Basic Newbie help please

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
May 13, 2005 5:20:48 AM

Hope I ask thios correctly.
If I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router Linksys WRT54GS 11g.
If I hardwire my desktop and use the wireless card (linksys) for my laptop.
then I use my desktop(hardwired) when I log into , say, my visa credit card
site. Since the Desktop is hardwired to the router, does the wireless aspect
of security (or lack of) still enter into the picture? I am so very paranoid
of this wireless stuff, but I would love to sit on my porch with my laptop
some days(not going to credit card sites though, that's why I purchased the
router and the card.
I can follow all the stuff I read and find about wireless security, is this
good enough?
Thanks, weird question I guess
Frank

More about : basic newbie

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 13, 2005 7:55:46 AM

Frank wrote:
> Thanks, weird question I guess

Not at all. I have exactly the same circumstances,
and I asked myself the same questions.

> If I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router
> Linksys WRT54GS 11g.

Me, too.

> Since the Desktop is
> hardwired to the router, does the wireless aspect of security
> (or lack of) still enter into the picture?

Not exactly. What I mean is: someone "sniffing" the wireless
network signal should not see bits that are transmitted over
the wired connection, even though it is the same subnet. With
one caveat: any broadcasts over the wired connection might
appear on the wireless signal. But HTTPS traffic is unicast.

But as someone else pointed out, someone might be able to
send packets to your wired computer over the wireless network.
I suspect that XP Pro is more vulnerable than XP Home. I
believe that XP Pro supports some remote access protocols.
I don't know if XP Home does.

(I have not yet experimented to see which remote access
protocols, if any, I can disable with my firewall, and the
system will continue to function properly.)

> I am so very paranoid of this wireless stuff

As you should be.

> I can follow all the stuff I read and find about wireless
> security, is this good enough?

IMHO, it is. I presume you took the following precautions,
at least: chose a non-default and clever password for the
Linksys admin; chose a non-default SSID name; chose Passphrase
authetication, at least, and chose a clever Passphrase; disabled
SSID broadcast. Someone else mentioned MAC address filtering.
I did not want to go that far, since I have visitors who want
to use the network.
May 13, 2005 1:53:25 PM

Hi
Bear in mind that though the same word Security is used to describe Secure
Internet Connection and Secure Wireless from a Computer functioning
perspective there is No relation between the two.
Wireless Security has Nothing to do with securing the Internet Connection.
Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by
people in the neighborhood attaching them self to your Signal and use your
LAN and your LAN's Internet Connection. To avoid Local Tapping there are
Wireless Security measures. These measures are unique to the Wireless
components, and have to be used even if there is No Internet Connection.
These short pages describe the basic principles of functional Wireless
Security.
WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Internet Security.
Cable/DSL Router Hardware NAT and Firewall/AntiVirus/AntiSpy applications
are the ones that protect the Internet connection from being
invaded/infested, and preventing your LAN computers (Wired and Wireless)
from transmitting out to the Internet privileged information.
All the computers (as a Network) would have basic Internet protection by
using a Cable/DSL Router. In addition, each computer on your Network that
has access to the Internet should have its own Internet Connection
protection regardless of whether it uses Wire or Wireless.
Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
Assemble Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection:
http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
In addition you should have tools available to clean your computers if they
get Infested with Internet "Junk".
Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:o x7IHu3VFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hope I ask thios correctly.
> If I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router Linksys WRT54GS
11g.
> If I hardwire my desktop and use the wireless card (linksys) for my
laptop.
> then I use my desktop(hardwired) when I log into , say, my visa credit
card
> site. Since the Desktop is hardwired to the router, does the wireless
aspect
> of security (or lack of) still enter into the picture? I am so very
paranoid
> of this wireless stuff, but I would love to sit on my porch with my laptop
> some days(not going to credit card sites though, that's why I purchased
the
> router and the card.
> I can follow all the stuff I read and find about wireless security, is
this
> good enough?
> Thanks, weird question I guess
> Frank

