FSB raise and network card /switch

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

Hello to all,

About 3 weeks ago I raised the FSB-speed from my AMD 1800+ on a MSI K7T
raid-turbo mobo from 133 to 135 up to 140 and it looked like I had no
problems at all......
Well the system worked fine and my Battlefield1942 game started faster and
no instabillity of the Xp.

So far so good.....

But the last weeks I have some strange connection problem's with the local
WiFi network. Some users have, now and then, problems to connect to the
ADSL modem that can be accesed by a switch. I am directly plugged into
that switch and 8 others by a accesspoint(wifi). When the connection
problems occur I have to power-off/on the switch to get it all working. I
can also choose to power-off/on the modem the result is the same. Some
users can work others cannot.

For more than halve a year it was working fine until... yes I raised my
FSB???(not shure about same week or so).

Questions:
Is it possible that even the smallest FSB raise can generate this kind of
problems with a Network-Interface-Card ?????
in his turn, can create problems in the switch??
If so, is there a manufacturer that is not so "sensitive" in raising FSB??

Any sugestions??

Bonobo
--
DutchDareDevil

> Is it possible that even the smallest FSB raise can generate this kind
> of problems with a Network-Interface-Card ?????

Yes. If the PCI bus is not locked at 100/3 MHz, then the frequency of
the signals sent to the bus will also increase. This will screw up most,
if not all PCI cards (as they do not benefit from overclocking).

This may sound a bit patronising (best to be thorough...), but have you
tried removing your overclock and seeing if the problems still remain?

> in his turn, can create problems in the switch??

Yes. Your network card might rely on the PCI frequency for timing, in
which case it might send out packets at the wrong time. This could cause
collisions and so halt the network (at least on your end).

That said, it could be that your switch is on the blink. Does anyone
else that is connected to your switch have these problems? Do they still
have them if you disconnect your computer. If not, then your cable might
be faulty (letting in interference) - try swapping it for a new (or
known good) one.

> If so, is there a manufacturer that is not so "sensitive" in raising FSB??

That, I don't know about. Your card could have chips that are barely in
tolerances and the slight frequency jump was enough to push them over
the edge (just simple bad luck). Or your manufacturer could be using
parts at the bottom end of the stability spectrum in order to make
cheaper cards.

I might test this on an old Pentium that I have - give it a 3Com
3C905-TX card (very nice - one of the best ethernet cards around) and
raise the PCI bus frequency (if I can).

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

Hi BananaOfTheNight, it's you again

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:31:56 +0100, BananaOfTheNight
<bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote:

>> Is it possible that even the smallest FSB raise can generate this kind
>> of problems with a Network-Interface-Card ?????
>
> Yes. If the PCI bus is not locked at 100/3 MHz, then the frequency of
> the signals sent to the bus will also increase. This will screw up most,
> if not all PCI cards (as they do not benefit from overclocking).

No I don't think its locked at 133 and I thought "what a heck it's only a
few %..."

> This may sound a bit patronising (best to be thorough...),

Not at all !!

> but have you tried removing your overclock and seeing if the problems
> still remain?

Tried now for 3 days without OC and it seems like the "problems" are gone
(hmmm mixed feelings..)

>> in his turn, can create problems in the switch??
>
> Yes. Your network card might rely on the PCI frequency for timing, in
> which case it might send out packets at the wrong time. This could cause
> collisions and so halt the network (at least on your end).

Good point....

> That said, it could be that your switch is on the blink. Does anyone
> else that is connected to your switch have these problems?

randomly YES

> Do they still have them if you disconnect your computer. If not, then
> your cable might be faulty (letting in interference) - try swapping it
> for a new (or known good) one.
>
>> If so, is there a manufacturer that is not so "sensitive" in raising
>> FSB??
>
> That, I don't know about. Your card could have chips that are barely in
> tolerances and the slight frequency jump was enough to push them over
> the edge (just simple bad luck). Or your manufacturer could be using
> parts at the bottom end of the stability spectrum in order to make
> cheaper cards.
>
> I might test this on an old Pentium that I have - give it a 3Com
> 3C905-TX card (very nice - one of the best ethernet cards around) and
> raise the PCI bus frequency (if I can).

YES YES !! torture that 3Com and get all the information out of it!!
Ask it about the RTL8139D /2C052Q1 made in Taiwan family clan and why
that clan won't work even a few more Mhz faster.

Thanks again from Bonobo !!

