Re-Filling Cartridge for Epson C40UX

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 8, 2004 2:05:17 PM

I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
adequate for me.

Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
removed - if not refilled.

How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 6:58:48 AM

Al Smith wrote:
> I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
> exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
> have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
> adequate for me.
>
> Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
> T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
> removed - if not refilled.
>
> How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?

Many Epson Printers have a "chip" embedded in the cartridge.
Perhaps the T013 is chipped.
It keeps track of how much ink you used since it was installed.
You cannot simply refill the cartridge and start over.
There is a website that sells a device to reset the chip so you can
refill with off-brand inks. Try Googling on Epson Printer Chip Resetter
or something similar.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 7:22:12 PM

There are no chips on the T013 or T014 cartridges.

While you can refill them, we found the standard
process of filling problematic. Given the delicacy
of the machine, we recommend that you find a quality
compatible cartridge instead of refilling.

--
WeInk.com Technical Support
Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message

> Al Smith wrote:
> > I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
> > exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
> > have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
> > adequate for me.
> >
> > Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
> > T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
> > removed - if not refilled.
> >
> > How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?
> >

> Many Epson Printers have a "chip" embedded in the cartridge.
> Perhaps the T013 is chipped.
> It keeps track of how much ink you used since it was installed.
> You cannot simply refill the cartridge and start over.
> There is a website that sells a device to reset the chip so you can
> refill with off-brand inks. Try Googling on Epson Printer Chip Resetter
> or something similar.
> Bob Williams

August 10, 2004 7:37:23 PM

"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message

> Al Smith wrote:
> > I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
> > exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
> > have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
> > adequate for me.
> >
> > Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
> > T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
> > removed - if not refilled.
> >
> > How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?
> >

> Many Epson Printers have a "chip" embedded in the cartridge.
> Perhaps the T013 is chipped.

No. It isn't "chipped."

> It keeps track of how much ink you used since it was installed.

It does sorta keep track.

> You cannot simply refill the cartridge and start over.

Yes, you can.

> There is a website that sells a device to reset the chip so you can
> refill with off-brand inks. Try Googling on Epson Printer Chip Resetter
> or something similar.
> Bob Williams

There is no chip to reset. In the printer, there is something that
keeps track of how much ink is used.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 7:40:32 PM

<ink_N_O_S_P_A_M_support@WeN_o_S_P_A_M_Ink.com> wrote in message
> There are no chips on the T013 or T014 cartridges.
>
> While you can refill them, we found the standard
> process of filling problematic. Given the delicacy
> of the machine, we recommend that you find a quality
> compatible cartridge instead of refilling.

Delicacy or cheapness?

I had no problem refilling the cartridge. I had trouble
resetting the "counter" in the printer that keeps track
of how much ink is used. I figured it out once or -
probably more likely - stumbled on to resetting it, but
I don't know how to do it, now.

AND, the printer won't work unless the "counter" is reset.

> --
> WeInk.com Technical Support
> Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759
> Toll Free Orders: 1-800-559-3465
> http://www.weink.com/
> Subscribe to our newsletter and
> get up to 20% off your order.
> "Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message
> >

> > Al Smith wrote:
> > > I have an Epson C40UX for which I had to pay the
> > > exorbitant price of $0 when I bought my 'puter. I
> > > have seen more expensive printers, but this is completely
> > > adequate for me.
> > >
> > > Although there appear to be no electric contacts to the
> > > T013 cartridge, somehow it seems to know that it has been
> > > removed - if not refilled.
> > >
> > > How do I reset the printer for a refilled cartridge?
> > >

> > Many Epson Printers have a "chip" embedded in the cartridge.
> > Perhaps the T013 is chipped.
> > It keeps track of how much ink you used since it was installed.
> > You cannot simply refill the cartridge and start over.
> > There is a website that sells a device to reset the chip so you can
> > refill with off-brand inks. Try Googling on Epson Printer Chip Resetter
> > or something similar.
> > Bob Williams

August 10, 2004 11:41:07 PM

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:44:07 -0700, Bob Williams
<mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote:

>I don't see
>how the printer would know whether you are inserting a NEW cartridge or
>an old cartridge that has been refilled.

Although we are talking about Epsons here, I can attest to the fact
that certain HP's do remember if you are replacing the same cart as
was in before. I ran an HP952c before my resent printer and it could
remember the last 3 carts. In other words, when I refilled a cart, I
had to rotate through three old carts (fresh printer boot between each
cart) to wipe any memory of the cart I refilled from the printer's
last 3 cart memory so it would recognize the refilled cart as a "New"
cart.

I guess each HP cart for that specific printer has some sort of
identifier in the cart chip and the printer had enough mem to hold
enough identifiers to know what was the last 3 carts used in that
printer. Thus, rotating through 3 old carts to wash the identifier
for the refilled cart from the printer's memory before putting it back
in as a fresh refill.

Maybe this model Epson works the same way.

Regards,
TR
!