MAME spinner question

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

Hi there, I have a wiring question.

I am thinking of getting the Slikstik Tornado spinner for my MAME cab
but I have one small issue. I currently have a trackball mouse on the
machine but due to space limitations on the front of the cabinet I have
turned the trackball 90 degrees and simply changed the mouse settings
orientation to match.
http://www.computerspacefan.com/trackball.JPG
It works like a charm, however if I now install a spinner, I am worried
that instead of the device controlling left<->right movement, due to
the 90 change in the mouse properties, I will be controlling up<->down
instead.
Does anyone know if the Slikstik Tornado can be rewired to control a
different orientation?
http://www.slikstik.com/spinner.htm

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

Ooops I guess I should have read lower down on that Slikstik page I
posted. It says it right there ...

· Switchable (axis) operation via onboard jumper.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

Did you click on the link I put? If that is still not clear to you what
a spinner is, it's a limitless rotating controller that was used in
original games like Tempest, Tron, Arkanoid, Break Out, etc.
MAME does use a mouse but it's just not as good as a spinner for these
games. The one made by Slikstik looks like a mouse interface to MAME.

Always happy to advise a newbie. We were all there once.

computerspacefan@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi there, I have a wiring question.
>
> I am thinking of getting the Slikstik Tornado spinner for my MAME cab
> but I have one small issue. I currently have a trackball mouse on the
> machine but due to space limitations on the front of the cabinet I
> have turned the trackball 90 degrees and simply changed the mouse
> settings orientation to match.
> http://www.computerspacefan.com/trackball.JPG
> It works like a charm, however if I now install a spinner, I am
> worried that instead of the device controlling left<->right movement,
> due to the 90 change in the mouse properties, I will be controlling
> up<->down instead.
> Does anyone know if the Slikstik Tornado can be rewired to control a
> different orientation?
> http://www.slikstik.com/spinner.htm

I'm sorry if this is a newbie question, but I am clueless to what a spinner
is.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

Ugh .... good point. Now our poor newbie friend will be asking what the
difference is. A pot is almost the same as a spinner but it has a limit
(in other words it stops when you turn it 'all the way' in one
direction and the same the other way).
The early games like Break Out and Pong used them.
So, if you give a round controller a spin and it keeps going and going,
it is a spinner. If it reaches a point where it stops, it is a pot
(short for potentiometer, a variable resistor which the circuit uses to
know where you want the bat to move).

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

computerspacefan@hotmail.com wrote:
> Did you click on the link I put? If that is still not clear to you
> what a spinner is, it's a limitless rotating controller that was used
> in original games like Tempest, Tron, Arkanoid, Break Out, etc.
> MAME does use a mouse but it's just not as good as a spinner for these
> games. The one made by Slikstik looks like a mouse interface to MAME.
>
> Always happy to advise a newbie. We were all there once.

Yes...sadly. :) It's hard to believe that I used to be blasting off about
being a proud top-poster. Now even I say that stunk, now that I have used
Usenet more and seen how top-posting really is annoying, even though Outlook
Express loves it.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

computerspacefan@hotmail.com wrote:
> Ugh .... good point. Now our poor newbie friend will be asking what
> the difference is. A pot is almost the same as a spinner but it has a
> limit (in other words it stops when you turn it 'all the way' in one
> direction and the same the other way).
> The early games like Break Out and Pong used them.
> So, if you give a round controller a spin and it keeps going and
> going, it is a spinner. If it reaches a point where it stops, it is a
> pot (short for potentiometer, a variable resistor which the circuit
> uses to know where you want the bat to move).

Thank you. It's always good when someone can read your mind. :)

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> computerspacefan@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Did you click on the link I put? If that is still not clear to
>> you what a spinner is, it's a limitless rotating controller that
>> was used in original games like Tempest, Tron, Arkanoid, Break
>> Out, etc. MAME does use a mouse but it's just not as good as a
>> spinner for these games. The one made by Slikstik looks like a
>> mouse interface to MAME.
>>
>> Always happy to advise a newbie. We were all there once.
>
> Yes...sadly. :) It's hard to believe that I used to be blasting
> off about being a proud top-poster. Now even I say that stunk, now
> that I have used Usenet more and seen how top-posting really is
> annoying, even though Outlook Express loves it.

Outlook Express knows nothing of top or bottom posting, its up to the
human behind the keyboard.

--
David

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> Yes...sadly. :) It's hard to believe that I used to be blasting
>> off about being a proud top-poster. Now even I say that stunk, now
>> that I have used Usenet more and seen how top-posting really is
>> annoying, even though Outlook Express loves it
> Outlook Express knows nothing of top or bottom posting, its up to the
> human behind the keyboard.

