A Wide Case?

Evening all,

Am slowly building my own water cool system, im making building my own
resoivar among other things, the main problem i see thus far with my set up
is its not going to fit inside my old case, which is 200mm (8"ish) wide and
370mm (14.5"ish) Long (Thats the internal Dimentions).

Am hoping that rather than scanning through a stack of websites you guys
could advise if you have a case that is wider than mine by a bit, and give
me the make/model of it, i dont mind if its pretty or ugly, ally. perspex,
or trusty old steel, but i am after somthing not worth more than a
Prescott...

Will post a link to my Water cool Projects Site in a day or two so you can
see what i'm up too.

Cheers

Charlie..

Mobo: Asus P4B533
CPU: P4 2.4b @ 3.11Ghz (SL6Q8) Load Temp 50C on Air
RAM: Seitec PC-2700
Graphics: PowerColor 9600 Pro Bravo Edition

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:00:23 +1200, Charlie Fox
<cpjANTISPAMfox@slingshotANTISPAM.co.nzREMOVEANTISPAMTOREPLY> wrote:

> Evening all,
>
> Am slowly building my own water cool system, im making building my own
> resoivar among other things, the main problem i see thus far with my set
> up
> is its not going to fit inside my old case, which is 200mm (8"ish) wide
> and
> 370mm (14.5"ish) Long (Thats the internal Dimentions).
>
> Am hoping that rather than scanning through a stack of websites you guys
> could advise if you have a case that is wider than mine by a bit, and
> give
> me the make/model of it, i dont mind if its pretty or ugly, ally.
> perspex,
> or trusty old steel, but i am after somthing not worth more than a
> Prescott...
>
> Will post a link to my Water cool Projects Site in a day or two so you
> can
> see what i'm up too.
>
> Cheers
>
> Charlie..
>
> Mobo: Asus P4B533
> CPU: P4 2.4b @ 3.11Ghz (SL6Q8) Load Temp 50C on Air
> RAM: Seitec PC-2700
> Graphics: PowerColor 9600 Pro Bravo Edition

Here is another option;
I took a car-interieur heating radiator and placed it OUTSIDE the case.
This way you save space and second (important!!) the heat from the cpu
(and my GPU) are taken away from all the other components. The case stay's
nice cool for the drives etc.

Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

wrote in message news:1094979739.619462@ftpsrv1...

" Am hoping that rather than scanning through a stack of websites you guys
could advise if you have a case that is wider than mine by a bit, and give
me the make/model of it, i dont mind if its pretty or ugly, ally. perspex,
or trusty old steel, but i am after somthing not worth more than a
Prescott... "

Have you seen the I-Tee cases...? http://www.enscape.net/?id=161

<SNIP>
> Here is another option;
> I took a car-interieur heating radiator and placed it OUTSIDE the case.
> This way you save space and second (important!!) the heat from the cpu
> (and my GPU) are taken away from all the other components. The case stay's
> nice cool for the drives etc.
>
> Bonobo

That is what i'm using for the Radiator a Cars Heater Core, and yes i oculd
mount it outside the case, but wheres the fun in that? ;o)
> --
> DutchDareDevil

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:23:18 +1200, Charlie Fox
<cpjANTISPAMfox@slingshotANTISPAM.co.nzREMOVEANTISPAMTOREPLY> wrote:

> <SNIP>
>> Here is another option;
>> I took a car-interieur heating radiator and placed it OUTSIDE the
>> case.
>> This way you save space and second (important!!) the heat from the cpu
>> (and my GPU) are taken away from all the other components. The case
>> stay's
>> nice cool for the drives etc.
>>
>> Bonobo
>>

> That is what i'm using for the Radiator a Cars Heater Core, and yes i
> oculd
> mount it outside the case, but wheres the fun in that? ;o)
>> --

No fun, just a cooler case interrior

Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

"Charlie Fox" <cpjANTISPAMfox@slingshotANTISPAM.co.nzREMOVEANTISPAMTOREPLY>
wrote in message news:1094979739.619462@ftpsrv1...
> Evening all,
>
> Am slowly building my own water cool system, im making building my own
> resoivar among other things, the main problem i see thus far with my set
up
> is its not going to fit inside my old case, which is 200mm (8"ish) wide
and
> 370mm (14.5"ish) Long (Thats the internal Dimentions).

Lian Li V2000 LOTS of room in there!

