Dual Layer Burners

Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions
24 answers Last reply
More about dual layer burners

    Sony
    "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    > Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:28:29 +1000, "Coxie"
    <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote:

    >Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

    Only one real choice - NEC3500 and 'Herries Firmware'
    BoroLad
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Coxie wrote:
    > Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

    Pioneer 108 OEM.
    It may be a while before DL media is readily available at a decent price.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    NEC3500
    "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    > Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > Sony
    > "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

    Also have a look at Pioneer and NEC (had no problems with my single layer
    NEC 1300A)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    In article <n6loj052h1scdd4nbq4kuf0ej1u62nb55t@4ax.com>,
    borolad@myowseintheboro.org says...
    > On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:28:29 +1000, "Coxie"
    > <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote:
    >
    > >Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions
    >
    > Only one real choice - NEC3500 and 'Herries Firmware'
    > BoroLad

    Yup, NEC is the way to go.

    http://club.cdfreaks.com

    Check it out.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Definitely go with Lite-on. great dual layer burner at a cheap price. nec is
    junky in my experience and sony is same quality at a higher price
    "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    > Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    In article <0Q4%c.112885$4h7.17385486@twister.nyc.rr.com>, rabramson1
    @si.rr.com says...
    > Definitely go with Lite-on. great dual layer burner at a cheap price. nec is
    > junky in my experience and sony is same quality at a higher price
    > "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    > > Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

    NEC has the best writing quality of any burner out there right now.
    LiteOn is a joke.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Yes we do. LiteOn and Sony, look slightly different but the same drive, and
    have been for quite a while.
    "Venom" <Viper@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?

    But of course. I've been buying nothing but Sony CD drives for years,
    because they've always been 100% reliable - not a single failure. Well, not
    until they started selling Liteon drives with the Sony label on them. Once
    that happened, I've started seeing failures from them (even relatively new
    drives), while I still haven't seen a failure in any of the older drives.

    steve
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
    > > You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back
    ?

    > But of course. I've been buying nothing but Sony CD drives for years,
    > because they've always been 100% reliable - not a single failure. Well,
    not
    > until they started selling Liteon drives with the Sony label on them.
    Once
    > that happened, I've started seeing failures from them (even relatively new
    > drives), while I still haven't seen a failure in any of the older drives.
    >
    > steve

    At the risk of needing flame proof gear, I agree 100% with Steve.
    I have a Sony CD burner in each of my computers for yonks and have never had
    an ounce of drama with any of them.
    I decided to install a Sony DVD burner and in nearly a year of service have
    never had problems there either.
    I only use Nero, (now 6 ultra)and Elby Clone CD and DVD2. There is nothing I
    can`t burn.
    Last week I installed the new Sony dual layer burner that sure looks like a
    Liteon but as I havn`t had it for long I can`t say if it will be as trouble
    free as the other Sony burners I own. I run XP Pro with SP1 and my computers
    are pretty quick.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    dont get offended people... thats just pathetic.... its mere opinion
    "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
    > Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    You said :

    " Definitely go with Lite-on. great dual layer burner at a cheap
    price. nec is junky in my experience and sony is same quality at a
    higher price "

    Evidence has it, that clearly it is the case that you have no
    experience of the NEC3500.

    You are entitled to your own opinion . . . . but you can not have your
    own truth. You have never compared the two. Please, at least, go and
    read some reviews on the subject and get some enlightenment.

    People who jump in like this with misleading and uninformed advice
    have never backed up anything but their homework.

    BoroLad
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Venom wrote:
    > "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
    >>> You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while
    >>> back ?
    >>
    >> But of course. I've been buying nothing but Sony CD drives for
    >> years, because they've always been 100% reliable - not a single
    >> failure. Well, not until they started selling Liteon drives with
    >> the Sony label on them.
    > Once
    >> that happened, I've started seeing failures from them (even
    >> relatively new drives), while I still haven't seen a failure in any
    >> of the older drives.
    >>
    >> steve
    >>
    > At the risk of needing flame proof gear, I agree 100% with Steve.
    > I have a Sony CD burner in each of my computers for yonks and have
    > never had an ounce of drama with any of them.
    > I decided to install a Sony DVD burner and in nearly a year of
    > service have never had problems there either.
    > I only use Nero, (now 6 ultra)and Elby Clone CD and DVD2. There is
    > nothing I can`t burn.
    > Last week I installed the new Sony dual layer burner that sure looks
    > like a Liteon but as I havn`t had it for long I can`t say if it will
    > be as trouble free as the other Sony burners I own. I run XP Pro with
    > SP1 and my computers are pretty quick.

    The HP 7100 and 9x00 series were made by Sony. I owned and used several.
    AFAIK, all of them are still in functioning condition.
    I've owned a few Lite-On CD burners, all of which seemed a little loud, but
    they worked well.

    My choices for a DVD burner would be Pioneer, NEC, and Plextor.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> schreef in bericht
    > Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

    Plextor !
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:00:03 GMT, "Venom" <Viper@gmail.com> wrote:

    >You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?

    OK, I'll bite. I didn't know that. So, can you show me some
    evidence?
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:33:32 -0700, Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:00:03 GMT, "Venom" <Viper@gmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?
    >
    >OK, I'll bite. I didn't know that. So, can you show me some
    >evidence?

    Yeah, look at the current Lite-On model numbers the first S stands for
    SONY.

    Don't believe it ? Check it out ;)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:22:21 +0200, "Peter" <mpsyn@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> schreef in bericht
    >> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions
    >

    >Plextor !

    Does Plextor have a dual layer burner ?

    I looked at the reviews and bought a Pioneer 108.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:23:40 -0700, LOL wrote:

    >Yeah, look at the current Lite-On model numbers the first S stands for
    >SONY.
    >
    >Don't believe it ? Check it out ;)

    Where?
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Winey wrote:
    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:23:40 -0700, LOL wrote:
    >

    >> Yeah, look at the current Lite-On model numbers the first S stands
    >> for SONY.
    >>
    >> Don't believe it ? Check it out ;)
    >>

    > Where?

    http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_dvd%20rw.asp
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:17:22 GMT, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:

    >Winey wrote:
    >> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:23:40 -0700, LOL wrote:
    >>

    >>> Yeah, look at the current Lite-On model numbers the first S stands
    >>> for SONY.
    >>>
    >>> Don't believe it ? Check it out ;)
    >>>

    >> Where?
    >
    >http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_dvd%20rw.asp

    Which proves absolutely nothing whatever.

    I did some googling and I found that a LiteOn semiconductor company,
    based in PRC, was acquired by an investment group located in
    Pennsylvania, USA.

    Some more googling turned up several product reviews which stated that
    Sony has been OEMing Lite-on drives. Several reviews even noted that
    you can upgrade the Sony drives with Liteon firmware to get better
    performance or enable overclocking.

    So, Sony is an OEM customer of LiteOn. Just as HP is an OEM customer
    or Maxtor and/or Seagate and/or IBM and/or ...and/or Samsung.
    Probably all of them over different product lines. And there is
    probably some Quantum drives in some of HP's older systems.

    So, does this mean HP has acquired Maxtor or Seagate?
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:46:25 -0700, Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:17:22 GMT, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:
    >
    >>Winey wrote:

    >>> Where?
    >>
    >>http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_dvd%20rw.asp
    >
    >Which proves absolutely nothing whatever.

    You're not checking hard enough ;)
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    > >> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions
    > >

    > >Plextor !
    > >

    > Does Plextor have a dual layer burner ?
    >
    > I looked at the reviews and bought a Pioneer 108.

    Plextor PX-712A

Overclocking Hardware Burner