Kingwin or Evercool Watercooling kits - worth it?

Poco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004

I was set to get Thermalright XP-120 and Zalman ZM80D for my P4-3.2C and
9800XT since they run about 50C and 65C at load respectively with
Thermalright SLK948 and Zalman ZM80C at default speeds. But then I noticed
I can get either Kingwin AWC-1 or Evercool WC-201 for more or less same
price. I only want to shave off 5C or so for each with moderate overclock,
and was wondering if these cheapo water coolers can accomplish that as I'm
kind of concerned about air flow with these humongous coolers also (the XP-
120 and ZM80D I was going to get). Noise level right now is acceptable, but
if I have to get higher RPM case fans to help with air flow because of the
new coolers, the noise might get higher than I like.
If any one has opinions, I'd appreciate it.

PJ

"poco" <me@fake.address> wrote in message
> I was set to get Thermalright XP-120 and Zalman ZM80D for my P4-3.2C and
> 9800XT since they run about 50C and 65C at load respectively with
> Thermalright SLK948 and Zalman ZM80C at default speeds. But then I noticed
> I can get either Kingwin AWC-1 or Evercool WC-201 for more or less same
> price. I only want to shave off 5C or so for each with moderate overclock,
> and was wondering if these cheapo water coolers can accomplish that as I'm
> kind of concerned about air flow with these humongous coolers also (the
XP-
> 120 and ZM80D I was going to get). Noise level right now is acceptable,
but
> if I have to get higher RPM case fans to help with air flow because of the
> new coolers, the noise might get higher than I like.
> If any one has opinions, I'd appreciate it.

What is the difference between case and CPU temp at idle? At load? At idle,
the CPU temp should be as close to, or lower than the reading for case temp
(MB temp really). Also, the higher the idle/load temps, the more case
venting you need.
Under load, the bigger the difference between CPU and case, the more
improvement you need for a CPU heatsink.

Cheap watercooling is not as good as a decent CPU fan and proper case
venting.

Poco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004

"Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in

> "poco" <me@fake.address> wrote in message
>> I was set to get Thermalright XP-120 and Zalman ZM80D for my P4-3.2C
>> and 9800XT since they run about 50C and 65C at load respectively with
>> Thermalright SLK948 and Zalman ZM80C at default speeds. But then I
>> noticed I can get either Kingwin AWC-1 or Evercool WC-201 for more or
>> less same price. I only want to shave off 5C or so for each with
>> moderate overclock, and was wondering if these cheapo water coolers
>> can accomplish that as I'm kind of concerned about air flow with
>> these humongous coolers also (the
> XP-
>> 120 and ZM80D I was going to get). Noise level right now is
>> acceptable,
> but
>> if I have to get higher RPM case fans to help with air flow because
>> of the new coolers, the noise might get higher than I like.
>> If any one has opinions, I'd appreciate it.
>
> What is the difference between case and CPU temp at idle? At load? At
> idle, the CPU temp should be as close to, or lower than the reading
> for case temp (MB temp really). Also, the higher the idle/load temps,
> the more case venting you need.
> Under load, the bigger the difference between CPU and case, the more
> improvement you need for a CPU heatsink.

The CPU runs about 9C higher than MB at idle to about 23C higher under
load. The CPU always ran pretty hot at idle though for some reason. I
remember it running noticeable hotter than a 3.0c I had even when
basically running out of a case. I was hoping geting an xp-120 would
bring down the CPU temp a little, but you don't think it will help that
much? I could increase the vent flow by cutting out the fan grills, but
that's about all I can do to increase the air flow other than going to
4000+RPM fans as the case alreasy has 7 fans and the case is about as
clutter free as it can be already.

> Cheap watercooling is not as good as a decent CPU fan and proper case
> venting.

That's what I figured. Thanks for your thoughts.

> The CPU runs about 9C higher than MB at idle to about 23C higher under
> load. The CPU always ran pretty hot at idle though for some reason. I
> remember it running noticeable hotter than a 3.0c I had even when
> basically running out of a case. I was hoping geting an xp-120 would
> bring down the CPU temp a little, but you don't think it will help that
> much? I could increase the vent flow by cutting out the fan grills, but
> that's about all I can do to increase the air flow other than going to
> 4000+RPM fans as the case alreasy has 7 fans and the case is about as
> clutter free as it can be already.

Make sure you are getting as much air through the case as you can. As for a
CPU heatsink, you want something heavy and solid, with enough area exposed
that the air going by can draw off all the heat as possible.

TRENDING THREADS