Related resources
May 13, 2005 3:15:31 PM

Thanks, I guess their is no Sure fire answer to: is it possible to be
totally secure(secure as no home wireless network) and do online banking. I
protect and monitor my computer with care and determination. I use zone
alrm, NAV, spwareguard (free, fabulous program) and adware professional. I
run spybot frequently. I have not had a problem at all since I started this
serious approach (about 3 years) This is part of the reason I am so paranoid
about wireless in my home?
thanks again to all who replied, it's greatly appreciated
Frank

"Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> If I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router Linksys WRT54GS
> 11g.
>> If I hardwire my desktop and use the wireless card (linksys) for my
> laptop.
>> then I use my desktop(hardwired) when I log into , say, my visa credit
> card
>> site. Since the Desktop is hardwired to the router, does the wireless
> aspect
>> of security (or lack of) still enter into the picture? I am so very
> paranoid
>> of this wireless stuff, but I would love to sit on my porch with my
>> laptop
>> some days(not going to credit card sites though, that's why I purchased
> the
>> router and the card.
>> I can follow all the stuff I read and find about wireless security, is

May 13, 2005 10:08:51 PM

I don't think it's possible to be totally secure in anything regarding
computers. You can make it so difficult for intruders that it's not worth
their time or energy. I also use a wireless setup. I have 4 computers (3
wireless). I use WEP 128 (have to use WEP 'cause one of the computers is
WIN98), MAC address filtering and DHCP set to give no more IP addresses than
the four that have been issued.

I also use various free monitoring tools to routinely scan my network to
make sure all is well. I have ports locked down except for the ones I need
open and I have strong passwords on everything. That said, I routinely use
online banking and brokerage services without qualms. I run virus scans
weekly along with scumware scans. I have had no problems but I'm still
alert.

Good luck

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:o sqAc68VFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>> If I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router Linksys WRT54GS
>> 11g.
>>> If I hardwire my desktop and use the wireless card (linksys) for my
>> laptop.
>>> then I use my desktop(hardwired) when I log into , say, my visa credit
>> card
>>> site. Since the Desktop is hardwired to the router, does the wireless
>> aspect
>>> of security (or lack of) still enter into the picture? I am so very
>> paranoid
>>> of this wireless stuff, but I would love to sit on my porch with my
>>> laptop
>>> some days(not going to credit card sites though, that's why I purchased
>> the
>>> router and the card.
>>> I can follow all the stuff I read and find about wireless security, is

May 13, 2005 10:08:52 PM

Thanks much Fitz, I will endeavor to do the same. I have no problem being
alert, I am somewhat neurotic when it comes to safety and security, I
consider that a good thing in this day and age, sad as it is!
regards
Frank

"Fitz" <SENDNOMAIL@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> invaded/infested, and preventing your LAN computers (Wired and Wireless)
>>> from transmitting out to the Internet privileged information.
>>> All the computers (as a Network) would have basic Internet protection by
>>> using a Cable/DSL Router. In addition, each computer on your Network
>>> that
>>> has access to the Internet should have its own Internet Connection
>>> protection regardless of whether it uses Wire or Wireless.
>>> Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
>>> Assemble Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection:
>>> http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
>>> In addition you should have tools available to clean your computers if
>>> they
>>> get Infested with Internet "Junk".
>>> Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
>>> Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" -

May 14, 2005 12:04:05 AM

fitz,
Since I am unsure of which ports to block and my isp assigns my IP address,
I have , it seems, talked myself out of the wireless setup. :-( I will
probably just hold on to the router¬ebook card for another day. That's
what I get for asking so many questions.
> [...]

