Pentium IV 2.4 GHz 533

I purchased a new Abit motherboard VI7 and used an older Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
533 FSB and the thing doesn't post. The beeps work and the video card shows
up but the whole thing stops at a PENTIUM 4 screen and I cannot go any
further than that.
Is my CPU fried? I did overclock for a long time before I took it out of an
earlier motherboard.
I suspect that the CPU is toast but I have never seen this screen before. I
don't get to the BIOS at all.

Never mind. The following is what I found when I went to the Abit site:

Why couldn't VI7 motherboard boot up? Doesn't it support the old 400 FSB P4
processors?

The VI7 follows Intel's recommendation to use new power design VRD10 for VIA
PT800 boards. According to the design guidelines, the CPU core voltage from
0.8375 to 1.6000 V. If an old 400 FSB P4 or Celeron processor with CPU core
voltage 1.75V installed to VI7 board, the board could not provide such high
core voltage and the CPU will malfunction. That's why Willamette and old
Celeron processors are incompatible with VIA PT800 boards. The 400 FSB
processors which could work on VI7 board are Northwood P4 (512K L2) and
Celeron 2G (128K L2, 1.525/1.530 V) and faster CPUs.

My guess is the "old" Pentium CPU I had was not a 533 but a 400 2.4...
Fernando Caballero

"Fernando Caballero" <cabfam4@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I purchased a new Abit motherboard VI7 and used an older Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
> 533 FSB and the thing doesn't post. The beeps work and the video card
shows
> up but the whole thing stops at a PENTIUM 4 screen and I cannot go any
> further than that.
> Is my CPU fried? I did overclock for a long time before I took it out of
an
> earlier motherboard.
> I suspect that the CPU is toast but I have never seen this screen before.
> don't get to the BIOS at all.

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Fernando Caballero wrote:
> Never mind. The following is what I found when I went to the Abit
> site:
>
> Why couldn't VI7 motherboard boot up? Doesn't it support the old 400
> FSB P4 processors?
>
> The VI7 follows Intel's recommendation to use new power design VRD10
> for VIA PT800 boards. According to the design guidelines, the CPU
> core voltage from
> 0.8375 to 1.6000 V. If an old 400 FSB P4 or Celeron processor with
> CPU core voltage 1.75V installed to VI7 board, the board could not
> provide such high core voltage and the CPU will malfunction. That's
> why Willamette and old Celeron processors are incompatible with VIA
> PT800 boards. The 400 FSB processors which could work on VI7 board
> are Northwood P4 (512K L2) and Celeron 2G (128K L2, 1.525/1.530 V)
> and faster CPUs.
>
> My guess is the "old" Pentium CPU I had was not a 533 but a 400 2.4...

Doesnt matter, All P4 2.4's were Northwoods, and hence had a core voltage
below 1.6 Volts...

You did of course reset the BIOS to defaults, using the Clear CMOS jumper?

Thomas

You did of course reset the BIOS to defaults, using the Clear CMOS jumper?

I did reset the the BIOS to defaults but I continue to get the Pentium 4
screen and did not allow me to even get to the BIOS at all.

"Thomas" <thomas_@lycos.nl> wrote in message
> Fernando Caballero wrote:
> > Never mind. The following is what I found when I went to the Abit
> > site:
> >
> > Why couldn't VI7 motherboard boot up? Doesn't it support the old 400
> > FSB P4 processors?
> >
> > The VI7 follows Intel's recommendation to use new power design VRD10
> > for VIA PT800 boards. According to the design guidelines, the CPU
> > core voltage from
> > 0.8375 to 1.6000 V. If an old 400 FSB P4 or Celeron processor with
> > CPU core voltage 1.75V installed to VI7 board, the board could not
> > provide such high core voltage and the CPU will malfunction. That's
> > why Willamette and old Celeron processors are incompatible with VIA
> > PT800 boards. The 400 FSB processors which could work on VI7 board
> > are Northwood P4 (512K L2) and Celeron 2G (128K L2, 1.525/1.530 V)
> > and faster CPUs.
> >
> > My guess is the "old" Pentium CPU I had was not a 533 but a 400 2.4...
>
> Doesnt matter, All P4 2.4's were Northwoods, and hence had a core voltage
> below 1.6 Volts...
>
> You did of course reset the BIOS to defaults, using the Clear CMOS jumper?
>
> Thomas

