Re-Filling Cartridge for Epson C40UX

I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
adequate for me.

Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
removed - if not refilled.

How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?
5 answers Last reply
More about filling cartridge epson c40ux

    Al Smith wrote:
    > I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
    > exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
    > have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
    > adequate for me.
    >
    > Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
    > T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
    > removed - if not refilled.
    >
    > How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?

    Many Epson Printers have a "chip" embedded in the cartridge.
    Perhaps the T013 is chipped.
    It keeps track of how much ink you used since it was installed.
    You cannot simply refill the cartridge and start over.
    There is a website that sells a device to reset the chip so you can
    refill with off-brand inks. Try Googling on Epson Printer Chip Resetter
    or something similar.
    Bob Williams

    There are no chips on the T013 or T014 cartridges.

    While you can refill them, we found the standard
    process of filling problematic. Given the delicacy
    of the machine, we recommend that you find a quality
    compatible cartridge instead of refilling.

    --
    WeInk.com Technical Support
    Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
    "Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message

    > Al Smith wrote:
    > > I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
    > > exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
    > > have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
    > > adequate for me.
    > >
    > > Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
    > > T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
    > > removed - if not refilled.
    > >
    > > How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?
    > >

    > Many Epson Printers have a "chip" embedded in the cartridge.
    > Perhaps the T013 is chipped.
    > It keeps track of how much ink you used since it was installed.
    > You cannot simply refill the cartridge and start over.
    > There is a website that sells a device to reset the chip so you can
    > refill with off-brand inks. Try Googling on Epson Printer Chip Resetter
    > or something similar.
    > Bob Williams

    "Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message

    > Al Smith wrote:
    > > I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
    > > exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
    > > have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
    > > adequate for me.
    > >
    > > Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
    > > T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
    > > removed - if not refilled.
    > >
    > > How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?
    > >

    > Many Epson Printers have a "chip" embedded in the cartridge.
    > Perhaps the T013 is chipped.

    No. It isn't "chipped."

    > It keeps track of how much ink you used since it was installed.

    It does sorta keep track.

    > You cannot simply refill the cartridge and start over.

    Yes, you can.

    > There is a website that sells a device to reset the chip so you can
    > refill with off-brand inks. Try Googling on Epson Printer Chip Resetter
    > or something similar.
    > Bob Williams

    There is no chip to reset. In the printer, there is something that
    keeps track of how much ink is used.

    <ink_N_O_S_P_A_M_support@WeN_o_S_P_A_M_Ink.com> wrote in message
    > There are no chips on the T013 or T014 cartridges.
    >
    > While you can refill them, we found the standard
    > process of filling problematic. Given the delicacy
    > of the machine, we recommend that you find a quality
    > compatible cartridge instead of refilling.

    Delicacy or cheapness?

    I had no problem refilling the cartridge. I had trouble
    resetting the "counter" in the printer that keeps track
    of how much ink is used. I figured it out once or -
    probably more likely - stumbled on to resetting it, but
    I don't know how to do it, now.

    AND, the printer won't work unless the "counter" is reset.

    > --
    > WeInk.com Technical Support
    > Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
    > Toll Free Orders: 1-800-559-3465
    > http://www.weink.com/
    > Subscribe to our newsletter and
    > get up to 20% off your order.
    > "Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Al Smith wrote:
    > > > I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
    > > > exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
    > > > have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
    > > > adequate for me.
    > > >
    > > > Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
    > > > T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
    > > > removed - if not refilled.
    > > >
    > > > How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?
    > > >

    > > Many Epson Printers have a "chip" embedded in the cartridge.
    > > Perhaps the T013 is chipped.
    > > It keeps track of how much ink you used since it was installed.
    > > You cannot simply refill the cartridge and start over.
    > > There is a website that sells a device to reset the chip so you can
    > > refill with off-brand inks. Try Googling on Epson Printer Chip Resetter
    > > or something similar.
    > > Bob Williams

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:44:07 -0700, Bob Williams
    <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:

    >I don't see
    >how the printer would know whether you are inserting a NEW cartridge or
    >an old cartridge that has been refilled.

    Although we are talking about Epsons here, I can attest to the fact
    that certain HP's do remember if you are replacing the same cart as
    was in before. I ran an HP952c before my resent printer and it could
    remember the last 3 carts. In other words, when I refilled a cart, I
    had to rotate through three old carts (fresh printer boot between each
    cart) to wipe any memory of the cart I refilled from the printer's
    last 3 cart memory so it would recognize the refilled cart as a "New"
    cart.

    I guess each HP cart for that specific printer has some sort of
    identifier in the cart chip and the printer had enough mem to hold
    enough identifiers to know what was the last 3 carts used in that
    printer. Thus, rotating through 3 old carts to wash the identifier
    for the refilled cart from the printer's memory before putting it back
    in as a fresh refill.

    Maybe this model Epson works the same way.

    Regards,
    TR

Printers Epson Peripherals