Overclock settings for P4p800?

Above MoBo with 2 gigs Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes X 4

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz

What would best settings be to overclock?

The ASUS settings for 5 or 10 % overclock are unstable.

Should I enable performance mode?

Video card is ATI 9600 AIW.

TIA!

"Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Above MoBo with 2 gigs Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes X 4
>
> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
>
> What would best settings be to overclock?
>
> The ASUS settings for 5 or 10 % overclock are unstable.
>
> Should I enable performance mode?
>
> Video card is ATI 9600 AIW.
>
> TIA!

Do not overclock your system. Corsair PC3200 is weak in overclocking, so you
will have to reduce their ratio to 5:4 if you want to increase the FSB
speed. And in order to have your DDR again at nominal speed, you will have
to oc the FSB with 25%, which is a lot. On the other side, the P4 3.2 GHz is
also not a king for oc'ing and will probably run hot at high speeds, wich
will involve extra cooling.
Finally, oc'ng the P4P800 with % settings is a bad idea. You'd better use
individual settings for ram, fsb, bus synchronisation, aso.
And if you do overclocking, yo should not enable performance mode if you
want to keep system stability.
Whatever you do, I believe the practical performance gain you could achieve
with your actual system is not worth the efforts, except if you have some
particular applcations that require extra cpu speed (I did not say system
speed!).

Len

Have the Deluxe version of the same MB. Had been running it for over a year
at 30% overclock with a 2.4c CPU and Kingston Hyperx 3500 but needed a 5:4
ration to do so.

Recently purchased 1Gb of (relatively unknown) PMI 3700 (2 x 512) sticks and
am now running a 20% at 1:1 albeit with less tight memory timings (2.5 3 4
5) as compared to the HyperX at 2 3 2 5. Note that in neither case was the
CPU the limiting factor. However, as you get higher in the base speed of
the CPU you grow closer to the core's capability so less room for
overclocking.

Have always set performance mode to auto as in my experience without a
hacked BIOS anything over 200Mhz FSB disables that mode on this board. I do
however use turbo mode and have since day one. According to CPUz the
current bus speed is 240Mhz which is fine for my applications. BTW I did
try the 30% overclock and the system/XP did boot and run but with some
little intermitent issues here and there. Backing it off 10% has allowed
for a very stable yet still quick (for video editing) machine.

FWIW,
Len

"Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Above MoBo with 2 gigs Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes X 4
>
> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
>
> What would best settings be to overclock?
>
> The ASUS settings for 5 or 10 % overclock are unstable.
>
> Should I enable performance mode?
>
> Video card is ATI 9600 AIW.
>
> TIA!

Hmmm...conflicting opinions.
Wish it was clearer.

Have it at 5% now for just one day and it SEEMS stable. any other
consensus?

"Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Have the Deluxe version of the same MB. Had been running it for over a
> year at 30% overclock with a 2.4c CPU and Kingston Hyperx 3500 but needed
> a 5:4 ration to do so.
>
> Recently purchased 1Gb of (relatively unknown) PMI 3700 (2 x 512) sticks
> and am now running a 20% at 1:1 albeit with less tight memory timings (2.5
> 3 4 5) as compared to the HyperX at 2 3 2 5. Note that in neither case
> was the CPU the limiting factor. However, as you get higher in the base
> speed of the CPU you grow closer to the core's capability so less room for
> overclocking.
>
> Have always set performance mode to auto as in my experience without a
> hacked BIOS anything over 200Mhz FSB disables that mode on this board. I
> do however use turbo mode and have since day one. According to CPUz the
> current bus speed is 240Mhz which is fine for my applications. BTW I did
> try the 30% overclock and the system/XP did boot and run but with some
> little intermitent issues here and there. Backing it off 10% has allowed
> for a very stable yet still quick (for video editing) machine.
>
> FWIW,
> Len
>
> "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Above MoBo with 2 gigs Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes X 4
>>
>> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
>>
>> What would best settings be to overclock?
>>
>> The ASUS settings for 5 or 10 % overclock are unstable.
>>
>> Should I enable performance mode?
>>
>> Video card is ATI 9600 AIW.
>>
>> TIA!