--
DutchDareDevil

"Bonobo" <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:eek:psfpxg8dzabsjsi@h-l.lan...
> Hi BananaOfTheNight, it's you again
>
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 14:31:56 +0100, BananaOfTheNight
> <bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote:
>
>>> Is it possible that even the smallest FSB raise can generate this kind
>>> of problems with a Network-Interface-Card ?????
>>
>> Yes. If the PCI bus is not locked at 100/3 MHz, then the frequency of
>> the signals sent to the bus will also increase. This will screw up most,
>> if not all PCI cards (as they do not benefit from overclocking).
>
> No I don't think its locked at 133 and I thought "what a heck it's only a
> few %..."

thats 100 / 3 (33MHz) not 133MHz. If you got that high things whould be
getting pretty screwed.

hamman

> Hi BananaOfTheNight, it's you again

Yep. I'm like a bad smell - I tend to linger.

> Tried now for 3 days without OC and it seems like the "problems" are
> gone (hmmm mixed feelings..)

>> That said, it could be that your switch is on the blink. Does anyone
>> else that is connected to your switch have these problems?
>
> randomly YES

It seems like the problem might have been caused by the anomalous
frequency of your network card - it could have been pissing off the
switch. I think that you ought to investigate the switch - if you can
(try replacing it with a new one, but only if you can borrow another -
as it might give no results and there is no point in wasting money)

> YES YES !! torture that 3Com and get all the information out of it!!
> Ask it about the RTL8139D /2C052Q1 made in Taiwan family clan and why
> that clan won't work even a few more Mhz faster.

I..er....can't. The Pentium that I was going to stress it in doesn't let
me adjust the FSB speed in the BIOS, and I don't have the manual for the
motherboard to tell me what the jumpers mean. The PC that I am writing
this on won't give me the fine tuning I want - the only settings for the
PCI bus go up in increments of 12 MHz (33-->45-->???).

A quick google on that part number gave me this interesting results from
Realtek's web page:

--Supports PCI clock 16.75MHz-40MHz

(note by me - this seems like quite an overclocker's network card)

--Supports 25MHz crystal or 25MHz OSC as the internal clock source. The
frequency deviation of either crystal or OSC must be within 50 PPM

These two seem to indicate that your card doesn't care about the PCI bus
frequency and so will not send its packets out at the wrong time due to
inaccurate estimation

--Supports a 32-bit general-purpose timer with the external PCI clock as
clock source, to generate timer-interrupt

This is one part where it may slip up - but this would happen only in
your PC as it interrupts too fast?

My diagnosis - your switch is FUBAR (well, not quite BAR, but definetly
on the blink)

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:02:08 +0100, Hamman <none@example.com> wrote:

> "Bonobo" <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>> Hi BananaOfTheNight, it's you again

>>> Yes. If the PCI bus is not locked at 100/3 MHz, then the frequency of
>>> the signals sent to the bus will also increase. This will screw up
>>> most,
>>> if not all PCI cards (as they do not benefit from overclocking).
>>
>> No I don't think its locked at 133 and I thought "what a heck it's only
>> few %..."
>>

> thats 100 / 3 (33MHz) not 133MHz. If you got that high things whould be
> getting pretty screwed.

sorry sorry sorry.....

sorry

Stupid monkey thought that PCI was running on FSB bus speed, that I raised
from 133 to 140.
The only thing I can find in my (MSI K7T Turbo MS-6330 mobo) manual is:

CPU Host Bus Frequency Clock (100Mhz) ???
and a jumper to switch from 100Mhz to 133Mhz FSB
In the Bios, I can raise the "clock by slight adjust - by 1 Mhz"

Can you give me some options to, for OC the system??

Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:45:42 +0100, BananaOfTheNight
<bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote:

>> Hi BananaOfTheNight, it's you again
>
> Yep. I'm like a bad smell - I tend to linger.
>
>> Tried now for 3 days without OC and it seems like the "problems" are
>> gone (hmmm mixed feelings..)
>
>>> That said, it could be that your switch is on the blink. Does anyone
>>> else that is connected to your switch have these problems?
>> randomly YES
>
> It seems like the problem might have been caused by the anomalous
> frequency of your network card - it could have been pissing off the
> switch. I think that you ought to investigate the switch - if you can
> (try replacing it with a new one, but only if you can borrow another -
> as it might give no results and there is no point in wasting money)

I will try to "borrow" another but it will be a same type/model

>> YES YES !! torture that 3Com and get all the information out of it!!
>> Ask it about the RTL8139D /2C052Q1 made in Taiwan family clan and
>> why that clan won't work even a few more Mhz faster.
>
> I..er....can't. The Pentium that I was going to stress it in doesn't let
> me adjust the FSB speed in the BIOS, and I don't have the manual for the
> motherboard to tell me what the jumpers mean. The PC that I am writing
> this on won't give me the fine tuning I want - the only settings for the
> PCI bus go up in increments of 12 MHz (33-->45-->???).

