since downloading the official SP2

I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my
system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then I
get access to my system back.
I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if
something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph which
shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.
can anyone help.

Robin

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:50:43 GMT, "robin.gordon1"
<robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
>it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my

You just downloaded the version which is for SP1 already installed.
The complete SP2 version is about 256MB

>system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then I
>get access to my system back.

Try disabling the firewall to see if it is a firewall setting.

>I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
>diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if

If Drwatson is running then you have other problems, possibly a worm
or trojan. Go to www.trend.com and select free online housecall,
under free tools to do an online scan.

>something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph which
>shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.

Go to processes and see which one is the culprit. Do a google search
on the process name. If it is svchost then it is a worm which is
using your computer to wreak havoc on some web site.

>can anyone help.
>
>Robin

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:50:43 GMT, "robin.gordon1"
<robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
>it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my
>system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then I
>get access to my system back.
>I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
>diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if
>something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph which
>shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.
>can anyone help.

>Robin

U~ runnin Zone Alarm, or any AntiVirus in general, or Norton/Symanrec
in the particular ?

And Yes, the size is wrong.

BoroLad

tool

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004

I don't know if this will help but its worth a shot, can you kill the
dr watson process and then delete it? or uninstall it in any way?
maybe there is an uninstaller in the program folder? Other then that,
when I installed SP2 I had one serious problem with dr watson, I
rebooted and haven't had the issue since so I don't know what to say.
I'm running a Prescott P4 3.0 with an I865PE chipset so we're quite
different in core processing.

==============

Norton Internet Security 2004 is running away in the background to try and
avoid getting caught with a virus or Trojan and once a week I run adaware 6
to keep track of any spyware that's attached itself to my system files.

Robin
<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:50:43 GMT, "robin.gordon1"
> <robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
>>it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my
>>system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then
>>get access to my system back.
>>I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
>>diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if
>>something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph
>>which
>>shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.
>>can anyone help.
>
>>Robin
>
> U~ runnin Zone Alarm, or any AntiVirus in general, or Norton/Symanrec
> in the particular ?
>
> And Yes, the size is wrong.
>
> BoroLad

minotaur

robin.gordon1 wrote:

> Norton Internet Security 2004 is running away in the background to try and
> avoid getting caught with a virus or Trojan and once a week I run adaware 6
> to keep track of any spyware that's attached itself to my system files.
>
> Robin
> <borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:50:43 GMT, "robin.gordon1"
>><robin.gordon1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I had windows update tell me that SP2 was now available so I downloaded.
>>>it's now 90MB rather than 226 MB beta. but now I have a problem with my
>>>system locking up every so often and it seems if I disable DRwatson32 then
>>>get access to my system back.
>>>I tried msconfig but cant find any reference to drwatson (I know its a
>>>diagnostic background program) to disable it. the system locks up as if
>>>something is hogging the processor and ctrl, alt + del produce a graph
>>>which
>>>shows the CPU (XP3200+) under 100% load.
>>>can anyone help.
>>
>>>Robin
>>
>>U~ runnin Zone Alarm, or any AntiVirus in general, or Norton/Symanrec
>>in the particular ?
>>
>>And Yes, the size is wrong.
>>
>>BoroLad

Still, ADAware 6, Spybot Search and Destroy and Spy Guard are better.
Have found many things with them, Norton INS didn't. Also had a lot of
problems with Norton INS on a few clients computers. I wouldn't
recommend it to anyone (esp on a LAN with router), NAV is fine however...

Minotaur

I'm assuming this is on XP, if you can kill the process then kill and
rename the drwatson.exe executable. this works on other versions of
windows. I know several people who are having major problems with
SP2. I think this is just another one to the long list of bugs in
it.

If DrWatson is visible as a "Service" in the admin tools then change
the execution option to manual start or deaktivate it.
I don't have Xp myself so this is just from my experiences on NT &
2000. drwatson should not actually be running from startup only when
an application gstumbles upon a major problem, usually code.
generally as we all know DrWatson is totally useless so get rid of it
by deactivation or renaming.

Good luck