try Prime 85 to test system stability

Locust

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:37:57 GMT, "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hmmm...conflicting opinions.
>Wish it was clearer.
>
>Have it at 5% now for just one day and it SEEMS stable. any other
>consensus?
>
>"Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Have the Deluxe version of the same MB. Had been running it for over a
>> year at 30% overclock with a 2.4c CPU and Kingston Hyperx 3500 but needed
>> a 5:4 ration to do so.
>>
>> Recently purchased 1Gb of (relatively unknown) PMI 3700 (2 x 512) sticks
>> and am now running a 20% at 1:1 albeit with less tight memory timings (2.5
>> 3 4 5) as compared to the HyperX at 2 3 2 5. Note that in neither case
>> was the CPU the limiting factor. However, as you get higher in the base
>> speed of the CPU you grow closer to the core's capability so less room for
>> overclocking.
>>
>> Have always set performance mode to auto as in my experience without a
>> hacked BIOS anything over 200Mhz FSB disables that mode on this board. I
>> do however use turbo mode and have since day one. According to CPUz the
>> current bus speed is 240Mhz which is fine for my applications. BTW I did
>> try the 30% overclock and the system/XP did boot and run but with some
>> little intermitent issues here and there. Backing it off 10% has allowed
>> for a very stable yet still quick (for video editing) machine.
>>
>> FWIW,
>> Len
>>
>> "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Above MoBo with 2 gigs Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes X 4
>>>
>>> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
>>>
>>> What would best settings be to overclock?
>>>
>>> The ASUS settings for 5 or 10 % overclock are unstable.
>>>
>>> Should I enable performance mode?
>>>
>>> Video card is ATI 9600 AIW.
>>>
>>> TIA!

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Marathon wrote:
> Hmmm...conflicting opinions.
> Wish it was clearer.
>
> Have it at 5% now for just one day and it SEEMS stable. any other
> consensus?

Sure, try some diferent settings, and see which is fastest.

1) 5% O/C
2) O/C CPU to the max, having the memory tagging along at 5:4

See, benchmark yourself which is fastest for your applications
(games/office/whatever)

Thomas

i got the p4p800 deluxe and 2.8 prescott, 2 x 256 OCZ pc3200 2.5 3 3 7 dual
channel, ATI 9200aiw. i didn't see too many options in the bios to manually
configure the settings. it wont boot at 30% (temperature issue) but runs
very stable at 20% for 3 months now at 44-50 deg. i can write/recode dvds
while downloading and watching dvd on the tv out all at the same time. i've
tried turbo and auto on the performance mode but noticed no difference. i do
a lot of video editing/processing and this mobo/cpu combo is great.

here's my info from cpu-z:

core speed = 3360mhz
voltage = 1.5
fsb = 240
ddr = 160mhz 3:2 ratio 2.5 4 4 8

hope this helps

> Hmmm...conflicting opinions.
> Wish it was clearer.
>
> Have it at 5% now for just one day and it SEEMS stable. any other
> consensus?

Nor really conflicting. Len says he was able to oc with PC3200, but only
while reducing the ratio at 5:4, as I said too. On the other side, the cpu
was a 2.4 Ghz, which is the best for overclocking. In general terms, the
lower the P4 core frequency, the more room you have for oc'ing. Many 2.4 GHz
cpu's reach frequencies above 3.0 GHz, while oc'ing a 3.0 GHz to only 3.4
GHz will require special (I mean not custom) cooling.
That's why I said there will not be much benefit in your particular case
(assuming you keep your PC3200).

Got Clockgen for IC252607

Seems to be running at
CPU 3.456
FSB 216.04
Temp holding at 36 but not working much

Does this sound right?