From another replyer "Hamman" I understood that I mixed FSB with PCI speed.
I thougt that PCI is running on FSB speed but now I understand there bust
be ANOTHER devider on the mobo that creates the PCI bus speed
seperatly.....
In my MSI K7T-Turbo-raid MS-6330 I can't find where or how it's done....
(if it can be done manually)
Where or how can I check the PCI bus speed??
CPU-Z program gives: core speed 1527.2 multiplier x11.5 FSB
132.8 Busspeed 265.6

> A quick google on that part number gave me this interesting results from
> Realtek's web page:
>
> --Supports PCI clock 16.75MHz-40MHz
>
> (note by me - this seems like quite an overclocker's network card)
>
> --Supports 25MHz crystal or 25MHz OSC as the internal clock source. The
> frequency deviation of either crystal or OSC must be within 50 PPM
>
> These two seem to indicate that your card doesn't care about the PCI bus
> frequency and so will not send its packets out at the wrong time due to
> inaccurate estimation
>
> --Supports a 32-bit general-purpose timer with the external PCI clock as
> clock source, to generate timer-interrupt
>
> This is one part where it may slip up - but this would happen only in
> your PC as it interrupts too fast?

A lot of technical information that I just can understand, thanks for the
effort to help me!!

> My diagnosis - your switch is FUBAR (well, not quite BAR, but definetly
> on the blink)

I will try to swap this switch with a same type in a few days (end of the
week I think) and raise FSB again to 140 and see what happens.
BTW the switch I use is a :

E-Tech 5-NWay ports (1 uplink port??) 10/100Mbps 256kb buffer
p/n: 18-QH-H500-FH

Can you tell me the differance between a "uplink"port and a normal?? the
ADSL modem is connected to the uplink....

Regards Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

> I will try to "borrow" another but it will be a same type/model

Excellent. Keeping your switch brand and model constant will help limit
the variables.

> From another replyer "Hamman" I understood that I mixed FSB with PCI
> speed.
> I thougt that PCI is running on FSB speed but now I understand there
> bust be ANOTHER devider on the mobo that creates the PCI bus speed
> seperatly.....
> In my MSI K7T-Turbo-raid MS-6330 I can't find where or how it's
> done.... (if it can be done manually)
> Where or how can I check the PCI bus speed??
> CPU-Z program gives: core speed 1527.2 multiplier x11.5 FSB
> 132.8 Busspeed 265.6

The PCI speed is usually set as a multiplier of the FSB - in the case of
a 133 MHz FSB, the PCI speed will be 1/4 of the FSB. I found the manual
for your motherboard online and I can't see anything in the BIOS
settings or in the jumper combinations that would let you change the PCI
multiplier or speed. I believe that it is fixed with respect to the
jumper that tells about the CPU's FSB - see page 2-3 of your manual (I
think).

I don't know of any program that would tell you the PCI bus speed.

> Can you tell me the differance between a "uplink"port and a normal??
> the ADSL modem is connected to the uplink....

I believe that an 'uplink' port on a switch is for connecting to another
router or switch. Since an ADSL modem is technically a router (it routs
ADSL traffic to the network...), then it is probably good to put it there.

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:14:11 +0100, BananaOfTheNight
<bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote:

>> I will try to "borrow" another but it will be a same type/model
>
> Excellent. Keeping your switch brand and model constant will help limit
> the variables.
>
>> From another replyer "Hamman" I understood that I mixed FSB with PCI
>> speed.
>> I thougt that PCI is running on FSB speed but now I understand there
>> bust be ANOTHER devider on the mobo that creates the PCI bus speed
>> seperatly.....
>> In my MSI K7T-Turbo-raid MS-6330 I can't find where or how it's
>> done.... (if it can be done manually)
>> Where or how can I check the PCI bus speed??
>> CPU-Z program gives: core speed 1527.2 multiplier x11.5 FSB
>> 132.8 Busspeed 265.6
>
> The PCI speed is usually set as a multiplier of the FSB - in the case of
> a 133 MHz FSB, the PCI speed will be 1/4 of the FSB. I found the manual
> for your motherboard online and I can't see anything in the BIOS
> settings or in the jumper combinations that would let you change the PCI
> multiplier or speed. I believe that it is fixed with respect to the
> jumper that tells about the CPU's FSB - see page 2-3 of your manual (I
> think).

