since downloading the official SP2

I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my
system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then I
get access to my system back.
I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if
something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph which
shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.
can anyone help.

Robin
6 answers Last reply
More about since downloading official

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:50:43 GMT, "robin.gordon1"
    <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
    >it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my

    You just downloaded the version which is for SP1 already installed.
    The complete SP2 version is about 256MB

    >system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then I
    >get access to my system back.

    Try disabling the firewall to see if it is a firewall setting.

    >I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
    >diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if

    If Drwatson is running then you have other problems, possibly a worm
    or trojan. Go to www.trend.com and select free online housecall,
    under free tools to do an online scan.

    >something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph which
    >shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.

    Go to processes and see which one is the culprit. Do a google search
    on the process name. If it is svchost then it is a worm which is
    using your computer to wreak havoc on some web site.

    >can anyone help.
    >
    >Robin

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:50:43 GMT, "robin.gordon1"
    <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
    >it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my
    >system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then I
    >get access to my system back.
    >I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
    >diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if
    >something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph which
    >shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.
    >can anyone help.

    >Robin

    U~ runnin Zone Alarm, or any AntiVirus in general, or Norton/Symanrec
    in the particular ?

    And Yes, the size is wrong.

    BoroLad
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I don't know if this will help but its worth a shot, can you kill the
    dr watson process and then delete it? or uninstall it in any way?
    maybe there is an uninstaller in the program folder? Other then that,
    when I installed SP2 I had one serious problem with dr watson, I
    rebooted and haven't had the issue since so I don't know what to say.
    I'm running a Prescott P4 3.0 with an I865PE chipset so we're quite
    different in core processing.

    ==============
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Norton Internet Security 2004 is running away in the background to try and
    avoid getting caught with a virus or Trojan and once a week I run adaware 6
    to keep track of any spyware that's attached itself to my system files.

    Robin
    <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:50:43 GMT, "robin.gordon1"
    > <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
    >>it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my
    >>system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then
    >>get access to my system back.
    >>I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
    >>diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if
    >>something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph
    >>which
    >>shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.
    >>can anyone help.
    >
    >>Robin
    >
    > U~ runnin Zone Alarm, or any AntiVirus in general, or Norton/Symanrec
    > in the particular ?
    >
    > And Yes, the size is wrong.
    >
    > BoroLad
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    robin.gordon1 wrote:

    > Norton Internet Security 2004 is running away in the background to try and
    > avoid getting caught with a virus or Trojan and once a week I run adaware 6
    > to keep track of any spyware that's attached itself to my system files.
    >
    > Robin
    > <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:50:43 GMT, "robin.gordon1"
    >><robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
    >>>it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my
    >>>system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then
    >>>get access to my system back.
    >>>I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
    >>>diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if
    >>>something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph
    >>>which
    >>>shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.
    >>>can anyone help.
    >>
    >>>Robin
    >>
    >>U~ runnin Zone Alarm, or any AntiVirus in general, or Norton/Symanrec
    >>in the particular ?
    >>
    >>And Yes, the size is wrong.
    >>
    >>BoroLad

    Still, ADAware 6, Spybot Search and Destroy and Spy Guard are better.
    Have found many things with them, Norton INS didn't. Also had a lot of
    problems with Norton INS on a few clients computers. I wouldn't
    recommend it to anyone (esp on a LAN with router), NAV is fine however...

    Minotaur
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    I'm assuming this is on XP, if you can kill the process then kill and
    rename the drwatson.exe executable. this works on other versions of
    windows. I know several people who are having major problems with
    SP2. I think this is just another one to the long list of bugs in
    it.

    If DrWatson is visible as a "Service" in the admin tools then change
    the execution option to manual start or deaktivate it.
    I don't have Xp myself so this is just from my experiences on NT &
    2000. drwatson should not actually be running from startup only when
    an application gstumbles upon a major problem, usually code.
    generally as we all know DrWatson is totally useless so get rid of it
    by deactivation or renaming.

    Good luck

Overclocking Windows Update