I also noticed that if I place the BIOS jumper to the Clear position the
computer will not start up at all. The motherboard light goes on, but the
computer will not even give me the "Intel Inside" Pentium 4 screen at all.

I guess I will have to double chack against another CPU...

Fernando

Fernando Caballero wrote:

> I also noticed that if I place the BIOS jumper to the Clear position the
> computer will not start up at all. The motherboard light goes on, but the
> computer will not even give me the "Intel Inside" Pentium 4 screen at all.

Yes, well, I'm not aware of any mobo that *will* boot up with the CMOS
jumper on clear.

'Clear' is a temporary position, like for 10 seconds with the power cord
unplugged (or the rear PSU switch turned off) and then you move it back to
normal.

> I guess I will have to double chack against another CPU...
>
> Fernando
>

> "Thomas" <thomas_@lycos.nl> wrote in message
>
>>Fernando Caballero wrote:
>>
>>>Never mind. The following is what I found when I went to the Abit
>>>site:
>>>
>>>Why couldn't VI7 motherboard boot up? Doesn't it support the old 400
>>>FSB P4 processors?
>>>
>>>The VI7 follows Intel's recommendation to use new power design VRD10
>>>for VIA PT800 boards. According to the design guidelines, the CPU
>>>core voltage from
>>>0.8375 to 1.6000 V. If an old 400 FSB P4 or Celeron processor with
>>>CPU core voltage 1.75V installed to VI7 board, the board could not
>>>provide such high core voltage and the CPU will malfunction. That's
>>>why Willamette and old Celeron processors are incompatible with VIA
>>>PT800 boards. The 400 FSB processors which could work on VI7 board
>>>are Northwood P4 (512K L2) and Celeron 2G (128K L2, 1.525/1.530 V)
>>>and faster CPUs.
>>>
>>>My guess is the "old" Pentium CPU I had was not a 533 but a 400 2.4...
>>
>>Doesnt matter, All P4 2.4's were Northwoods, and hence had a core voltage
>>below 1.6 Volts...
>>
>>You did of course reset the BIOS to defaults, using the Clear CMOS jumper?
>>
>>Thomas

Thanks for the clarification... I still think the large Pentium 4 with the
words Intel Inside show up before the Bios has even a chance to post and ask
me if I want to press DEL to Enter. The vide card shows up and before the
BIOS has a chance to kick in the Pentium 4 screen comes up and locks up. I
have other pentium chip computers and I have never seen this screen
before...

Fernando Caballero

Fernando Caballero wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification... I still think the large Pentium 4 with the
> words Intel Inside show up before the Bios has even a chance to post and ask
> me if I want to press DEL to Enter. The vide card shows up and before the
> BIOS has a chance to kick in the Pentium 4 screen comes up and locks up. I
> have other pentium chip computers and I have never seen this screen
> before...

I can't help much there as I'm not familiar with that board. Although I
noticed from the text below there is some confusion about which P4 it is?

Dern 2.4 Gig P4 comes in just about every 'flavor' there is, from 400 Mhz
FSB Northwood, to 533, 800, and Prescott 533. Are you sure you have a
proper BIOS update for, and that the board supports, the version you're
trying to run on it?

