HOW LONG BEFORE PROGS ARE WIPED ?

August 1, 2004 12:15:40 AM

Thanks to the changer dieing on me just now I'm unable obviously to change
my PDA so how long do I have before all progs etc I've installed are lost ?

More about : long progs wiped

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 12:15:41 AM

Not terribly long. Depending on the model, could be a day or two, could be
over a week if you don't turn it on at all. Depending on what you have, you
might be able to get a charger at Radio Shack, or at places like CompUSA or
Circuit City. I'll bet you are looking for 5V at 1-2 Amps. Not uncommon,
just need to match the connector.

If you can still connect to the PC, you could get a full backup done, which
would save a lot of time if you do run out of juice. If you have a built in
backup that works to a flash card that would be a good idea too.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"PDA Fan" <no_one@home.here> wrote in message
> Thanks to the changer dieing on me just now I'm unable obviously to change
> my PDA so how long do I have before all progs etc I've installed are lost
?

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 12:15:41 AM

This depends. What PPC do you have? any extended battery inserted?
any expansion packs or memory cards inserted, do you use
WLAN/Bluetooth/iRDA and do you still use this at present?

You can save power by turning off all unneccesary things such
as the backlight, any wireless radio's and remove any (if any)
expansion packs, and if possible make a full backup to a storage
card and take this out of the device, and then put it in standby.

With everything turned off you might be able to survive a few
days without charging if the battery is full.

Do you have any other kind of charger or charger cable available?
if your device is an iPAQ, you can use the sync cable/cradle and
charge your device through USB with Fast Charging enabled in
Start|Settings|Power

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

Approximately 30 min on the backup battery

"PDA Fan" <no_one@home.here> wrote in message
> Thanks to the changer dieing on me just now I'm unable obviously to change
> my PDA so how long do I have before all progs etc I've installed are lost
> ?

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:04:14 AM

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not terribly long. Depending on the model, could be a day or two, could be
> over a week if you don't turn it on at all. Depending on what you have,
you
> might be able to get a charger at Radio Shack, or at places like CompUSA
or
> Circuit City. I'll bet you are looking for 5V at 1-2 Amps. Not uncommon,
> just need to match the connector.
>
> If you can still connect to the PC, you could get a full backup done,
which
> would save a lot of time if you do run out of juice. If you have a built
in
> backup that works to a flash card that would be a good idea too.

I'm in the UK btw! anyway I can buy a hot sync cable tomorrow from maplin
for a rip off price of £20 but that's too bad. battery is flat so hopefully
a day or so should be ok before I loose data - It's an Ipaq 1940
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:28:17 AM

"CopperTrail" <wooch06@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Approximately 30 min on the backup battery

What do you mean the backup battery ?
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:28:18 AM

The built-in backup battery, which keeps RAM powered when the
main battery is depleted or removed. Typically these batteries
only last for a period between 10 and 30 minutes before they
are drained and RAM loses it's contents.

~S.

"PDA Fan" <no_one@home.here> wrote in news:emQruzzdEHA.3988
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> What do you mean the backup battery ?

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
August 1, 2004 2:08:05 AM

I got a cable that connects to the USB and direct to the PDA that
charges it, its for a 3970 if it will work on yours and you want to
cover the P&P I can post it Monday special delivery and you would get
it Tuesday if thats any help mate
--

E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
August 1, 2004 2:08:12 AM

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The built-in backup battery, which keeps RAM powered when the
> main battery is depleted or removed. Typically these batteries
> only last for a period between 10 and 30 minutes before they
> are drained and RAM loses it's contents.

How I've had mine with a flat battery for at least a week then and found
when I plug in the charger all progs are still installed etc ?
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:08:13 AM

There are powersave settings in Start|Settings|Power
where you can reserve part of the main battery power to be used
as 'standby power', when allocated this part of battery power
can't be used by the user himself, but is utilized by the PPC
to maintain itself for long periods of time when it is turned off.
My own 5550 can reserve up to 72 hours of standby time, add to
that the power in the backup battery and I can leave my PPC for
a handful of days also without recharging it, it will live off
of the reserved power and when this runs out, the backup battery
is used to keep RAM. when that goes as well.. hard reset.
So it's quite possible it can be a few days longer than one
would expect from a run down battery, but I would never count on it.