WOW.. Where did you find that manual info?? I've been on the MSI site but
could find something like that or onfo about OC for this mobo. Yes it's
page 2-3 but doesn't tell anything about 133/4 PCI freq.

But, if it's a 133/4 =33Mhz PCI speed, than I realy cant understand why a
raise of my FSB to 140 gives such a strange effect on my network. 140/4
=only 35 Mhz i.s.o. 33Mhz....that's let's see...yes 6%
Is that realy much for a network card??

> I don't know of any program that would tell you the PCI bus speed.
>
>> Can you tell me the differance between a "uplink"port and a normal??
>> the ADSL modem is connected to the uplink....
>
> I believe that an 'uplink' port on a switch is for connecting to another
> router or switch. Since an ADSL modem is technically a router (it routs
> ADSL traffic to the network...), then it is probably good to put it
> there.

just luck...

Bonobo
--
DutchDareDevil

ps: I will let you know what the results are after switching the switch.

> WOW.. Where did you find that manual info??

http://www.msi.com.tw/index.htm

Click on 'mainboard' then pick your chipset from the drop-down menu next
to the button marked 'search' (near the top of the page). Then select
the motherboard and click on the manual link on the top left of the
resulting page.

ALternatively, go to
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=100
for the easy way out...

> I've been on the MSI site
> but could find something like that or onfo about OC for this mobo.
> Yes it's page 2-3 but doesn't tell anything about 133/4 PCI freq.

True. I worked that out (the PCI is always supposed to be 33 MHz and you
would have to divide your FSB by 4 to get it)

> But, if it's a 133/4 =33Mhz PCI speed, than I realy cant understand why
> a raise of my FSB to 140 gives such a strange effect on my network.
> 140/4 =only 35 Mhz i.s.o. 33Mhz....that's let's see...yes 6%
> Is that realy much for a network card??

I don't know. I suspect not, as the manufacturer's web page for your LAN
card said quite explicitly that it worked up to 40 MHz PCI frequency. I
think that your switch is about to expire, but I don't have enough data
to back that up.

Alternatively, another PCI card that you have could be complaining about
the increased frequency and sending signals out at the wrong time,
causing bus clashes with your ethernet card (hence stopping the switch
because your network card is unable to respond).

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:26:38 +0100, BananaOfTheNight
<bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote:

>> WOW.. Where did you find that manual info??
>
> http://www.msi.com.tw/index.htm
>
> Click on 'mainboard' then pick your chipset from the drop-down menu next
> to the button marked 'search' (near the top of the page). Then select
> the motherboard and click on the manual link on the top left of the
> resulting page.
>
> ALternatively, go to
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=100
> for the easy way out...
>
> > I've been on the MSI site
> > but could find something like that or onfo about OC for this mobo.
> > Yes it's page 2-3 but doesn't tell anything about 133/4 PCI freq.
>
> True. I worked that out (the PCI is always supposed to be 33 MHz and you
> would have to divide your FSB by 4 to get it)
>
>> But, if it's a 133/4 =33Mhz PCI speed, than I realy cant understand why
>> a raise of my FSB to 140 gives such a strange effect on my network.
>> 140/4 =only 35 Mhz i.s.o. 33Mhz....that's let's see...yes 6%
>> Is that realy much for a network card??
>
> I don't know. I suspect not, as the manufacturer's web page for your LAN
> card said quite explicitly that it worked up to 40 MHz PCI frequency. I
> think that your switch is about to expire, but I don't have enough data
> to back that up.
>
> Alternatively, another PCI card that you have could be complaining about
> the increased frequency and sending signals out at the wrong time,
> causing bus clashes with your ethernet card (hence stopping the switch
> because your network card is unable to respond).

The switch is only connected to -1- (my) nic, and the uplink port to the
ADSL-modem and one port to a Senao wifi accesspoint. In the weekend I will
try to swap the switch and wait for results with 140 Mhz FSB.
If that again give's problems I can change my nic (E-tech) for a nic from
Compex
(also a RTL8139D but with 39137Q1 instead of 2C052Q1) THAT WILL TEACH MY
SWITCH!! (I hope..)

Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

Bonobo wrote:
> BananaOfTheNight wrote:
[...]
>>> If so, is there a manufacturer that is not so "sensitive" in raising
>>> FSB??
>>
>> That, I don't know about. Your card could have chips that are barely
>> in tolerances and the slight frequency jump was enough to push them
>> over the edge (just simple bad luck). Or your manufacturer could be
>> using parts at the bottom end of the stability spectrum in order to
>> make cheaper cards.
>>
>> I might test this on an old Pentium that I have - give it a 3Com
>> 3C905-TX card (very nice - one of the best ethernet cards around) and
>> raise the PCI bus frequency (if I can).
>
> YES YES !! torture that 3Com and get all the information out of it!!
> Ask it about the RTL8139D /2C052Q1 made in Taiwan family clan and
> why that clan won't work even a few more Mhz faster.