> Fernando Caballero
>

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>Fernando Caballero wrote:
>>

>>>I also noticed that if I place the BIOS jumper to the Clear position the
>>>computer will not start up at all. The motherboard light goes on, but
>
> the
>
>>>computer will not even give me the "Intel Inside" Pentium 4 screen at
>
> all.
>
>>Yes, well, I'm not aware of any mobo that *will* boot up with the CMOS
>>jumper on clear.
>>
>>'Clear' is a temporary position, like for 10 seconds with the power cord
>>unplugged (or the rear PSU switch turned off) and then you move it back to
>>normal.
>>

>>>I guess I will have to double chack against another CPU...
>>>
>>>Fernando
>>>

>>>"Thomas" <thomas_@lycos.nl> wrote in message

> voltage

> jumper?

I'm gonna throw out a wild idea that caught me of gaurd once,

Is the P4 power supply plug plugged in to the mobo?

That Molex thats not a Molex, a Square one...

> You did of course reset the BIOS to defaults, using the Clear CMOS jumper?
>
> I did reset the the BIOS to defaults but I continue to get the Pentium 4
> screen and did not allow me to even get to the BIOS at all.
>

> "Thomas" <thomas_@lycos.nl> wrote in message
> > Fernando Caballero wrote:
> > > Never mind. The following is what I found when I went to the Abit
> > > site:
> > >
> > > Why couldn't VI7 motherboard boot up? Doesn't it support the old 400
> > > FSB P4 processors?
> > >
> > > The VI7 follows Intel's recommendation to use new power design VRD10
> > > for VIA PT800 boards. According to the design guidelines, the CPU
> > > core voltage from
> > > 0.8375 to 1.6000 V. If an old 400 FSB P4 or Celeron processor with
> > > CPU core voltage 1.75V installed to VI7 board, the board could not
> > > provide such high core voltage and the CPU will malfunction. That's
> > > why Willamette and old Celeron processors are incompatible with VIA
> > > PT800 boards. The 400 FSB processors which could work on VI7 board
> > > are Northwood P4 (512K L2) and Celeron 2G (128K L2, 1.525/1.530 V)
> > > and faster CPUs.
> > >
> > > My guess is the "old" Pentium CPU I had was not a 533 but a 400 2.4...
> >
> > Doesnt matter, All P4 2.4's were Northwoods, and hence had a core
voltage
> > below 1.6 Volts...
> >
> > You did of course reset the BIOS to defaults, using the Clear CMOS
jumper?

> > Thomas

I went ahead and verified that the "square" one was placed correctly and it
was. I still get the Pentium 4 screen though.
I wish I had another CPU to check my old one... I'll have to buy another
CPU.

Fernando

Charlie Fox wrote:

> I'm gonna throw out a wild idea that caught me of gaurd once,
>
> Is the P4 power supply plug plugged in to the mobo?
>
> That Molex thats not a Molex, a Square one...

Molex isn't a connector type, it's a company/brand name.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:58:19 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Charlie Fox wrote:
>
>> I'm gonna throw out a wild idea that caught me of gaurd once,
>>
>> Is the P4 power supply plug plugged in to the mobo?
>>
>> That Molex thats not a Molex, a Square one...
>
>Molex isn't a connector type, it's a company/brand name.

Tell that to Kleenex and Xerox.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Michael Cecil wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:58:19 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Charlie Fox wrote:
>>

>>>I'm gonna throw out a wild idea that caught me of gaurd once,
>>>
>>>Is the P4 power supply plug plugged in to the mobo?
>>>
>>>That Molex thats not a Molex, a Square one...
>>
>>Molex isn't a connector type, it's a company/brand name.
>

> Tell that to Kleenex and Xerox.

They will both tell you that their trademarks are theirs and not 'generic'
words. Nor will you find Scott selling 'Kleenex', they sell Scott Tissues,
nor IBM selling 'Xerox Machines', they sell IBM copiers.

Beyond that, the idea that only the 4 pin hard drive connectors are 'molex'
(sic) is also incorrect. That's only one configuration out of a whole
gaggle in the same family of connectors made by Molex, along with a number
of other manufacturers, and it was really this aspect that I meant, more
than the other, when I pointed out it isn't a connector type.

