Will PC4200 memory (ie 533MHz) can replace PC3200 (400MHz)..

Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

Hi

I use a ECS Motherboard model L4VXA2 that supports 533MHz

I currently use a PC3200, ie 400MHz bus memory.

If I put a PC4200, will it work - I understand that PC4200 is a DDR2
technology.

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about will pc4200 memory 533mhz replace pc3200 400mhz
  1. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    "@ earthlinkSPAM.net" <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote in message
    news:e9oYc.1833$8d1.33@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > Hi
    >
    > I use a ECS Motherboard model L4VXA2 that supports 533MHz
    >
    > I currently use a PC3200, ie 400MHz bus memory.
    >
    > If I put a PC4200, will it work - I understand that PC4200 is a DDR2
    > technology.

    No, it's not... DDR2 is DDR2 technology.

    My P4C800E works fine with PC4200 DDR 533 memory.

    Of course if you're using a CPU with 533Mhz bus speed you only need DDR 266
    memory. Even an 800 Mhz P4 CPU uses DDR400 memory at a 1:1 ratio.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi

    Thanks;

    I am running DDR 400 memory - a matched pair of 256 MB - but it has a
    total of 3 slots so there is one vacant.

    My CPU is 533 FSB - should I upgrade to PC4200 so that I get the full
    FSB of 533?

    Noozer wrote:
    > "@ earthlinkSPAM.net" <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote in message
    > news:e9oYc.1833$8d1.33@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I use a ECS Motherboard model L4VXA2 that supports 533MHz
    >>
    >>I currently use a PC3200, ie 400MHz bus memory.
    >>
    >>If I put a PC4200, will it work - I understand that PC4200 is a DDR2
    >>technology.
    >
    >
    > No, it's not... DDR2 is DDR2 technology.
    >
    > My P4C800E works fine with PC4200 DDR 533 memory.
    >
    > Of course if you're using a CPU with 533Mhz bus speed you only need DDR 266
    > memory. Even an 800 Mhz P4 CPU uses DDR400 memory at a 1:1 ratio.
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:21:26 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Thanks;
    >
    >I am running DDR 400 memory - a matched pair of 256 MB - but it has a
    >total of 3 slots so there is one vacant.
    >
    >My CPU is 533 FSB - should I upgrade to PC4200 so that I get the full
    >FSB of 533?
    >

    P4 with 533 "FSB" is a quad-pumped (4X) 133MHz clock rate FSB.
    DDR for 133MHz is (2X) 133, (X8) = ~2100... PC2100 memory is all
    you need, certainly NOT PC4200.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2 memory
    slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching (configuration).

    I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.

    Pls clarify me?

    kony wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:21:26 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    > <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Thanks;
    >>
    >>I am running DDR 400 memory - a matched pair of 256 MB - but it has a
    >>total of 3 slots so there is one vacant.
    >>
    >>My CPU is 533 FSB - should I upgrade to PC4200 so that I get the full
    >>FSB of 533?
    >>
    >
    >
    > P4 with 533 "FSB" is a quad-pumped (4X) 133MHz clock rate FSB.
    > DDR for 133MHz is (2X) 133, (X8) = ~2100... PC2100 memory is all
    > you need, certainly NOT PC4200.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:55:46 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:

    >Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2 memory
    >slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching (configuration).
    >
    >I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.
    >
    >Pls clarify me?

    It's not an argument unless you have some reason to disagree?

    It does not change based on 2 or 4 slots or any other (anything).
  6. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    DDR2 RAM uses different memory sockets than SSR.


    "@ earthlinkSPAM.net" <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote in message
    news:e9oYc.1833$8d1.33@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > Hi
    >
    > I use a ECS Motherboard model L4VXA2 that supports 533MHz
    >
    > I currently use a PC3200, ie 400MHz bus memory.
    >
    > If I put a PC4200, will it work - I understand that PC4200 is a DDR2
    > technology.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
  7. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi

    When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100 - I am
    using a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.

    It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.

    So its using it as 512MB memory of 400 FSB - therefore the BIOS shows as
    100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.

    So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory is
    DDR adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133 (instead
    of 100).