~S.

"____" <noone@home.here> wrote in news:410c24b2@news.greennet.net:

> How I've had mine with a flat battery for at least a week then and found
> when I plug in the charger all progs are still installed etc ?

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:12:51 AM

"BORG" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> I got a cable that connects to the USB and direct to the PDA that
> charges it, its for a 3970 if it will work on yours and you want to
> cover the P&P I can post it Monday special delivery and you would get
> it Tuesday if thats any help mate
> --
Thanks that's a very kind offer but mine is a 1940, I would have ordered one
from simply but they don't have the correct one though I thought all the HP
pda's have the same socket.. obviously not!
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 2:12:52 AM

There are essentially two iPAQ connectors, the 3600/3700 and everything
else. At least up to now. Haven't seen the new ones. The 1940 series was
only odd in that the connector was backwards to the rest, making some thing
like 3800/3900/550 etc. keyboards impossible to use.

--

> "BORG" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> > I got a cable that connects to the USB and direct to the PDA that
> > charges it, its for a 3970 if it will work on yours and you want to
> > cover the P&P I can post it Monday special delivery and you would get
> > it Tuesday if thats any help mate
> > --
> Thanks that's a very kind offer but mine is a 1940, I would have ordered
one
> from simply but they don't have the correct one though I thought all the
HP
> pda's have the same socket.. obviously not!

August 1, 2004 2:20:53 AM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 22:12:51 +0100, "PDA Fan" <no_one@home.here>
wrote:

>"BORG" <borg@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> I got a cable that connects to the USB and direct to the PDA that
>> charges it, its for a 3970 if it will work on yours and you want to
>> cover the P&P I can post it Monday special delivery and you would get
>> it Tuesday if thats any help mate
>> --
>Thanks that's a very kind offer but mine is a 1940, I would have ordered one
>from simply but they don't have the correct one though I thought all the HP
>pda's have the same socket.. obviously not!

Multi voltage charger from Currys tomorrow and change the end to the
one of the broken charger maybe then
--

E-Mail Addy obet(ng)qfy(qbg)cvcrk(qbg)pbz <---Rot13 it
watch out for spam trap in header

Free Phone Unlocking http://unlockme.co.uk

10p a Picture Message/MMS http://www.mmsit.co.uk/

http://www.davessite.co.uk Trike Power the TRUE Trinity
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 8:27:17 PM

Where can I find the option of usb charge in Ipaq h2215? I dont see it in
mine

Thanks

> This depends. What PPC do you have? any extended battery inserted?
> any expansion packs or memory cards inserted, do you use
> WLAN/Bluetooth/iRDA and do you still use this at present?
>
> You can save power by turning off all unneccesary things such
> as the backlight, any wireless radio's and remove any (if any)
> expansion packs, and if possible make a full backup to a storage
> card and take this out of the device, and then put it in standby.
>
> With everything turned off you might be able to survive a few
> days without charging if the battery is full.
>
> Do you have any other kind of charger or charger cable available?
> if your device is an iPAQ, you can use the sync cable/cradle and
> charge your device through USB with Fast Charging enabled in
> Start|Settings|Power
>

> ~S.
>

> "PDA Fan" <no_one@home.here> wrote in
>
> > Thanks to the changer dieing on me just now I'm unable obviously to
> > change my PDA so how long do I have before all progs etc I've installed
> > are lost ?
> >

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 8:27:18 PM

I wronly assumed that USB charging is available on all iPAQ models
and it may be that yours does not have that capability..
But for mine it is hidden under:
Start|Settings|[tab]System|[icon]Power|[tab]USB Charging

~S.

--
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

The 5500 series is about the only one that does have it actually.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!