Yeah, but it encourages stupid people to do stupid things by placing the
cursor in a stupid place

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
> body were:
>> * AnonyMouse Wrote in alt.games.mame:

>>> Yes...sadly. :) It's hard to believe that I used to be blasting
>>> off about being a proud top-poster. Now even I say that stunk,
>>> now that I have used Usenet more and seen how top-posting really
>>> is annoying, even though Outlook Express loves it

>> Outlook Express knows nothing of top or bottom posting, its up to
>> the human behind the keyboard.

> Yeah, but it encourages stupid people to do stupid things by
> placing the cursor in a stupid place

Nonsense, it encourages smart people to do the right thing by
trimming as they go through the post. Putting the cursor at the
bottom is just as bad if not worse. Stupid people need no
encouragement.

--
David

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> Nonsense, it encourages smart people to do the right thing by
> trimming as they go through the post. Putting the cursor at the
> bottom is just as bad if not worse. Stupid people need no
> encouragement.

But if you have to take stupid people into account and plan for them

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

* Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
> body were:
>> Nonsense, it encourages smart people to do the right thing by
>> trimming as they go through the post. Putting the cursor at the
>> bottom is just as bad if not worse. Stupid people need no
>> encouragement.
>
> But if you have to take stupid people into account and plan for
> them

No you dont, nor can you. How does placing the cursor at the bottom
make it any better?

--
David

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> * Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
>> body were:
>>> Nonsense, it encourages smart people to do the right thing by
>>> trimming as they go through the post. Putting the cursor at the
>>> bottom is just as bad if not worse. Stupid people need no
>>> encouragement.
>> But if you have to take stupid people into account and plan for
>> them
> No you dont, nor can you. How does placing the cursor at the bottom
> make it any better?

So that morons start typing there, because they dont know better, and
they'll slowly learn.

(BTW, I'm not talking the mouse cursor)

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

* Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
> body were:
>> * Hellmark Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>>> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
>>> his body were:
>>> But if you have to take stupid people into account and plan for
>>> them
>> No you dont, nor can you. How does placing the cursor at the
>> bottom make it any better?
>
> So that morons start typing there, because they dont know better,
> and they'll slowly learn.

OK so when I post the stats and they are ~250 lines and someone
clicks reply in their reader, they get all 250 lines of quoted text
and a cursor at the bottom so they can type "Thanks" and click post,
and this is somehow less stupid than putting the cursor at the top
and top possting?

> (BTW, I'm not talking the mouse cursor)

What would make you think _I_ was?

The bottom line is that it matter not where the software puts the
cursor, its up to the poster to do the right thing. Xnews was changed
to place the cursor at the top after may years of it defaulting to
the bottom for jsut the reason described.

--
David

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

SINNER wrote:

Snipped

> The bottom line is that it matter not where the software puts the
> cursor, its up to the poster to do the right thing. Xnews was changed
> to place the cursor at the top after may years of it defaulting to
> the bottom for just the reason described.

Personally I dont think it really matters. As long as the user knows the
conventions that you are supposed to use on usenet. The problem is,
when anyone joins newsgroups, you do not know you are supposed to
'research' how to behave and how to post, you do not know what a FAQ is,
what trolls are etc.

Worrying where the cursor goes is the least of some hapless newbies
problems. Mozilla Thunderbird puts the cursor at the bottom BTW!

MCR

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> SINNER wrote:
>
> Snipped
>
>> The bottom line is that it matter not where the software puts the
>> cursor, its up to the poster to do the right thing. Xnews was
>> changed to place the cursor at the top after may years of it
>> defaulting to the bottom for just the reason described.
>
> Personally I dont think it really matters. As long as the user
> knows the conventions that you are supposed to use on usenet.

Which is all I have been saying.

> The
> problem is, when anyone joins newsgroups, you do not know you are
> supposed to 'research' how to behave and how to post, you do not
> know what a FAQ is, what trolls are etc.

That depends. When I first got on the net my ISP at the time made
those things clear. ISP's now care less about the qaulity of its
users and more about the quantity of them. All this said, finding
Usenet was a much different prospect many years ago and on the way
there you found the 'rules'.

--
David

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

> original games like Tempest, Tron, Arkanoid, Break Out, etc.

Breakout used a pot :)

"SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
> Outlook Express knows nothing of top or bottom posting, its up to the
> human behind the keyboard.

Not entirely true. One of the more annoying behaviors of OE is to dump the
signature above the quoted post, which is asking a lazy person to top-post.
However, with OEQuoteFix, the quote is placed at the bottom, the seperator
is redone so that signature-snipping newsreaders can read it, and a bunch of
other nice news-friendly things are done. It can be downloaded at
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/.
--
Chris Lemon
clemon79@comcast.net

> --
> David

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> * Hellmark wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
>> were:
>>> The bottom line is that it matter not where the software puts the
>>> cursor, its up to the poster to do the right thing. Xnews was changed
>>> to place the cursor at the top after may years of it defaulting to
>>> the bottom for jsut the reason described.
>> Yeah, but problem is, many people starting out anymore are completely
>> clueless and don't know how things are. Simple nudges here and there seem
>> to help
> But that has nothing to do with cursor placement...