    Is this correct?

    kony wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:55:46 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    > <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2 memory
    >>slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching (configuration).
    >>
    >>I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.
    >>
    >>Pls clarify me?
    >
    >
    > It's not an argument unless you have some reason to disagree?
    >
    > It does not change based on 2 or 4 slots or any other (anything).
  8. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    @ wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100

    Then your processor is a 100Mhz clock/400 Mhz Data rate P4.

    > - I am
    > using a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.
    >
    > It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.
    >
    > So its using it as 512MB memory

    Yes

    > of 400 FSB

    No. The memory is DDR, which means it's data rate is twice the clock
    frequency. Your clock is 100 MHz so the DDR is running a 200 MHz data rate.

    However, your PC3200 is rated for a 200 MHz clock (3200/16) for a DDR rate
    of 400 (3200/8) so it's being run at half it's capability.

    There's no reason to buy even faster RAM to run at even less than half it's
    capability.

    > - therefore the BIOS shows as
    > 100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.

    > So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory is
    > DDR adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133 (instead
    > of 100).
    >
    > Is this correct?

    No

    >
    > kony wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:55:46 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    >> <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2
    >>> memory slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching
    >>> (configuration).
    >>>
    >>> I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.
    >>>
    >>> Pls clarify me?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> It's not an argument unless you have some reason to disagree?
    >>
    >> It does not change based on 2 or 4 slots or any other (anything).
    >
    >
  9. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    "@ earthlinkSPAM.net" <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote in message
    news:GtQYc.3197$w%6.1253@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > Hi
    >
    > When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100 - I am using
    > a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.
    >
    > It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.
    >
    > So its using it as 512MB memory of 400 FSB - therefore the BIOS shows as
    > 100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.
    >
    > So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory is DDR
    > adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133 (instead of
    > 100).
    >
    > Is this correct?
    >

    I have some magic beans if you would like to buy them!

    Seriously though you clearly have no understanding on this subject what so
    ever. PC3200 is the fastest DDR RAM your Mobo is spec'd to use, anything
    faster would be a great waste of money as you wouldn't see any benefit from
    it. That is unless you happen to have the Mobo that is coloured purple and
    happens to be the L4VXA2 V1.0C, this supports PC2700 Max so in that case the
    PC3200 would already be faster than required.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:27:02 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100 - I am
    >using a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.
    >
    >It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.
    >
    >So its using it as 512MB memory of 400 FSB - therefore the BIOS shows as
    > 100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.
    >
    >So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory is
    >DDR adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133 (instead
    >of 100).
    >
    >Is this correct?
    >

    No, either your CPU is underclocked to be running at 100MHz FSB,
    or you don't have a 533 FSB P4. Recheck the specs on your CPU
    and determine it's current operational frequency.

    Either way, it matters not as it relates to the memory, because
    your memory only needs to support the speed the motherboard sets,
    it doesn't run at IT'S rated speed. Memory bus is only DDR (2X)
    while FSB is quad-pumped (4X). In other words, memory bus is
    half of FSB speed in Data Rate terminology. Some boards support
    +33 mode, and given the market it might be cost effective (allow
    upgrading CPU and motherboard in future without buying memory
    again) to buy PC3200, but there is no need to do so to support
    your current hardware.

    Again, you need nothing more than PC2100 memory.
  11. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi David,

    Thanks;

    So if I use PC2700 (instead), would it show the current FSB clock to be
    something higher than 100MHz, say 133 or 166 MHz.

    You did make sense and at present with PC3200, it shows
    current FSB clock = 100 MHz
    DRAM = 200 MHz in the BIAS!

    Pls see one question below:

    David Maynard wrote:
    > @ wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100
    >
    >
    > Then your processor is a 100Mhz clock/400 Mhz Data rate P4.
    >
    >> - I am using a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.
    >>
    >> It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.
    >>
    >> So its using it as 512MB memory
    >
    >
    > Yes
    >
    >> of 400 FSB
    >
    >
    > No. The memory is DDR, which means it's data rate is twice the clock
    some people say that P4's has a factor of 4 - so should it be 400 MHz
    data rate?
    > frequency. Your clock is 100 MHz so the DDR is running a 200 MHz data rate.

