  • Hardware
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 27, 2004 9:58:38 PM

Will some kind soul please tell me where I can find an explanation (in
beginner's terms) of the characteristics of the different Athlon CPUs?
What are Thoroughbreds? Bartons? Etc.? Enquiring minds want to
know.

Thanks in advance,

pilgrim

More about : thoroughbreds bartons

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 21, 2004 9:04:03 AM

Really simply put they re generations of AMD Athlon processors, prior
to this there was the thunderbird. As the technology improved each
generation had a name. T-Bred, Barton & Thunderbird are just like
for example:
Windows 95, Windows98 and Windows XP. Different versions....

They all fit the same sockets so the only difference there is the
capability of the motherboard, putting a 400Mhz FSP Barton CPU on a
motherboard for designed for a 133 FSB Thunderbird would not be good
as the barton Chip would run very slow compared with its rated
performance.

I hope this was somewhat helpful

P :wink:
!