Dual Layer Burners

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2004 1:28:29 AM

Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

More about : dual layer burners

September 7, 2004 1:28:30 AM

Sony
"Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2004 1:28:30 AM

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:28:29 +1000, "Coxie"
<atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

Only one real choice - NEC3500 and 'Herries Firmware'
BoroLad
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2004 1:28:30 AM

Coxie wrote:
> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

Pioneer 108 OEM.
It may be a while before DL media is readily available at a decent price.
September 7, 2004 1:28:30 AM

NEC3500
"Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2004 1:28:31 AM

"Mark" <mschal@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Sony
> "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
>> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

Also have a look at Pioneer and NEC (had no problems with my single layer
NEC 1300A)
September 7, 2004 1:28:31 AM

In article <n6loj052h1scdd4nbq4kuf0ej1u62nb55t@4ax.com>,
borolad@myowseintheboro.org says...
> On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 21:28:29 +1000, "Coxie"
> <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote:
>
> >Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions
>
> Only one real choice - NEC3500 and 'Herries Firmware'
> BoroLad

Yup, NEC is the way to go.

http://club.cdfreaks.com

Check it out.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2004 1:41:16 AM

Definitely go with Lite-on. great dual layer burner at a cheap price. nec is
junky in my experience and sony is same quality at a higher price
"Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

September 7, 2004 3:37:43 AM

In article <0Q4%c.112885$4h7.17385486@twister.nyc.rr.com>, rabramson1
@si.rr.com says...
> Definitely go with Lite-on. great dual layer burner at a cheap price. nec is
> junky in my experience and sony is same quality at a higher price
> "Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> > Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

NEC has the best writing quality of any burner out there right now.
LiteOn is a joke.
September 7, 2004 4:00:03 AM

You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2004 4:00:04 AM

Yes we do. LiteOn and Sony, look slightly different but the same drive, and
have been for quite a while.
"Venom" <Viper@gmail.com> wrote in message

> You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2004 4:00:04 AM

> You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?

But of course. I've been buying nothing but Sony CD drives for years,
because they've always been 100% reliable - not a single failure. Well, not
until they started selling Liteon drives with the Sony label on them. Once
that happened, I've started seeing failures from them (even relatively new
drives), while I still haven't seen a failure in any of the older drives.

steve
September 7, 2004 1:41:19 PM

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
> > You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back
?

> But of course. I've been buying nothing but Sony CD drives for years,
> because they've always been 100% reliable - not a single failure. Well,
not
> until they started selling Liteon drives with the Sony label on them.
Once
> that happened, I've started seeing failures from them (even relatively new
> drives), while I still haven't seen a failure in any of the older drives.
>
> steve

At the risk of needing flame proof gear, I agree 100% with Steve.
I have a Sony CD burner in each of my computers for yonks and have never had
an ounce of drama with any of them.
I decided to install a Sony DVD burner and in nearly a year of service have
never had problems there either.
I only use Nero, (now 6 ultra)and Elby Clone CD and DVD2. There is nothing I
can`t burn.
Last week I installed the new Sony dual layer burner that sure looks like a
Liteon but as I havn`t had it for long I can`t say if it will be as trouble
free as the other Sony burners I own. I run XP Pro with SP1 and my computers
are pretty quick.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2004 6:40:09 PM

dont get offended people... thats just pathetic.... its mere opinion
"Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> wrote in message
> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2004 12:08:34 AM

You said :

" Definitely go with Lite-on. great dual layer burner at a cheap
price. nec is junky in my experience and sony is same quality at a
higher price "

Evidence has it, that clearly it is the case that you have no
experience of the NEC3500.

You are entitled to your own opinion . . . . but you can not have your
own truth. You have never compared the two. Please, at least, go and
read some reviews on the subject and get some enlightenment.

People who jump in like this with misleading and uninformed advice
have never backed up anything but their homework.