"Bonobo" <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:eek:psd7smsvlabsjsi@h-l.lan...
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:23:18 +1200, Charlie Fox
> <cpjANTISPAMfox@slingshotANTISPAM.co.nzREMOVEANTISPAMTOREPLY> wrote:
>
> > <SNIP>
> >> Here is another option;
> >> I took a car-interieur heating radiator and placed it OUTSIDE the
> >> case.
> >> This way you save space and second (important!!) the heat from the cpu
> >> (and my GPU) are taken away from all the other components. The case
> >> stay's
> >> nice cool for the drives etc.
> >>
> >> Bonobo
> >>

> > That is what i'm using for the Radiator a Cars Heater Core, and yes i
> > oculd
> > mount it outside the case, but wheres the fun in that? ;o)
> >> --
>

> No fun, just a cooler case interrior

Thats True...

But with the setup i'll be using (2 x 120mm Fans Blowing air out of the Case
Through my Radiator) My Radiator will pretty much be the exhaust point for
my computer, So the vast majority of any heat that the radiator would add to
my case would be a tiny amount of heat radiating from the edges of itself,
this i would imagine would be no more than the heat that leeches out of the
Water pipework, that being insignificant.

Also as Pretty much everything is going to be water cooled (ie CPU, GPU, NB
& Ram, so the temp of the case is somewhat insignificant (Without taking
HDD's into consideration), except that The radiator will be cooled with air
above ambiant, as the case despite allmost all Major Heat sources previously
radiating inside the case, will be warmer.

I May infuture Forgo Aesthetics and Reverse My set up for the purposes of
having cooler air cooling my Radiator, but for now i want things perdy.

Apoligies if the above makes little sense or appears offending, neither are
intentional, but a result of not being very tired, unable to sleep, and
wasting an hour by browsing my NG's.

Thanks Charlie.

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:21:28 +1200, Charlie Fox
<cpjANTISPAMfox@slingshotANTISPAM.co.nzREMOVEANTISPAMTOREPLY> wrote:

> "Bonobo" <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:23:18 +1200, Charlie Fox
>> <cpjANTISPAMfox@slingshotANTISPAM.co.nzREMOVEANTISPAMTOREPLY> wrote:
>>
>> > <SNIP>
>> cpu

>> > That is what i'm using for the Radiator a Cars Heater Core, and yes i
>> > oculd
>> > mount it outside the case, but wheres the fun in that? ;o)
>>

>> No fun, just a cooler case interrior
>
> Thats True...
>
> But with the setup i'll be using (2 x 120mm Fans Blowing air out of the
> Case
> Through my Radiator) My Radiator will pretty much be the exhaust point
> for
> my computer, So the vast majority of any heat that the radiator would
> add to
> my case would be a tiny amount of heat radiating from the edges of
> itself,
> this i would imagine would be no more than the heat that leeches out of
> the
> Water pipework, that being insignificant.
>
> Also as Pretty much everything is going to be water cooled (ie CPU, GPU,
> NB
> & Ram, so the temp of the case is somewhat insignificant (Without taking
> HDD's into consideration), except that The radiator will be cooled with
> air
> above ambiant, as the case despite allmost all Major Heat sources
> previously
> radiating inside the case, will be warmer.
>
> I May infuture Forgo Aesthetics and Reverse My set up for the purposes of
> having cooler air cooling my Radiator, but for now i want things perdy.
>

> Apoligies if the above makes little sense or appears offending, neither
> are

Not at all charlie

> intentional, but a result of not being very tired, unable to sleep, and
> wasting an hour by browsing my NG's.
>
> Thanks Charlie.

I don't now what fan's you are using, but is the system still "quiet"...

When I start my system now I'm still amazed about the quietness of the
system and in the first day's I used the external-radiator I put my head
under the desk to listen if the puter realy started...

Next fase will be (I think..) open the powersupply to see if I can
"watercool" some parts there to, so I can elaminate "the last of the
air-fans" .

And then.... maybe I can hear butterfly's entering the room......