For what it's worth, I've got several RTL8139D-based cards (Xnet 3000RDM)
that all run happily at a 152Mhz FSB (PCI at 38MHz) and probably higher. I
can't read the top of the chips at the moment (they're inside my computer
:) ) but a spare I have lying around has the second line 26113Q1 (with 229E
in small text on the next line).

--
Michael Brown

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:55:02 +1300, Michael Brown <see@signature.below>
wrote:

> Bonobo wrote:
>> BananaOfTheNight wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> That, I don't know about. Your card could have chips that are barely
>>> in tolerances and the slight frequency jump was enough to push them
>>> over the edge (just simple bad luck). Or your manufacturer could be
>>> using parts at the bottom end of the stability spectrum in order to
>>> make cheaper cards.
>>>
>>> I might test this on an old Pentium that I have - give it a 3Com
>>> 3C905-TX card (very nice - one of the best ethernet cards around) and
>>> raise the PCI bus frequency (if I can).
>>
>> YES YES !! torture that 3Com and get all the information out of it!!
>> Ask it about the RTL8139D /2C052Q1 made in Taiwan family clan and
>> why that clan won't work even a few more Mhz faster.
>
> For what it's worth, I've got several RTL8139D-based cards (Xnet 3000RDM)
> that all run happily at a 152Mhz FSB (PCI at 38MHz) and probably higher.
> can't read the top of the chips at the moment (they're inside my computer
> :) ) but a spare I have lying around has the second line 26113Q1 (with
> 229E
> in small text on the next line).
>
> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

Thanks for the extra input Michael

Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> [...]
>>>
>>> That, I don't know about. Your card could have chips that are barely
>>> in tolerances and the slight frequency jump was enough to push them
>>> over the edge (just simple bad luck). Or your manufacturer could be
>>> using parts at the bottom end of the stability spectrum in order to
>>> make cheaper cards.
>>>
>>> I might test this on an old Pentium that I have - give it a 3Com
>>> 3C905-TX card (very nice - one of the best ethernet cards around) and
>>> raise the PCI bus frequency (if I can).
>>
>> YES YES !! torture that 3Com and get all the information out of it!!
>> Ask it about the RTL8139D /2C052Q1 made in Taiwan family clan and
>> why that clan won't work even a few more Mhz faster.
>
> For what it's worth, I've got several RTL8139D-based cards (Xnet 3000RDM)
> that all run happily at a 152Mhz FSB (PCI at 38MHz) and probably higher. I
> can't read the top of the chips at the moment (they're inside my computer
> :) ) but a spare I have lying around has the second line 26113Q1 (with
> 229E
> in small text on the next line).

On my MSI KT2 combo with Via KT266A chipset I had my modem, an old ESS, my
NIC with Realtek 8139D, an old cheap CMI 8731 5.1 soundcard, and an "AXLE"
brand TNT2-M64 32MB PCI video card working at around 40 Mhz - FSB @160 with
out problems, could not go any higher as the board did not have enough
voltage adjustment to the CPU. This was used this way for 3-4 months,
straight after I bought it, until I decided to do the pin-mod and boost the
CPU voltage for a higher speed. While doing the voltage pin-mod I decided
to try out a higher multiplier to see if it would work - it did.

As standard, the max available multiplier selection in BIOS was 12.5 though
the board would work with higher multipliers in the CPU. My CPU is an
XP2000+B that runs at 12.5*133 @ 1.6V standard. Since I would not cut any
bridges on the CPU I was restricted for voltage selections, from memory by
adding the extra shorts I could get 1.6V, 1.8V and maybe 1.85V and the BIOS
would let me only add 0.1V on top of its settings.

So I set it up for 1.65V and set the multiplier to 13.5 and tested. For
Prime95 stable I could run it at 152FSB @ 1.7V without problems with the CPU
temp about 13-20C above room temp, 1-2C higher if I ran Prime95 while doing
a DivX encode at the same time. If the room was cool, under 20C, I could
get the FSB to 154-155. Above that I would have to increase the CPU to
1.75V to get stability. Also, around the time I did the pin-mod, I put in
an GF4 MX440 64MB video card with the TNT for dual monitor set-up.