"S Leppago" <shirly.leppago@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>i got the p4p800 deluxe and 2.8 prescott, 2 x 256 OCZ pc3200 2.5 3 3 7
>dual
> channel, ATI 9200aiw. i didn't see too many options in the bios to
> manually
> configure the settings. it wont boot at 30% (temperature issue) but runs
> very stable at 20% for 3 months now at 44-50 deg. i can write/recode dvds
> while downloading and watching dvd on the tv out all at the same time.
> i've
> tried turbo and auto on the performance mode but noticed no difference. i
> do
> a lot of video editing/processing and this mobo/cpu combo is great.
>
> here's my info from cpu-z:
>
> core speed = 3360mhz
> voltage = 1.5
> fsb = 240
> ddr = 160mhz 3:2 ratio 2.5 4 4 8
>
> hope this helps
>

> "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Have the Deluxe version of the same MB. Had been running it for over a
> year
>> at 30% overclock with a 2.4c CPU and Kingston Hyperx 3500 but needed a
>> 5:4
>> ration to do so.
>>
>> Recently purchased 1Gb of (relatively unknown) PMI 3700 (2 x 512) sticks
> and
>> am now running a 20% at 1:1 albeit with less tight memory timings (2.5 3
>> 4
>> 5) as compared to the HyperX at 2 3 2 5. Note that in neither case was
> the
>> CPU the limiting factor. However, as you get higher in the base speed of
>> the CPU you grow closer to the core's capability so less room for
>> overclocking.
>>
>> Have always set performance mode to auto as in my experience without a
>> hacked BIOS anything over 200Mhz FSB disables that mode on this board. I
> do
>> however use turbo mode and have since day one. According to CPUz the
>> current bus speed is 240Mhz which is fine for my applications. BTW I did
>> try the 30% overclock and the system/XP did boot and run but with some
>> little intermitent issues here and there. Backing it off 10% has allowed
>> for a very stable yet still quick (for video editing) machine.
>>
>> FWIW,
>> Len
>>
>> "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Above MoBo with 2 gigs Corsair DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes X 4
>> >
>> > Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
>> >
>> > What would best settings be to overclock?
>> >
>> > The ASUS settings for 5 or 10 % overclock are unstable.
>> >
>> > Should I enable performance mode?
>> >
>> > Video card is ATI 9600 AIW.
>> >
>> > TIA!

200mhz seems kind of low gain for overclocking. you might as well run it on
stock settings for a while. have you updated the bios? unless you were
unlucky enough to get a poor mobo/cpu combo. i have used asus for 4 yrs now
and had always gained between 500 to 800 mhz. maybe try 5% run it for a
couple of weeks then try another 5% and so forth....unless your RAM is
holding you back.

> Got Clockgen for IC252607
>
> Seems to be running at
> CPU 3.456
> FSB 216.04
> Temp holding at 36 but not working much
>
> Does this sound right?
>

> "S Leppago" <shirly.leppago@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >i got the p4p800 deluxe and 2.8 prescott, 2 x 256 OCZ pc3200 2.5 3 3 7
> >dual
> > channel, ATI 9200aiw. i didn't see too many options in the bios to
> > manually
> > configure the settings. it wont boot at 30% (temperature issue) but runs
> > very stable at 20% for 3 months now at 44-50 deg. i can write/recode
dvds
> > while downloading and watching dvd on the tv out all at the same time.
> > i've
> > tried turbo and auto on the performance mode but noticed no difference.
> > do
> > a lot of video editing/processing and this mobo/cpu combo is great.
> >
> > here's my info from cpu-z:
> >
> > core speed = 3360mhz
> > voltage = 1.5
> > fsb = 240
> > ddr = 160mhz 3:2 ratio 2.5 4 4 8
> >
> > hope this helps
> >