Go to an auto supply store and ask for a 'molex': You won't end up with a 4
pin hard drive connector and there's so dern many types they'll ask you
which 'molex' you're looking for, and perhaps tell you that saying 'molex'
is not quite right.

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:00:10 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>Michael Cecil wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:58:19 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
>> wrote:

>>>Molex isn't a connector type, it's a company/brand name.
>>

>> Tell that to Kleenex and Xerox.
>>

>They will both tell you that their trademarks are theirs and not 'generic'
>words. Nor will you find Scott selling 'Kleenex', they sell Scott Tissues,
>nor IBM selling 'Xerox Machines', they sell IBM copiers.
>
>Beyond that, the idea that only the 4 pin hard drive connectors are 'molex'
>(sic) is also incorrect. That's only one configuration out of a whole
>gaggle in the same family of connectors made by Molex, along with a number
>of other manufacturers, and it was really this aspect that I meant, more
>than the other, when I pointed out it isn't a connector type.
>
>Go to an auto supply store and ask for a 'molex': You won't end up with a 4
>pin hard drive connector and there's so dern many types they'll ask you
>which 'molex' you're looking for, and perhaps tell you that saying 'molex'
>is not quite right.

Don't tell me, I agree with you in principle. However in computer geek
circles the term molex has come to mean that kind of 4pin connector. It's
been like that for at least a decade. Too late to complain now. You
might as well complain about how the media has changed the meaning of
"hacker".

--

Michael Cecil wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:00:10 -0500, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Michael Cecil wrote:

>>>Tell that to Kleenex and Xerox.
>>>

>>They will both tell you that their trademarks are theirs and not 'generic'
>>words. Nor will you find Scott selling 'Kleenex', they sell Scott Tissues,
>>nor IBM selling 'Xerox Machines', they sell IBM copiers.
>>
>>Beyond that, the idea that only the 4 pin hard drive connectors are 'molex'
>>(sic) is also incorrect. That's only one configuration out of a whole
>>gaggle in the same family of connectors made by Molex, along with a number
>>of other manufacturers, and it was really this aspect that I meant, more
>>than the other, when I pointed out it isn't a connector type.
>>
>>Go to an auto supply store and ask for a 'molex': You won't end up with a 4
>>pin hard drive connector and there's so dern many types they'll ask you
>>which 'molex' you're looking for, and perhaps tell you that saying 'molex'
>>is not quite right.
>

> Don't tell me, I agree with you in principle. However in computer geek
> circles the term molex has come to mean that kind of 4pin connector. It's
> been like that for at least a decade. Too late to complain now. You
> might as well complain about how the media has changed the meaning of
> "hacker".

I'm not complaining. I'm just informing ;)

I can't help much there as I'm not familiar with that board. Although I
noticed from the text below there is some confusion about which P4 it is?

Dern 2.4 Gig P4 comes in just about every 'flavor' there is, from 400 Mhz
FSB Northwood, to 533, 800, and Prescott 533. Are you sure you have a
proper BIOS update for, and that the board supports, the version you're
trying to run on it?

Thanks for the the help in trying to provide some guidance here... The
bottom line is that I am not able to reach the BIOS screen where I press DEL
button to reach the BIOS upgrade information currently residing there. It
freezes everything at this "Intel Inside" Pentium 4 dcreen I have never seen
before. I don't believe I could updrade any BIOS if I tried. So this leaves
me with two options:
1) The 2.4 Pentium CPU I took from my old motherboard (that I thought was
good) is not compatible with this brand new Abit VI7 board OR
2) My 2.4 Pentium CPU is fried.

I have been putting motherboards and overclocking them for a while ( I know
my posts are lame and they might not reflect that...) but I have never seen
this Intel Inside screen before...

Fernando Caballero