Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Display Position Question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 8, 2005 12:04:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Hi, I am new to MAME and was hoping someone would be good enough to help me
out with a little problem.

I have built a MAME cabinet using the TV output on the video card and all
works fine and the display is good, other than, in some games (most
noticibly vertical position games) the bottom part of the display is not
visible. Are there any adjustments in MAME to fix this? Or any other
suggestions that people may have?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Jamie
June 8, 2005 12:04:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Praetorian wrote:
> Hi, I am new to MAME and was hoping someone would be good enough to help me
> out with a little problem.
>
> I have built a MAME cabinet using the TV output on the video card and all
> works fine and the display is good, other than, in some games (most
> noticibly vertical position games) the bottom part of the display is not
> visible. Are there any adjustments in MAME to fix this? Or any other
> suggestions that people may have?
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Jamie
>
>

What graphics card do you use? On my Nvidia card, the driver software
has a position/size setting.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:03:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Hi,

> Hi, I am new to MAME and was hoping someone would be good enough to help
> me
> out with a little problem.
> I have built a MAME cabinet using the TV output on the video card and all
> works fine and the display is good, other than, in some games (most
> noticibly vertical position games) the bottom part of the display is not
> visible. Are there any adjustments in MAME to fix this? Or any other
> suggestions that people may have?

Try forcing a specific resolution. If not specified, each game will *try*
to determine the best resolution. So the first game you play might look
great (because it guessed a resolution that looks good on your TV), but the
second game is cutoff (because it guessed a resolution that doesn't look
good on your TV).

The solution is to specify an exact resolution and force the game/MAME to
conform to it using hardware stretch.

If your MAME.INI try setting:

resolution 640x480x16
or
resolution 800x600x16
or
resolution 1024x800x16

See which one looks the best and leave it there!

Good Luck,

SA Dev
Related resources
June 9, 2005 1:29:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

The video card that I use is an ATO Radeon X300SE PCI-e card, this has
position/size settings too but it doesn't move it enough, and then it isn't
right for the other games. Does anyone else use a TV in a MAME cabinet?

MCR <markcoleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:xjnpe.4240$K5.431@newsfe4-win.ntli.net...
> Praetorian wrote:
> > Hi, I am new to MAME and was hoping someone would be good enough to help
me
> > out with a little problem.
> >
> > I have built a MAME cabinet using the TV output on the video card and
all
> > works fine and the display is good, other than, in some games (most
> > noticibly vertical position games) the bottom part of the display is not
> > visible. Are there any adjustments in MAME to fix this? Or any other
> > suggestions that people may have?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
> >
> > Jamie
> >
> >
>
> What graphics card do you use? On my Nvidia card, the driver software
> has a position/size setting.
>
June 10, 2005 1:26:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

Thanks to everyone for their replies, following your advice I have now got
the picture in the right place (more or less for all the games I play). I
now only have two more problems!

The first one is, the sound I am getting often gets static through it, or
something that doesn't sound right. Is there a way to get the sound perfect?
(sound settings, certain type of sound card etc).

The other problem is that I have been trying to get the chd file for Hyper
Athlete (hyperath.chd) for a while now and while plenty of sites have the
torrent file, when I try to download it, it gets to 49.8% and gets stuck
there! Does anyone have it? Could they e-mail it to me? Or suggest another
way to get it?

Thanks for any further help that anyone gives.

SA Development <nospam38925@forme.com> wrote in message
news:1MednWzNxfFj0zrfRVn-tQ@valortelecom.com...
> Hi,
>
> > Hi, I am new to MAME and was hoping someone would be good enough to help
> > me
> > out with a little problem.
> > I have built a MAME cabinet using the TV output on the video card and
all
> > works fine and the display is good, other than, in some games (most
> > noticibly vertical position games) the bottom part of the display is not
> > visible. Are there any adjustments in MAME to fix this? Or any other
> > suggestions that people may have?
>
> Try forcing a specific resolution. If not specified, each game will *try*
> to determine the best resolution. So the first game you play might look
> great (because it guessed a resolution that looks good on your TV), but
the
> second game is cutoff (because it guessed a resolution that doesn't look
> good on your TV).
>
> The solution is to specify an exact resolution and force the game/MAME to
> conform to it using hardware stretch.
>
> If your MAME.INI try setting:
>
> resolution 640x480x16
> or
> resolution 800x600x16
> or
> resolution 1024x800x16
>
> See which one looks the best and leave it there!
>
> Good Luck,
>
> SA Dev
>
>
!