XP or XP-M?

Hi guys,

Having sent my XP3200 back for a refund (it was a reworked, rebadged XP2500
and subsequently was quietly cooking itself at 1.85v!) I find myself again
on the lookout for a new cpu. Someone mentioned instead of getting an
XP3200, getting an XP-M cpu because they overclocking very easily and at a
low voltage.
Can anyone verify this? After my heat issues with the iffy XP2500 I had,
I'm a little wary that I might get yet another cpu that I won't be able to
properly control the Vcore on.

All opinions greatly appreciated!

"Vormulac" <tristanluscombe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> Having sent my XP3200 back for a refund (it was a reworked, rebadged
> XP2500
> and subsequently was quietly cooking itself at 1.85v!) I find myself again
> on the lookout for a new cpu. Someone mentioned instead of getting an
> XP3200, getting an XP-M cpu because they overclocking very easily and at a
> low voltage.
> Can anyone verify this? After my heat issues with the iffy XP2500 I had,
> I'm a little wary that I might get yet another cpu that I won't be able to
> properly control the Vcore on.
>
> All opinions greatly appreciated!

An XP-M (2400, 2500,or 2600) is the way to go if you want to overclock, the
main reason being that the mobiles have unlocked multipliers.
They also operate at lower voltage (1.45V vs 1.65V for the desktop) but you
will most likely have to increase this to around 1.65V to get to XP3200+
speed (unless you get a very good CPU)
--
*****Replace 'NOSPAM' with 'btinternet' in the reply address*****>

It sounds like this may well be the thing to do given the difference in
price between the XP-Ms and the XP chips.

Do you know off-hand if there is any advantage to be had with the 2600 over
the 2500? They are all Barton cores with 400FSB aren't they?

Thanks for youy help! :)

> It sounds like this may well be the thing to do given the difference in
> price between the XP-Ms and the XP chips.
>
> Do you know off-hand if there is any advantage to be had with the 2600
> over
> the 2500? They are all Barton cores with 400FSB aren't they?
>
> Thanks for youy help! :)

Rumour has it that the 2600+ are a bit more consistent when it comes to
getting a high overclock.

hank

"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> "Vormulac" <tristanluscombe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It sounds like this may well be the thing to do given the difference in
>> price between the XP-Ms and the XP chips.
>>
>> Do you know off-hand if there is any advantage to be had with the 2600
>> over
>> the 2500? They are all Barton cores with 400FSB aren't they?
>>
>> Thanks for youy help! :)
>
> Rumour has it that the 2600+ are a bit more consistent when it comes to
> getting a high overclock.

They are all Barton cores that will DO 400FSB. I haven't heard of one that
hasn't yet. My XP-M 2600+ will run rock solid at 200x13.5, 225x12 and
various other combinations for a max of about 2.7 gig all with 1.75 vcore.
Anything much higher than 2.7 it starts to get flaky and will not pass Prime
95. It does this on water but am sure it doesn't need it with a low vcore
like that.

Hank

My Mobile 2500 is now on 2.5ghz :) 200fsb 12.5 X 200 :eek:

Fine for me, just a stop gap till the dual core 64bit cpus come out,
then ill get a dual cpu board slap in 2 cpus and have 4 cpus :)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:57:17 GMT, "Hank" <Hank@youbetya.com> wrote:

>"BigBadger" <big_badger@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> "Vormulac" <tristanluscombe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> It sounds like this may well be the thing to do given the difference in
>>> price between the XP-Ms and the XP chips.
>>>
>>> Do you know off-hand if there is any advantage to be had with the 2600
>>> over
>>> the 2500? They are all Barton cores with 400FSB aren't they?
>>>
>>> Thanks for youy help! :)
>>
>> Rumour has it that the 2600+ are a bit more consistent when it comes to
>> getting a high overclock.
>>

>They are all Barton cores that will DO 400FSB. I haven't heard of one that
>hasn't yet. My XP-M 2600+ will run rock solid at 200x13.5, 225x12 and
>various other combinations for a max of about 2.7 gig all with 1.75 vcore.
>Anything much higher than 2.7 it starts to get flaky and will not pass Prime
>95. It does this on water but am sure it doesn't need it with a low vcore
>like that.
>
>Hank

HELLO NURSE.