On that board, the best I could get with PRIME95 stable and memory errors
was 157*13.5 @ 1.75V. With that set-up the CPU could get to about 23-25C
above room temp with the CPU fully loaded. All the PCI cards mentioned
above worked fine at that FSB.

Other constants:-

1 * 256MB "Elixir" RAM, 1 * 256MB "Corsair Value Select" RAM, both PC2100.
The CPU HSF is an TR2-M1 and the case has 1 rear 90mm extractor fan that was
set to run at 7V during the first 4.5 months of the boards use, after that I
made a fan controller from a rotary switch and diodes but still usually set
for around 7V. 1 * 7200.7 160GB Seagate Barracuda ATA HD and an old 5400
RPM Seatgate 20GB drive. There are also to optical drives, a Liteon 4816
combo drive (48x CD R/16x cd RW/16x DVD read) and NEC 4x DVD +-R/RW 1300A.

About 6-8 weeks ago I pulled the two video cards and installed an Leadtek
A360TDH FX 5700 AGP card and also overclocked that from 425/550 to 500/660
with in a few days of installation. That card ran fine with the FSB set at
157 and standard AGP voltage - 1.5V as that KT266A chipset has only 4*AGP
max.

I used that board for 10 months until I changed it for an ABiT NF7-S V2 a
few days ago.

So, the following cards worked for over the last 10 months on an overclocked
VIA chipset board with the FSB set to 152 or higher:-

1 x Mercury NIC with RTL8139D 36075Q1 chip (the 36... should be batch/date)

1 x unknown brand sound card with CMI 8738/PCI-6ch-LX chip, AV511-6CH is
printed in the PCB, could be model tho google came up blank

1 x Axle video card TNT2-M64 32MB

1 x unknown GF4 MX440 64MB AGP video card. On the back it has a sticker
that has "CT7" and what looks like a serial number and on the next line is
says "AP440A2P-64M". Printed on the front of the PCB it says
"A4-MX440DDR-A2".

1 x ESS Superlink-M Data Fax Modem. Dunno the specs, on line at the moment
and it is in the new board.

Dave

PS. I delete old read stuff from the groups so this reply is aimed at the
bod that said "chips that are barely in tolerances".

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

> So, the following cards worked for over the last 10 months on an
> overclocked
> VIA chipset board with the FSB set to 152 or higher:-
>
> 1 x Mercury NIC with RTL8139D 36075Q1 chip (the 36... should be
> batch/date)
>
> 1 x unknown brand sound card with CMI 8738/PCI-6ch-LX chip, AV511-6CH is
> printed in the PCB, could be model tho google came up blank
>
> 1 x Axle video card TNT2-M64 32MB
>
> 1 x unknown GF4 MX440 64MB AGP video card. On the back it has a sticker
> that has "CT7" and what looks like a serial number and on the next line
> is
> says "AP440A2P-64M". Printed on the front of the PCB it says
> "A4-MX440DDR-A2".
>
> 1 x ESS Superlink-M Data Fax Modem. Dunno the specs, on line at the
> moment
> and it is in the new board.
>
> Dave
>
> PS. I delete old read stuff from the groups so this reply is aimed at
> the
> bod that said "chips that are barely in tolerances".

Thanks for sharing this info with us Dave
(the more and more I believe my problem must be the intolerance of my
E-tech switch...)

Bonobo

DutchDareDevil

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Bonobo" <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote in message news:eek:psfs8twf5absjsi@h-l.lan...

>> So, the following cards worked for over the last 10 months on an
>> overclocked
>> VIA chipset board with the FSB set to 152 or higher:-
>>
>> 1 x Mercury NIC with RTL8139D 36075Q1 chip (the 36... should be
>> batch/date)
>>
>> 1 x unknown brand sound card with CMI 8738/PCI-6ch-LX chip, AV511-6CH is
>> printed in the PCB, could be model tho google came up blank
>>
>> 1 x Axle video card TNT2-M64 32MB
>>
>> 1 x unknown GF4 MX440 64MB AGP video card. On the back it has a sticker
>> that has "CT7" and what looks like a serial number and on the next line
>> is
>> says "AP440A2P-64M". Printed on the front of the PCB it says
>> "A4-MX440DDR-A2".
>>
>> 1 x ESS Superlink-M Data Fax Modem. Dunno the specs, on line at the
>> moment
>> and it is in the new board.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> PS. I delete old read stuff from the groups so this reply is aimed at
>> the
>> bod that said "chips that are barely in tolerances".
>>

> Thanks for sharing this info with us Dave
> (the more and more I believe my problem must be the intolerance of my
> E-tech switch...)

