PII 450 MHz with AL440LX? (Underclock to 66 MHz FSB possib..

I've gotten hold of a PII 450 MHz and I am wondering if I dare plug it
in my AL440LX motherboard (currently running with a PII 233 MHz). I
understand that the AL440LX only works with a 66 MHz FSB, while the
PII 450 MHz is intended to work with 100 MHz. The question is though,
will it work with 66 MHz FSB anyway? (And in that case, it will
underclock to (450/100)*66~=300 MHz, right?) Is such a setup possible,
or should I forget about it? Will I break something if I try? I'm
especially concerned about the core voltage. (I have not worked with
over-/underclocking before, so all this is new to me.)

-- Johan Winge

Johan Winge wrote:
> I've gotten hold of a PII 450 MHz and I am wondering if I dare plug it
> in my AL440LX motherboard (currently running with a PII 233 MHz). I
> understand that the AL440LX only works with a 66 MHz FSB, while the
> PII 450 MHz is intended to work with 100 MHz. The question is though,
> will it work with 66 MHz FSB anyway? (And in that case, it will
> underclock to (450/100)*66~=300 MHz, right?) Is such a setup possible,
> or should I forget about it? Will I break something if I try? I'm
> especially concerned about the core voltage. (I have not worked with
> over-/underclocking before, so all this is new to me.)
>
> -- Johan Winge

The AL440LX should be able to provide the 2 volt Vcore of the P-II 450.

But you could probably set the P-II 233 multiplier to 4.5 and get the 300
that way.

You can apparently use softFSB to get up to an 80MHz FSB on the thing (over
72 might give you hard drive problems).

http://home.earthlink.net/~billselk/al440lx/overclocking.html

Seems it will also work with PPGA celerons, which means you could use a
slotket and get one up to 533 MHz. The few quickies I read suggest there's
a problem with the coppermines even when using a powerleap with it's own
Vcore regulator so 533 (NOT the 'A' version) looks like the top end.

http://www.sysopt.com/userreviews/mboards/reviewhtml/Intel_Atlanta_AL440LX.html

David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10imcsqgni7cg32@corp.supernews.com>...
> Johan Winge wrote:
> > I've gotten hold of a PII 450 MHz and I am wondering if I dare plug it
> > in my AL440LX motherboard (currently running with a PII 233 MHz). I
> > understand that the AL440LX only works with a 66 MHz FSB, while the
> > PII 450 MHz is intended to work with 100 MHz. The question is though,
> > will it work with 66 MHz FSB anyway? (And in that case, it will
> > underclock to (450/100)*66~=300 MHz, right?) Is such a setup possible,
> > or should I forget about it? Will I break something if I try? I'm
> > especially concerned about the core voltage. (I have not worked with
> > over-/underclocking before, so all this is new to me.)
> >

> The AL440LX should be able to provide the 2 volt Vcore of the P-II 450.

Allright. I was more thinking in the way of if it really will give it
2 volt instead of 2.8 (or whatever) like the earlier PIIs, or what if
2 volt is too much when it is underclocked like this?

> You can apparently use softFSB to get up to an 80MHz FSB on the thing (over
> 72 might give you hard drive problems).
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~billselk/al440lx/overclocking.html

Wow, well, that worked excellently. If only I had know about this
seven years ago! :)

> Seems it will also work with PPGA celerons[...]

Well, I have gotten the PII 450 for free already, otherwise it would
perhaps have been an option. (Though I don't fell spending too much on
such old a system.) Thanks anyway!

Johan Winge wrote:
> David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message news:<10imcsqgni7cg32@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>Johan Winge wrote:
>>
>>>I've gotten hold of a PII 450 MHz and I am wondering if I dare plug it
>>>in my AL440LX motherboard (currently running with a PII 233 MHz). I
>>>understand that the AL440LX only works with a 66 MHz FSB, while the
>>>PII 450 MHz is intended to work with 100 MHz. The question is though,
>>>will it work with 66 MHz FSB anyway? (And in that case, it will
>>>underclock to (450/100)*66~=300 MHz, right?) Is such a setup possible,
>>>or should I forget about it? Will I break something if I try? I'm
>>>especially concerned about the core voltage. (I have not worked with
>>>over-/underclocking before, so all this is new to me.)
>>>

>>The AL440LX should be able to provide the 2 volt Vcore of the P-II 450.
>

> Allright. I was more thinking in the way of if it really will give it
> 2 volt instead of 2.8 (or whatever) like the earlier PIIs,

By 'should' I meant the info I got, from forums, said it will (provide
2.0), but I didn't have specifics on whether that's BIOS rev level
specific. Always check the manufacturer's site for BIOS updates to see if
any are needed for 'new' processors.

> or what if
> 2 volt is too much when it is underclocked like this?

The correct voltage is the correct voltage whether it's 'underclocked' or
not. It might still work at a lower voltage when underclocked but that
isn't 'required'.

>>You can apparently use softFSB to get up to an 80MHz FSB on the thing (over
>>72 might give you hard drive problems).
>>
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~billselk/al440lx/overclocking.html
>

> Wow, well, that worked excellently. If only I had know about this
> seven years ago! :)
>

>>Seems it will also work with PPGA celerons[...]
>

> Well, I have gotten the PII 450 for free already, otherwise it would
> perhaps have been an option. (Though I don't fell spending too much on
> such old a system.) Thanks anyway!

Just to follow up: I plugged it in and it was identified as 300 MHz,
just as exspected. Works like a charm.

TRENDING THREADS