    Thanks
    >
    > However, your PC3200 is rated for a 200 MHz clock (3200/16) for a DDR
    > rate of 400 (3200/8) so it's being run at half it's capability.
    >
    > There's no reason to buy even faster RAM to run at even less than half
    > it's capability.
    >
    >> - therefore the BIOS shows as 100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.
    >
    >
    >> So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory is
    >> DDR adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133
    >> (instead of 100).
    >>
    >> Is this correct?
    >
    >
    > No
    >
    >>
    >> kony wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:55:46 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    >>> <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2
    >>>> memory slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching
    >>>> (configuration).
    >>>>
    >>>> I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.
    >>>>
    >>>> Pls clarify me?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> It's not an argument unless you have some reason to disagree?
    >>>
    >>> It does not change based on 2 or 4 slots or any other (anything).
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >
  12. Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    @ wrote:

    >
    > Hi David,
    >
    > Thanks;
    >
    > So if I use PC2700 (instead), would it show the current FSB clock to be
    > something higher than 100MHz, say 133 or 166 MHz.

    No, the FSB is set by the processor.

    Not to mention, why in the world would you expect slower memory to run faster?

    >
    > You did make sense and at present with PC3200, it shows
    > current FSB clock = 100 MHz
    > DRAM = 200 MHz in the BIAS!
    >
    > Pls see one question below:
    >
    > David Maynard wrote:
    >
    >> @ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> When I look in the Bias, it shows that the current FSB as 100
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Then your processor is a 100Mhz clock/400 Mhz Data rate P4.
    >>
    >>> - I am using a pair of matching memory of 400MHz, each 256MB.
    >>>
    >>> It also shows 512 MB as the memory size.
    >>>
    >>> So its using it as 512MB memory
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Yes
    >>
    >>> of 400 FSB
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> No. The memory is DDR, which means it's data rate is twice the clock
    >
    > some people say that P4's has a factor of 4 - so should it be 400 MHz
    > data rate?


    The P4 quad pumps the data bus, which is 4x, but that has nothing to do
    with the memory, which is DDR and 2x.


    >
    >> frequency. Your clock is 100 MHz so the DDR is running a 200 MHz data
    >> rate.
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    >>
    >> However, your PC3200 is rated for a 200 MHz clock (3200/16) for a DDR
    >> rate of 400 (3200/8) so it's being run at half it's capability.
    >>
    >> There's no reason to buy even faster RAM to run at even less than half
    >> it's capability.
    >>
    >>> - therefore the BIOS shows as 100 since somehow P4's has a factor of 4.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> So I feel that I can go to PC4400 (or PC4200 - as long as the meory
    >>> is DDR adn NOT DDR2) and therefore my bias would shoe 533/4 = 133
    >>> (instead of 100).
    >>>
    >>> Is this correct?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> No
    >>
    >>>
    >>> kony wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:55:46 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    >>>> <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2
    >>>>> memory slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching
    >>>>> (configuration).
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Pls clarify me?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> It's not an argument unless you have some reason to disagree?
    >>>>
    >>>> It does not change based on 2 or 4 slots or any other (anything).
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >
  13. Quote:
    Archived from groups: comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Is your argument strictly true if there are only multiples of 2 memory
    slots - ie either 2 or 4 slots for memory that are matching (configuration).

    I have 3 slots on the motherboard for memory.

    Pls clarify me?

    kony wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:21:26 GMT, "@ earthlinkSPAM.net"
    > <""acac49SPAM \"@ earthlinkSPAM.net"> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Thanks;
    >>
    >>I am running DDR 400 memory - a matched pair of 256 MB - but it has a
    >>total of 3 slots so there is one vacant.
    >>
    >>My CPU is 533 FSB - should I upgrade to PC4200 so that I get the full
    >>FSB of 533?
    >>
    >
    >
    > P4 with 533 "FSB" is a quad-pumped (4X) 133MHz clock rate FSB.
    > DDR for 133MHz is (2X) 133, (X8) = ~2100... PC2100 memory is all
    > you need, certainly NOT PC4200.



    hi i have l4vxa2 m/b and i have 1 Gb 333 , 256 mb 333 and 128 mb 333 memory on the 3 slots totalling 1.4 Gb ram on my system. i believe the rule is all memory must be of same speed irregardless of capacity or whether they are of diff manufacturer; mine is a mix of branded and generic ones. heat is also a factor, i run my case without covers open so to speak so maximum air circulation is achieved. careful with liquids though hehehe.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hardware Internet Explorer Memory Overclocking