Problem with PCChips M848ALU and Athlon XP 3200+

Daniel

I have purchased two PCChips M848ALU motherboards, and are having a
problem with each of them. It seems to work OK with an AMD Athlon XP
2100+ processor, but not with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor. If I
use the 3200+ it will only power on if the jumper (JP1) has been
cleared, and then reset. If I then reboot, nothing comes up on the
screen.

I have updated the motherboard with the latest firmware, but still
have the same problem.

I have tried another 3200+ processor, and I am having the same
problem.

Anyone got any ideas ??

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

"Daniel" <news@djbnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have purchased two PCChips M848ALU motherboards, and are having a
> problem with each of them. It seems to work OK with an AMD Athlon XP
> 2100+ processor, but not with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor. If I
> use the 3200+ it will only power on if the jumper (JP1) has been
> cleared, and then reset. If I then reboot, nothing comes up on the
> screen.
>
> I have updated the motherboard with the latest firmware, but still
> have the same problem.
>
> I have tried another 3200+ processor, and I am having the same
> problem.
>
> Anyone got any ideas ??

Junk / return the boards. Even when PCChips boards work theres a massive
preformance hit.

www.overclockers.co.uk have a spakle nForce2 for £30 GBP

hamman

Not Junk.....

I've built a number of machines in recent years based on PCChips boards.
They're cheap and unexciting - but they do the job. They don't have the
bells, whistles or manuals :eek:) that other manufactures offer. But who reads
the manual anyway? And (as a "for instance") I think that IR and Firewire
will have come and gone without me ever have used or fitted one of these
devices... :eek:)

Regarding the OP question: did you check that the M848ALU supports 200FSB
Barton cored XP's.....?

..... didn't think so.

Pete

"Hamman" <none@example.com> wrote in message

> "Daniel" <news@djbnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have purchased two PCChips M848ALU motherboards, and are having a
>> problem with each of them. It seems to work OK with an AMD Athlon XP
>> 2100+ processor, but not with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ processor. If I
>> use the 3200+ it will only power on if the jumper (JP1) has been
>> cleared, and then reset. If I then reboot, nothing comes up on the
>> screen.
>>
>> I have updated the motherboard with the latest firmware, but still
>> have the same problem.
>>
>> I have tried another 3200+ processor, and I am having the same
>> problem.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas ??
>>
> Junk / return the boards. Even when PCChips boards work theres a massive
> preformance hit.
>
> www.overclockers.co.uk have a spakle nForce2 for £30 GBP
>
> hamman

Daniel

"Immuno" <immunodevice@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Regarding the OP question: did you check that the M848ALU supports 200FSB
> Barton cored XP's.....?
>
> .... didn't think so.
>
> Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes, it does - Managed to get it work by manually setting the the ratio for
CPU/Memory.

Don't you mean 400FSB ?? - Or is that just another way of putting it ?

Thanks
Daniel

Didn't say it couldn't :eek:)

But as you've found out, it only suports a FSB of 200MHz by manually
overclocking.

Pete