> > "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Have the Deluxe version of the same MB. Had been running it for over a
> > year
> >> at 30% overclock with a 2.4c CPU and Kingston Hyperx 3500 but needed a
> >> 5:4
> >> ration to do so.
> >>
> >> Recently purchased 1Gb of (relatively unknown) PMI 3700 (2 x 512)
sticks
> > and
> >> am now running a 20% at 1:1 albeit with less tight memory timings (2.5
3
> >> 4
> >> 5) as compared to the HyperX at 2 3 2 5. Note that in neither case was
> > the
> >> CPU the limiting factor. However, as you get higher in the base speed
of
> >> the CPU you grow closer to the core's capability so less room for
> >> overclocking.
> >>
> >> Have always set performance mode to auto as in my experience without a
> >> hacked BIOS anything over 200Mhz FSB disables that mode on this board.
> > do
> >> however use turbo mode and have since day one. According to CPUz the
> >> current bus speed is 240Mhz which is fine for my applications. BTW I
did
> >> try the 30% overclock and the system/XP did boot and run but with some
> >> little intermitent issues here and there. Backing it off 10% has
allowed
> >> for a very stable yet still quick (for video editing) machine.
> >>
> >> FWIW,
> >> Len
> >>
> >> "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message

also loosen your ram settings to 3.4.4.7. My system will not boot with
your ram timmings, at 3.4.4.7 my p4 2,8 easily OCs to 3.3ghz.

Locust

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:32:15 -0400, "S Leppago"
<shirly.leppago@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>200mhz seems kind of low gain for overclocking. you might as well run it on
>stock settings for a while. have you updated the bios? unless you were
>unlucky enough to get a poor mobo/cpu combo. i have used asus for 4 yrs now
>and had always gained between 500 to 800 mhz. maybe try 5% run it for a
>couple of weeks then try another 5% and so forth....unless your RAM is
>holding you back.
>
>"Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Got Clockgen for IC252607
>>
>> Seems to be running at
>> CPU 3.456
>> FSB 216.04
>> Temp holding at 36 but not working much
>>
>> Does this sound right?
>>

>> "S Leppago" <shirly.leppago@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> >i got the p4p800 deluxe and 2.8 prescott, 2 x 256 OCZ pc3200 2.5 3 3 7
>> >dual
>> > channel, ATI 9200aiw. i didn't see too many options in the bios to
>> > manually
>> > configure the settings. it wont boot at 30% (temperature issue) but runs
>> > very stable at 20% for 3 months now at 44-50 deg. i can write/recode
>dvds
>> > while downloading and watching dvd on the tv out all at the same time.
>> > i've
>> > tried turbo and auto on the performance mode but noticed no difference.
>> > do
>> > a lot of video editing/processing and this mobo/cpu combo is great.
>> >
>> > here's my info from cpu-z:
>> >
>> > core speed = 3360mhz
>> > voltage = 1.5
>> > fsb = 240
>> > ddr = 160mhz 3:2 ratio 2.5 4 4 8
>> >
>> > hope this helps
>> >

>> > "Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > year

>sticks
>> > and
>3
>> > the
>of

>> > do
>did
>allowed

JTS

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

"ElJerid" <s.vanderhaeghen.nospam@pandora.be> wrote in message

> "Marathon" <jsssbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hmmm...conflicting opinions.
>> Wish it was clearer.
>>
>> Have it at 5% now for just one day and it SEEMS stable. any other
>> consensus?
>
> Nor really conflicting. Len says he was able to oc with PC3200, but only
> while reducing the ratio at 5:4, as I said too. On the other side, the cpu
> was a 2.4 Ghz, which is the best for overclocking. In general terms, the
> lower the P4 core frequency, the more room you have for oc'ing. Many 2.4
> GHz
> cpu's reach frequencies above 3.0 GHz, while oc'ing a 3.0 GHz to only 3.4
> GHz will require special (I mean not custom) cooling.

That is simply not true.