>>> invaded/infested, and preventing your LAN computers (Wired and Wireless)
>>> from transmitting out to the Internet privileged information.
>>> All the computers (as a Network) would have basic Internet protection by
>>> using a Cable/DSL Router. In addition, each computer on your Network
>>> that
>>> has access to the Internet should have its own Internet Connection
>>> protection regardless of whether it uses Wire or Wireless.
>>> Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
>>> Assemble Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection:
>>> http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
>>> In addition you should have tools available to clean your computers if
>>> they
>>> get Infested with Internet "Junk".
>>> Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
>>> Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" -

May 14, 2005 5:53:52 AM

If you're running a firewall, antivirus, and antispyware...you should be in
good shape (assuming you're up to date on definitions). Most routers use
NAT (Network Address Translation) to operate. That in itself is a type of
firewall and means your computer is hidden from the internet. XP comes with
a built in firewall (SP2). If you're not comfortable with XP's firewall,
there are other software firewalls available for free or little charge as
well as antivirus programs.

Typically the firewall and router by default, BLOCK the ports that you don't
need. If you run a program that requires a BLOCKED port, XP's firewall (and
most others) will alert you to the fact that a program attempted to access a
blocked port. The firewall will ask you what you want to do...e.g. continue
to block or allow (or something along those lines).

Most computers are infected by opening file attachments in email or
downloading files from questionable sources. There are other fancy ways to
get slammed but practice "safe hex" with browser settings, etc. and you
should be fine. As I said, no computer is 100% safe all the time. The
trick is to make them so difficult to hack into that it's not worth the time
to try. It's just like a lock on your house. The better the lock is,
stronger, longer bolt, reinforced frame...the harder it is to break in. Not
impossible but enough to discourage all but the most determined. Bank
vaults are difficult to break into...but not impossible.

Good luck.

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:o MeIzhBWFHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> fitz,
> Since I am unsure of which ports to block and my isp assigns my IP
> address, I have , it seems, talked myself out of the wireless setup.
> :-( I will probably just hold on to the router¬ebook card for another
> day. That's what I get for asking so many questions.
> Frank
>
> "Fitz" <SENDNOMAIL@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I don't think it's possible to be totally secure in anything regarding
>>computers. You can make it so difficult for intruders that it's not worth
>>their time or energy. I also use a wireless setup. I have 4 computers (3
>>wireless). I use WEP 128 (have to use WEP 'cause one of the computers is
>>WIN98), MAC address filtering and DHCP set to give no more IP addresses
>>than the four that have been issued.
>>
>> I also use various free monitoring tools to routinely scan my network to
>> make sure all is well. I have ports locked down except for the ones I
>> need open and I have strong passwords on everything. That said, I
>> routinely use online banking and brokerage services without qualms. I
>> run virus scans weekly along with scumware scans. I have had no problems
>> but I'm still alert.
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:o sqAc68VFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Thanks, I guess their is no Sure fire answer to: is it possible to be
>>> totally secure(secure as no home wireless network) and do online
>>> banking. I protect and monitor my computer with care and determination.
>>> I use zone alrm, NAV, spwareguard (free, fabulous program) and adware
>>> professional. I run spybot frequently. I have not had a problem at all
>>> since I started this serious approach (about 3 years) This is part of
>>> the reason I am so paranoid about wireless in my home?
>>> thanks again to all who replied, it's greatly appreciated
>>> Frank
>>>
>>> "Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message

May 14, 2005 6:28:06 AM

Hey Fitz,
I use ZoneAlarm and NAV. (for many years now. Never had a virus. I know
windows real well, wireless networks, not much it seems. I set up a small
network at work. WITH WIRES :-) Small DC with 10 workstations, W2K Server,
mixed mode. Active directory, etc. I can do the Mac filtering and change all
the generic settings in the router. I also can use wap and configue it, both
my router and notebook card support it. The encryption, 128 Bit, that seems
pretty secure? I only need the network to learn (as I am talking to you guys
on this NG) I searched for some material on what the jerks that try to steal
stuff actually do. Knowing that would make it easier to defend. Seems it
would be tough for them to log in to your network with security mentioned
above. Do they try to drop packets that send info back to them? Or steal or
intercept packets? Is that the scam? Somewhere along the line I got spooked
I guess about wireless.
Thanks for your input

