appreciated!!

You could...
Get another card from your local retailer. Use whatever utility you used to
backup the bios from the NEW card. Install your old card and use the utility
to flash the new bios in then return the new card. A little convoluted but
it should work.
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

"yawny" <yawny@alwaystired.org> wrote in message
> Hey all,
>
> Does anyone have a BIOS back up for the Maxtor branded card?? I
> mistakenly flashed my Maxtor card with the Promise bios and forgot to
> back up the Maxtor version. I tried to find one on Maxtor's site but
> they just list the driver. Promise lists previous drivers and
> bios's...why doesn't Maxtor?? Very frustrating.
>
> Please post here if possible. The file is only 16k. If not, let me
> know and I can supply my e-mail. Any help would be appreciated!!

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:29:42 -0400, "Alceryes"
<replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote:

>You could...
>Get another card from your local retailer. Use whatever utility you used to
>backup the bios from the NEW card. Install your old card and use the utility
>to flash the new bios in then return the new card. A little convoluted but
>it should work.

Yeah...I thought of that too but my conscience wouldn't let me. I was
able to contact a member of another forum and had the bios e-mailed to
me. I flashed the card but it didn't help my problem though. My mouse
and sound events stutter and thought updating the bios and drivers
would fix it. No dice. I anyone else has this problem and can offer
suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks again.

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:47:35 GMT, yawny <yawny@alwaystired.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:29:42 -0400, "Alceryes"
><replytopost@thankyou.com> wrote:
>
>>You could...
>>Get another card from your local retailer. Use whatever utility you used to
>>backup the bios from the NEW card. Install your old card and use the utility
>>to flash the new bios in then return the new card. A little convoluted but
>>it should work.
>
>Yeah...I thought of that too but my conscience wouldn't let me. I was
>able to contact a member of another forum and had the bios e-mailed to
>me. I flashed the card but it didn't help my problem though. My mouse
>and sound events stutter and thought updating the bios and drivers
>would fix it. No dice. I anyone else has this problem and can offer
>suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks again.

I think I found the problem...the Maxtor driver has a Cache Flush
feature in the driver properties that the Promise driver does not
have. With this feature enabled I get the stuttering problem. With it
disabled...no stuttering.

I've gone back to the latest Promise bios and drivers and all is good.
Don't know what's up with the Maxtor drivers, but it seems to run
better with the Promise versions. Thanks again for your help.