Overclocking the FSB of a computer should not affect the performance of an
NIC through a switch/router. That applies for a card that not defective.
Increasing the FSB should only make the communication between the computer
and the PCI card, not what the card talks to externally.

Sometimes removing and inserting the card in a new slot can help. It also
can help to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them. On some cards,
swapping them to another slot would require you to reinstall the drivers as
they were IRQ/INT dependant.

What else could it be, without me seeing the start to this thread? It could
be RAM/CPU errors - test with Prime95/MemTest86 when overclocked. How
strong is the powersupply? Heat problems - is the NIC installed next to a
hot video card? Overheating - good case flow or is the computer clogged
with dust?

Good luck

Dave

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

> What else could it be, without me seeing the start to this thread? It
> could....

> Good luck
>
> Dave

Wel It started with raising my FSB from 133 to 140 and after that I got
several "hang-ups" in our local (wifi)network.

Configuration is:
From ADSL modem to E-Tech 5ports switch, from switch to my
AMD1800+/133FSB Nic and to a Senao Wifi accesspoint with 7 clients.
After a hang-up I have to power/off-on my Switch or my ADSL modem whatever
I choose works fine to reset the problem. Switching back to FSB 133 fixed
the problem, no more hang-ups.......
That is mainly what you missed Dave.

Next action is this weekend, when I switch the switch for another switch
and I hope the other switch will switch fine so I know that the first
switch didn't switch right and I have to look for another switch to
replace the switch.

Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

> Configuration is:
> From ADSL modem to E-Tech 5ports switch, from switch to my
> AMD1800+/133FSB Nic and to a Senao Wifi accesspoint with 7 clients.
> After a hang-up I have to power/off-on my Switch or my ADSL modem
> whatever I choose works fine to reset the problem. Switching back to
> FSB 133 fixed the problem, no more hang-ups.......

Could it be that someone's hacking into your wireless network and it
happens to coincide with the FSB frequency change? Maybe the dropped
connection on the wired connection of the Wifi accesspoint tells it to
reset itself, which is why it looks like the problem is in the switch or
modem?
I'll go back to lurking now.

Andrew

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:26:53 +0100, Andrew Morton
<akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>> Configuration is:
>> From ADSL modem to E-Tech 5ports switch, from switch to my
>> AMD1800+/133FSB Nic and to a Senao Wifi accesspoint with 7 clients.
>> After a hang-up I have to power/off-on my Switch or my ADSL modem
>> whatever I choose works fine to reset the problem. Switching back to
>> FSB 133 fixed the problem, no more hang-ups.......
>
> Could it be that someone's hacking into your wireless network and it
> happens to coincide with the FSB frequency change? Maybe the dropped
> connection on the wired connection of the Wifi accesspoint tells it to
> reset itself, which is why it looks like the problem is in the switch or
> modem?
> I'll go back to lurking now.
>
> Andrew

Maybe, maybe but it's verry strange that from the moment I changed back to
FSB 133 the problems where gone.... But as I wrote, next weekend I
replace the switch and raise the FSB to 140.......

I will keep every interested people informed....

Bonobo

--
DutchDareDevil

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:11:46 +0200, Bonobo <news.wanadoo.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:26:53 +0100, Andrew Morton
> <akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Configuration is:
>>> From ADSL modem to E-Tech 5ports switch, from switch to my
>>> AMD1800+/133FSB Nic and to a Senao Wifi accesspoint with 7 clients.
>>> After a hang-up I have to power/off-on my Switch or my ADSL modem
>>> whatever I choose works fine to reset the problem. Switching back to
>>> FSB 133 fixed the problem, no more hang-ups.......
>>
>> Could it be that someone's hacking into your wireless network and it
>> happens to coincide with the FSB frequency change? Maybe the dropped
>> connection on the wired connection of the Wifi accesspoint tells it to
>> reset itself, which is why it looks like the problem is in the switch or
>> modem?
>> I'll go back to lurking now.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Maybe, maybe but it's verry strange that from the moment I changed back
> to FSB 133 the problems where gone.... But as I wrote, next weekend I
> replace the switch and raise the FSB to 140.......
>
> I will keep every interested people informed....
>
> Bonobo

AND HERE IT IS!!! selected "hangup problems " part xx

Hello, BananaOfTheNight, Andrew and Hamman,

Well I have replaced the switch on 15th with another (same
manufacturer-type)and......

I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM NOW AND THEN!!!!

It can occure once in 4 days or 2 days or even had it twice a day...
Mostly I can "reset" the problem by power off-on the switch.