Regards,

Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

"Bonobo" <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:eek:psd72g0a8absjsi@h-l.lan...
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:21:28 +1200, Charlie Fox
> <cpjANTISPAMfox@slingshotANTISPAM.co.nzREMOVEANTISPAMTOREPLY> wrote:
>

> > "Bonobo" <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

> >> cpu

> >> No fun, just a cooler case interrior
> >
> > Thats True...
> >
> > But with the setup i'll be using (2 x 120mm Fans Blowing air out of the
> > Case
> > Through my Radiator) My Radiator will pretty much be the exhaust point
> > for
> > my computer, So the vast majority of any heat that the radiator would
> > add to
> > my case would be a tiny amount of heat radiating from the edges of
> > itself,
> > this i would imagine would be no more than the heat that leeches out of
> > the
> > Water pipework, that being insignificant.
> >
> > Also as Pretty much everything is going to be water cooled (ie CPU, GPU,
> > NB
> > & Ram, so the temp of the case is somewhat insignificant (Without taking
> > HDD's into consideration), except that The radiator will be cooled with
> > air
> > above ambiant, as the case despite allmost all Major Heat sources
> > previously
> > radiating inside the case, will be warmer.
> >
> > I May infuture Forgo Aesthetics and Reverse My set up for the purposes
of
> > having cooler air cooling my Radiator, but for now i want things perdy.
> >

> > Apoligies if the above makes little sense or appears offending, neither
> > are
>
> Not at all charlie
>

> > intentional, but a result of not being very tired, unable to sleep, and
> > wasting an hour by browsing my NG's.
> >
> > Thanks Charlie.
> >

> I don't now what fan's you are using, but is the system still "quiet"...
>
> When I start my system now I'm still amazed about the quietness of the
> system and in the first day's I used the external-radiator I put my head
> under the desk to listen if the puter realy started...
>
> Next fase will be (I think..) open the powersupply to see if I can
> "watercool" some parts there to, so I can elaminate "the last of the
> air-fans" .
>
> And then.... maybe I can hear butterfly's entering the room......
>
> Regards,
>
> Bonobo
>
> --
> DutchDareDevil

Check out: http://zfz.com/projects.asp?request=liquidenermax550w

That guy is to water cooling what Big Foot was to Monster Trucks, well
kinda, actually not at all, but his projects are darn cool, no pun intended.

Charlie.

> Check out: http://zfz.com/projects.asp?request=liquidenermax550w
>
> That guy is to water cooling what Big Foot was to Monster Trucks, well
> kinda, actually not at all, but his projects are darn cool, no pun
intended.

Here's what I'd like to see.... some company is making the equivalent of
3M's fluorinert at (somewhat) reasonable prices. In a water-cooled rig, you
could seal off the PSU nice and tight, tap it for an inlet and an outlet,
and directly liquid-cool the PSU using that chemical instead of water, as
it's electrically non-conductive. ; )

steve

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in message

> > Check out: http://zfz.com/projects.asp?request=liquidenermax550w
> >
> > That guy is to water cooling what Big Foot was to Monster Trucks, well
> > kinda, actually not at all, but his projects are darn cool, no pun
> intended.
>
> Here's what I'd like to see.... some company is making the equivalent
of
> 3M's fluorinert at (somewhat) reasonable prices. In a water-cooled rig,
you
> could seal off the PSU nice and tight, tap it for an inlet and an outlet,
> and directly liquid-cool the PSU using that chemical instead of water, as
> it's electrically non-conductive. ; )
>
> steve

I'll take it for granted you've seen this project by a fellow Kiwi?

http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=submersion.html

Now thats what i call super cooling LOL

Charlie.

> I'll take it for granted you've seen this project by a fellow Kiwi?
>
> http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=submersion.html
>
> Now thats what i call super cooling LOL

Yep, that's what had me thinking of the fluorinert! Well, that, and the
review I read a couple of days ago on the new "generic" brand. I just can't
recall where I read it.

steve

Frankly, if you live in a hot climate sticking the radiator outside isn't a bad idea :)
o That tends to be more useful when you have a rack of PCs, all water cooled
o Have seen it done and it turned an insufferable room into a very quiet cool one
o There are IP rated fans (just so you know), but winter may need anti-freeze.

Externalising a cooler is useful, enclosing it somewhat in say ABS sheet covered
plywood & aluminium corner angle allows you to baffle the fans re noise etc.

If you really want a larger case, convert a flight case - cheap on Ebay and dense
plywood will give excellent sound proofing, lots of space inside. Simply re-use
parts from your original case, eg, motherboard tray/HD-cages or simply mount
your case inside it with no sides or fascia on. USB link the DVD unit, so you
can move the unit further away or don't need to make the door hinged - and
probably don't need to watercool re lower cost due to sound-dampening etc.

Cost out the various solutions - flight-cases are cheap, RAM/CPU u/g
etc and may be more functional than water-cooling in terms of $ spend.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet Panaflo fans & other items