> [...]
>> Frank
>>
>> "Fitz" <SENDNOMAIL@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I don't think it's possible to be totally secure in anything regarding
>>>computers. You can make it so difficult for intruders that it's not
>>>worth their time or energy. I also use a wireless setup. I have 4
>>>computers (3 wireless). I use WEP 128 (have to use WEP 'cause one of the
>>>computers is WIN98), MAC address filtering and DHCP set to give no more
>>>IP addresses than the four that have been issued.
>>>
>>> I also use various free monitoring tools to routinely scan my network to
>>> make sure all is well. I have ports locked down except for the ones I
>>> need open and I have strong passwords on everything. That said, I
>>> routinely use online banking and brokerage services without qualms. I
>>> run virus scans weekly along with scumware scans. I have had no

May 14, 2005 10:45:51 AM

ZoneAlarm is a good firewall. WPA is better encryption than WEP...if you
can, use WPA. Change the generic settings, e.g. router password, SSID etc.
While no single thing that I mentioned in previous posts will be the silver
bullet, all of them together will come close. Make passwords difficult and
every now and then, change them.

Hackers try to sniff wireless packets in order to gain enough info to crack
your encryption. This takes literally thousands of packets. The stronger
the encryption, the tougher it is. Also remember that wireless router
transmissions don't travel very far...that can be a good thing too.

> [...]
>> you should be fine. As I said, no computer is 100% safe all the time.
>> The trick is to make them so difficult to hack into that it's not worth
>> the time to try. It's just like a lock on your house. The better the
>> lock is, stronger, longer bolt, reinforced frame...the harder it is to
>> break in. Not impossible but enough to discourage all but the most
>> determined. Bank vaults are difficult to break into...but not impossible.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>

>> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:o MeIzhBWFHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> fitz,
>>> Since I am unsure of which ports to block and my isp assigns my IP
>>> address, I have , it seems, talked myself out of the wireless setup.
>>> :-( I will probably just hold on to the router¬ebook card for
>>> another day. That's what I get for asking so many questions.

May 14, 2005 3:33:46 PM

Hey Fitz,
I am going to give it a try today. I really appreciate you taking the time
like you have to help a "very paranoid" person.I truly would love to sit on
my porch with my laptop and do some work. Your advice(and Freds also at the
beginning) have convinced me that I can come pretty darn close to being as
secure as I am now(without the wireless)
Thanks again

> [...]
>>> firewall (and most others) will alert you to the fact that a program
>>> attempted to access a blocked port. The firewall will ask you what you
>>> want to do...e.g. continue to block or allow (or something along those
>>> lines).
>>>
>>> Most computers are infected by opening file attachments in email or
>>> downloading files from questionable sources. There are other fancy ways
>>> to get slammed but practice "safe hex" with browser settings, etc. and
>>> you should be fine. As I said, no computer is 100% safe all the time.
>>> The trick is to make them so difficult to hack into that it's not worth
>>> the time to try. It's just like a lock on your house. The better the
>>> lock is, stronger, longer bolt, reinforced frame...the harder it is to
>>> break in. Not impossible but enough to discourage all but the most
>>> determined. Bank vaults are difficult to break into...but not

May 14, 2005 3:35:28 PM

Sorry, I should say thanks to all who replied,
Thanks
> [...]
>>> firewall (and most others) will alert you to the fact that a program
>>> attempted to access a blocked port. The firewall will ask you what you
>>> want to do...e.g. continue to block or allow (or something along those
>>> lines).
>>>
>>> Most computers are infected by opening file attachments in email or
>>> downloading files from questionable sources. There are other fancy ways
>>> to get slammed but practice "safe hex" with browser settings, etc. and
>>> you should be fine. As I said, no computer is 100% safe all the time.
>>> The trick is to make them so difficult to hack into that it's not worth
>>> the time to try. It's just like a lock on your house. The better the
>>> lock is, stronger, longer bolt, reinforced frame...the harder it is to
>>> break in. Not impossible but enough to discourage all but the most
>>> determined. Bank vaults are difficult to break into...but not

May 14, 2005 7:44:04 PM

Good luck. If you need more help...post back. I'll be outta town for a
week (without internet access) but others in this group are more than
willing to help if you run into a snag.

!