I'd say that'd qualify as a nudge, same as how some programs (Pan and a
few others I've tried) tell you if you have too little nonquoted text.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

"AnonyMouse" <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in

> computerspacefan@hotmail.com wrote:
>> Did you click on the link I put? If that is still not clear to you
>> what a spinner is, it's a limitless rotating controller that was used
>> in original games like Tempest, Tron, Arkanoid, Break Out, etc.
>> MAME does use a mouse but it's just not as good as a spinner for these
>> games. The one made by Slikstik looks like a mouse interface to MAME.
>>
>> Always happy to advise a newbie. We were all there once.
>
> Yes...sadly. :) It's hard to believe that I used to be blasting off
> about being a proud top-poster. Now even I say that stunk, now that I
> have used Usenet more and seen how top-posting really is annoying, even
> though Outlook Express loves it.

Now you just need to get yourself a decent news reader 'Mouse. :)

A few folk in here use Xnews (Google it to find links) but there are lots
of readers that others use too. Find one that you're happy with but dump OE
for news. As you said, you're getting more used to usenet so time to make
another jump to a better reader.

FYI: It took me awhile to get used to xnews from OE. But now I wouldn't use
any other reader. I also have no idea of about 90% of what xnews can do but
I don't need to to use it.

--
Alex Devlin

"Never knowingly understood."

Hellmark wrote:
> SINNER's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
> body were:
>> Nonsense, it encourages smart people to do the right thing by
>> trimming as they go through the post. Putting the cursor at the
>> bottom is just as bad if not worse. Stupid people need no
>> encouragement.
>
> But if you have to take stupid people into account and plan for them

I agree, most newbies start with OE as their first newsreader.

MCR wrote:
> SINNER wrote:
>
> Snipped
>
>> The bottom line is that it matter not where the software puts the
>> cursor, its up to the poster to do the right thing. Xnews was changed
>> to place the cursor at the top after may years of it defaulting to
>> the bottom for just the reason described.
>
> Personally I dont think it really matters. As long as the user knows
> the conventions that you are supposed to use on usenet. The problem
> is, when anyone joins newsgroups, you do not know you are supposed to
> 'research' how to behave and how to post, you do not know what a FAQ
> is, what trolls are etc.
>
> Worrying where the cursor goes is the least of some hapless newbies
> problems. Mozilla Thunderbird puts the cursor at the bottom BTW!
>
> MCR

But you, like I on my computer that uses it instead of OE, can always
configure it to put the cursor at the top.

Alex Devlin wrote:
> "AnonyMouse" <send_me_some_spam@nomail.afraid.org> wrote in
>
>> computerspacefan@hotmail.com wrote:
>>> Did you click on the link I put? If that is still not clear to you
>>> what a spinner is, it's a limitless rotating controller that was
>>> used in original games like Tempest, Tron, Arkanoid, Break Out, etc.
>>> MAME does use a mouse but it's just not as good as a spinner for
>>> these games. The one made by Slikstik looks like a mouse interface
>>> to MAME.
>>>
>>> Always happy to advise a newbie. We were all there once.
>>
>> Yes...sadly. :) It's hard to believe that I used to be blasting off
>> about being a proud top-poster. Now even I say that stunk, now that I
>> have used Usenet more and seen how top-posting really is annoying,
>> even though Outlook Express loves it.
>>

> Now you just need to get yourself a decent news reader 'Mouse. :)
>
> A few folk in here use Xnews (Google it to find links) but there are
> lots of readers that others use too. Find one that you're happy with
> but dump OE for news. As you said, you're getting more used to usenet
> so time to make another jump to a better reader.
>
> FYI: It took me awhile to get used to xnews from OE. But now I
> wouldn't use any other reader. I also have no idea of about 90% of
> what xnews can do but I don't need to to use it.

I even installed Xnews once...but I have a virus on my computer that will be
removed as soon as I can backup and format my hard drive which is keeping
any programs installed after a certain date from accessing the Internet
connection. Outlook Express got in before the virus got installed, Xnews is
unfortunately too late. :-(

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

AnonyMouse wrote:

Re: Thunderbird settings

> But you, like I on my computer that uses it instead of OE, can always
> configure it to put the cursor at the top.

Where is the setting?

mcr

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,alt.games.mame (More info?)

AnonyMouse wrote:
Snipped

> I even installed Xnews once...but I have a virus on my computer that will be
> removed as soon as I can backup and format my hard drive which is keeping
> any programs installed after a certain date from accessing the Internet
> connection. Outlook Express got in before the virus got installed, Xnews is
> unfortunately too late. :-(

Which is Damn strange as virus writers usually target OE and IE, not
every other system leaving OE and IE alone!