I can access the access-point/clients-interfaces on the switch most of
the time when it occures (when you enter the switch it's on your left
hand) but not the ADSL modem.....(reset switch and all works fine).

I think I can't blame the FSB raise/putting back to 133 anymore
or the switch as a problem.

Maybey Andrews thougt.... Hacker????????

Is there someting in my "Alcatel Speedtouch 510 on PSTN 4.2 1P" that I can
look for??

I've send some emails to Alcatel for more informating but the are not
verry all-ca tell

Any help/ sugestions??? please

regards Bonobo
--
DutchDareDevil

ps. I shouldn't talk about this " " while I sended it I had a
lockup so the connection was gone just before I started my send command or
my send command triggerd the lockup...............
(last one was 2 days agoo)

> Well I have replaced the switch on 15th with another (same
> manufacturer-type)and......
>

> I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM NOW AND THEN!!!!
>
> It can occure once in 4 days or 2 days or even had it twice a day...
> Mostly I can "reset" the problem by power off-on the switch.
>

> I can access the access-point/clients-interfaces on the switch most of
> the time when it occures (when you enter the switch it's on your left
> hand) but not the ADSL modem.....(reset switch and all works fine).

The next culprit could be the modem - you have replaced the switch with
a new one (which ought to be good) so it is the only common point
remaining (if there is a hardware fault).

> I think I can't blame the FSB raise/putting back to 133 anymore
> or the switch as a problem.
>
> Maybey Andrews thougt.... Hacker????????

Yes, you could have a cracker on your hands - sending evil packets to
smack your connection. I had some problems a year ago when I first got
here - my network gave me some kind of mega-lag spikes every once in a
while. Whether that was due to crack attempts or network faults, I don't
know, but it went away within about 30 seconds.

When your connection dies, does it return on its own after a little
while or do you have to press the reset button to get any response?

> Is there someting in my "Alcatel Speedtouch 510 on PSTN 4.2 1P" that I
> can look for??

I don't know. This is a vrey difficult problem to troubleshoot. What I
would try (if I had the resources) is place an ordinary ethernet hub
between your modem and the switch. I would then put a seperate PC on
that hub with a packet sniffer running. What you do is look at the last
packet(s) to be sent between the modem and the rest of the network
before the connection dies.

Look for a pattern - if the same packet (or string of packets) occurs
just before the connection dies, then there's your problem.

bonobo

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:13:26 +0100, BananaOfTheNight
<bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote:

>> Well I have replaced the switch on 15th with another (same
>> manufacturer-type)and......
>> I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM NOW AND THEN!!!!
>> It can occure once in 4 days or 2 days or even had it twice a day...
>> Mostly I can "reset" the problem by power off-on the switch.
> >

>> I can access the access-point/clients-interfaces on the switch most
>> of the time when it occures (when you enter the switch it's on your
>> left hand) but not the ADSL modem.....(reset switch and all works
>> fine).
>

> The next culprit could be the modem - you have replaced the switch with
> a new one (which ought to be good) so it is the only common point
> remaining (if there is a hardware fault).
>
>> I think I can't blame the FSB raise/putting back to 133 anymore
>> or the switch as a problem.
>> Maybey Andrews thougt.... Hacker????????
>
> Yes, you could have a cracker on your hands - sending evil packets to
> smack your connection. I had some problems a year ago when I first got
> here - my network gave me some kind of mega-lag spikes every once in a
> while. Whether that was due to crack attempts or network faults, I don't
> know, but it went away within about 30 seconds.
>
> When your connection dies, does it return on its own after a little
> while or do you have to press the reset button to get any response?

I have never waited a long time because we (8 persons)are a little bit
adicted to internet...
I do know that the connection was once locked for about 20 minutes because
nobody was at home at te time it happened.

>> Is there someting in my "Alcatel Speedtouch 510 on PSTN 4.2 1P" that I
>> can look for??
>
> I don't know. This is a vrey difficult problem to troubleshoot. What I
> would try (if I had the resources)

Well the same here not a lot of resorces here, but I will try to find
someone who has..

> is place an ordinary ethernet hub between your modem and the switch. I
> would then put a seperate PC on that hub with a packet sniffer running.
> What you do is look at the last packet(s) to be sent between the modem
> and the rest of the network before the connection dies.
>
> Look for a pattern - if the same packet (or string of packets) occurs
> just before the connection dies, then there's your problem.

Next thing I'm going to try is making a long powercord to the poweroutlet
where it was when everything was stable, (I have to elaminate as much as
possible).

You will hear from me again.....

Bonobo
--