Question on WEP and Linksys WRE54G Range Extender??

I have 2 questions for you kind people.

I can enable WEP on my Linksys WRT54GS and it generates keys for me.

1. I assume that key 1 is the key I would use and enter the Hex string
into any visitors laptop, correct?

2. I can not use my PC (Windows XP) to get to the wireless router with
192.168.1.240 . I cannot even ping it. I did a reset on it and
autocinfig with the button on the side...still cannot ping it.

If I disable WEP on the WRTreGS router, then it all works fine.

What am I doing wrong? Or perhaps should I do the range extender first
(enable wep)?

Thanks, Patty

The problem is with an IBOOK G4 not being able to work with the
Linksys. Perhaps it needs a firmware and software upgrade from Apple.
It does not accept a WPA or WEP password stating that it does not
recognize encryption.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Patty