My overclocking specs - newbie - comments/suggestions?

amy

Hi, I'm a newbie to overclocking so any suggestions or comments on
these specs would be much appreciated, thanks.

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton)
Thermaltake Volcano 12
256MB Nanya PC2700 DDR-RAM
Abit NF7-S v2.0
80GB Maxtor ATA133 7200rpm HDD
Thermaltake Smart II case fan
Codegen 450W PSU
Antec 1000AMG PlusView case

Ok, here's the overclocked specs (as shown by cpuz):

Core speed: 2153MHz
Multiplier: x12.5
FSB: 172.3MHz
Bus speed: 344.5MHz

Memory timings
---------------------

Frequency: 172.3MHz
FSB:DRAM 1:1
CAS# latency: 3.0
RAS# to CAS# delay: 4
RAS# precharge: 4
Tras: 8

The system is running stable and the CPU temp sits at 42C when idle (I
can cool it to 32C if I crank the fan up to 5818rpm but it's too
noisey). I have had the CPU running fine at 2.2GHz but I have to turn
the fan and it gets annoying. I have played with the memory timings as
yet so any suggestions for better performance would be great. I am
looking into upgrading to dual channel 512MB PC3200 soon though.

Ed

On 4 Sep 2004 06:37:15 -0700, amy_williams17@yahoo.com (Amy) wrote:

>Hi, I'm a newbie to overclocking so any suggestions or comments on
>these specs would be much appreciated, thanks.
>
>AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton)
>Thermaltake Volcano 12
>256MB Nanya PC2700 DDR-RAM
>Abit NF7-S v2.0
>80GB Maxtor ATA133 7200rpm HDD
>Thermaltake Smart II case fan
>Codegen 450W PSU
>Antec 1000AMG PlusView case
>
>Ok, here's the overclocked specs (as shown by cpuz):
>
>Core speed: 2153MHz
>Multiplier: x12.5
>FSB: 172.3MHz
>Bus speed: 344.5MHz
>
>Memory timings
>---------------------
>
>Frequency: 172.3MHz
>FSB:DRAM 1:1
>CAS# latency: 3.0
>RAS# to CAS# delay: 4
>RAS# precharge: 4
>Tras: 8
>
>The system is running stable and the CPU temp sits at 42C when idle (I
>can cool it to 32C if I crank the fan up to 5818rpm but it's too
>noisey). I have had the CPU running fine at 2.2GHz but I have to turn
>the fan and it gets annoying. I have played with the memory timings as
>yet so any suggestions for better performance would be great. I am
>looking into upgrading to dual channel 512MB PC3200 soon though.

The max die temp spec is 85C for the desktop XPs, as long as the CPU die
temp is under 70C I wouldn't even worry about those temps.

Ed
--
Barton 2800 @ 2333 MHz