BoroLad
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2004 5:51:17 AM

Venom wrote:
> "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message
>>> You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while
>>> back ?
>>
>> But of course. I've been buying nothing but Sony CD drives for
>> years, because they've always been 100% reliable - not a single
>> failure. Well, not until they started selling Liteon drives with
>> the Sony label on them.
> Once
>> that happened, I've started seeing failures from them (even
>> relatively new drives), while I still haven't seen a failure in any
>> of the older drives.
>>
>> steve
>>
> At the risk of needing flame proof gear, I agree 100% with Steve.
> I have a Sony CD burner in each of my computers for yonks and have
> never had an ounce of drama with any of them.
> I decided to install a Sony DVD burner and in nearly a year of
> service have never had problems there either.
> I only use Nero, (now 6 ultra)and Elby Clone CD and DVD2. There is
> nothing I can`t burn.
> Last week I installed the new Sony dual layer burner that sure looks
> like a Liteon but as I havn`t had it for long I can`t say if it will
> be as trouble free as the other Sony burners I own. I run XP Pro with
> SP1 and my computers are pretty quick.

The HP 7100 and 9x00 series were made by Sony. I owned and used several.
AFAIK, all of them are still in functioning condition.
I've owned a few Lite-On CD burners, all of which seemed a little loud, but
they worked well.

My choices for a DVD burner would be Pioneer, NEC, and Plextor.
September 9, 2004 3:22:21 AM

"Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> schreef in bericht
> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions

Plextor !
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2004 4:33:32 AM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:00:03 GMT, "Venom" <Viper@gmail.com> wrote:

>You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?

OK, I'll bite. I didn't know that. So, can you show me some
evidence?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2004 5:23:40 AM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:33:32 -0700, Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 00:00:03 GMT, "Venom" <Viper@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>You blokes obviously don`t know that Sony bought out Liteon a while back ?
>
>OK, I'll bite. I didn't know that. So, can you show me some
>evidence?

Yeah, look at the current Lite-On model numbers the first S stands for
SONY.

Don't believe it ? Check it out ;)
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 9, 2004 5:25:38 AM

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:22:21 +0200, "Peter" <mpsyn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Coxie" <atomic-sparks@netspace.net.au> schreef in bericht
>> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions
>

>Plextor !

Does Plextor have a dual layer burner ?

I looked at the reviews and bought a Pioneer 108.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2004 4:14:44 AM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:23:40 -0700, LOL wrote:

>Yeah, look at the current Lite-On model numbers the first S stands for
>SONY.
>
>Don't believe it ? Check it out ;)

Where?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 10, 2004 3:17:22 PM

Winey wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:23:40 -0700, LOL wrote:
>

>> Yeah, look at the current Lite-On model numbers the first S stands
>> for SONY.
>>
>> Don't believe it ? Check it out ;)
>>

> Where?

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_dvd%20r...
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
September 11, 2004 2:46:25 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:17:22 GMT, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:

>Winey wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 01:23:40 -0700, LOL wrote:
>>

>>> Yeah, look at the current Lite-On model numbers the first S stands
>>> for SONY.
>>>
>>> Don't believe it ? Check it out ;)
>>>

>> Where?
>
>http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_dvd%20r...

Which proves absolutely nothing whatever.

I did some googling and I found that a LiteOn semiconductor company,
based in PRC, was acquired by an investment group located in
Pennsylvania, USA.

Some more googling turned up several product reviews which stated that
Sony has been OEMing Lite-on drives. Several reviews even noted that
you can upgrade the Sony drives with Liteon firmware to get better
performance or enable overclocking.

So, Sony is an OEM customer of LiteOn. Just as HP is an OEM customer
or Maxtor and/or Seagate and/or IBM and/or ...and/or Samsung.
Probably all of them over different product lines. And there is
probably some Quantum drives in some of HP's older systems.

So, does this mean HP has acquired Maxtor or Seagate?
September 11, 2004 5:37:18 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:46:25 -0700, Winey <NOSPAMME@no-one-here.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:17:22 GMT, "S.Heenan" <sheenan@wahs.ac> wrote:
>
>>Winey wrote:

>>> Where?
>>
>>http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_product/e_dvd%20r...
>
>Which proves absolutely nothing whatever.

You're not checking hard enough ;)
September 17, 2004 2:01:34 AM

> >> Looking at buying a dual layer burner any suggestions
> >

> >Plextor !
> >

> Does Plextor have a dual layer burner ?
>
> I looked at the reviews and bought a Pioneer 108.

Plextor PX-712A
!