Will AGP 2x card on a AGP 4/8X mb bring processor speed do..

Hi guys

I have a MSI KT4AV-L SKT A 8X AGP DDR/Sound/lAN/USB2.0 Motherboard
with AMD Athlon XP2400 266 FSB 256 Cache Thoroughbred, but the video
card is a nvidia riva tnt2 agp2x. Now no matter what I do with
bios/fsb etc it will only recognize it as Athlon 1800+ at 1500mhz
clock speed.

Is there a way to make the blighter see the processor for what it's
worth or do I need to get a newer vidcard.

It is a system I put together with all the leftovers etc when I bought
amd64.

Also the FSB doesnot go beyond 100mhz and if I increase it the system
won't start even till bios. Ending up taking out cmos battery/poweroff
and restart :-(

Any help in getting the thing to recognize the faster processor with
2x agp card!

Thanks alot
sreekant

Sreekant wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I have a MSI KT4AV-L SKT A 8X AGP DDR/Sound/lAN/USB2.0 Motherboard
> with AMD Athlon XP2400 266 FSB 256 Cache Thoroughbred, but the video
> card is a nvidia riva tnt2 agp2x. Now no matter what I do with
> bios/fsb etc it will only recognize it as Athlon 1800+ at 1500mhz
> clock speed.
>
> Is there a way to make the blighter see the processor for what it's
> worth or do I need to get a newer vidcard.

The video card has absolutely nothing to do with processor speed although,
I must admit, I don't know how you got a 3.3v 2x card to work in a 1.5V
8x/4x AGP slot, or even plug it in.

It must actually be 2x/4x, or at least dual voltage.

Or you're dern lucky it hasn't damaged anything and should get it the heck
out of there as soon as possible.

"Sreekant" <skodela@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a MSI KT4AV-L SKT A 8X AGP DDR/Sound/lAN/USB2.0 Motherboard
> with AMD Athlon XP2400 266 FSB 256 Cache Thoroughbred, but the video
> card is a nvidia riva tnt2 agp2x. Now no matter what I do with
> bios/fsb etc it will only recognize it as Athlon 1800+ at 1500mhz
> clock speed.
>
> Is there a way to make the blighter see the processor for what it's
> worth or do I need to get a newer vidcard.
>
> It is a system I put together with all the leftovers etc when I bought
> amd64.
>
> Also the FSB doesnot go beyond 100mhz and if I increase it the system
> won't start even till bios. Ending up taking out cmos battery/poweroff
> and restart :-(
>
> Any help in getting the thing to recognize the faster processor with
> 2x agp card!

Seems more likely the problem is it's running at 100MHz FSB instead of
133MHz FSB...

(ie. a 2400+ should be running at 15x133.3 for 2.0GHz rather than 15x100 for
1.5GHz.)

See if there is a newer bios for the mobo.

>> Is there a way to make the blighter see the processor for what it's
>> worth or do I need to get a newer vidcard.

Thanks all. I will give it a try.

sreekant

> Seems more likely the problem is it's running at 100MHz FSB instead of
> 133MHz FSB...
>
> (ie. a 2400+ should be running at 15x133.3 for 2.0GHz rather than 15x100 for
> 1.5GHz.)

Thanks. I changed the FSB to 133 and it runs perfectly at 2400+ !

I still can't understand why it wouldn't accept when I used the
combinations of
9.5x200FSB, 9x200, 10x166 etc. In theory the board supports 266FSB and
memory is 333 PC2700 and CPU should then accept increments of FSB from
100 onwards. Yes I even tried 1mhz increments!!!

Anyway all is well ...

Thanks
sreekant

Sreekant wrote:
>>Seems more likely the problem is it's running at 100MHz FSB instead of
>>133MHz FSB...
>>
>>(ie. a 2400+ should be running at 15x133.3 for 2.0GHz rather than 15x100 for
>>1.5GHz.)
>

> Thanks. I changed the FSB to 133 and it runs perfectly at 2400+ !
>
> I still can't understand why it wouldn't accept when I used the
> combinations of
> 9.5x200FSB, 9x200, 10x166 etc.

Because it's multiplier locked, for one, and those FSBs are higher that the
processor supports.

> In theory the board supports 266FSB and
> memory is 333 PC2700 and CPU should then accept increments of FSB from
> 100 onwards. Yes I even tried 1mhz increments!!!
>
> Anyway all is well ...
>
> Thanks
> sreekant

> > I still can't understand why it wouldn't accept when I used the
> Because it's multiplier locked, for one, and those FSBs are higher that the
> processor supports.

RTFM would have helped :-(

Anyway thanks all. The system is working well except the temp at 67
degrees which is worrying. Now where is that white paste!!!

Ta
sreekant