p4. prescott or northwood 3.2...3.4..

Creative

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002

hi there currently have a set up abit ic7max3
p4 2.8@3.5
thinking of upgrading, just wondering which steppin and which is the best p4
to go for, want to spend about 100-150 on the cpu...

I've got a 3.4 Prescott (D0 stepping) on my IC7-G is sitting comfortably at
4.01GHz with my custom watercooling (41 - 45C full load running 2x
ClimatePrediction wu's under BOINC).

It's been up to 4.25GHz in windows but it is unstable and I don't want to
kill it with too much vcore. It won't run any benchmarks at that speed -
time for a Vapochill LS.

D0 stepping is the best for overclocking according to all the postings on
the forums.

Stu (UK).

"Creative" <creative@creative.com> wrote in message
> hi there currently have a set up abit ic7max3
> p4 2.8@3.5
> thinking of upgrading, just wondering which steppin and which is the best
p4
> to go for, want to spend about 100-150 on the cpu...

"Creative" <creative@creative.com> wrote in message
> hi there currently have a set up abit ic7max3
> p4 2.8@3.5
> thinking of upgrading, just wondering which steppin and which is the best
> p4 to go for, want to spend about 100-150 on the cpu...

Personally, i wouldnt bother upgrading at all. Your system is fast enough
for anything you could throw at it.

I'm still ruinning a 2200+ with a FX5600, and that still handles the latest
games (doom 3) with high frames per seconds.

hamman

"Creative" <creative@creative.com> wrote in message
> hi there currently have a set up abit ic7max3
> p4 2.8@3.5
> thinking of upgrading, just wondering which steppin and which is the
> best p4 to go for, want to spend about 100-150 on the cpu...

100-150 what exactly? US dollars? UK pounds? Euros? Something else?

In the position you're currently in, I'd suggest changing the CPU would be a
waste of money as it's unlikely you'd be able to buy anything that would
perform noticeably better than what you've already got, unless you also did
what Stuart has done and spent a fair bit more money on a water cooling
solution.

If you're determined to spend the money on your computer, keep your current
CPU and buy something else. Why not spend the money on a cooling solution
that will enable you to get more from the chip you've currently got?
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Creative" <creative@creative.com> wrote in message
> > hi there currently have a set up abit ic7max3
> > p4 2.8@3.5
> > thinking of upgrading, just wondering which steppin and which is the
> > best p4 to go for, want to spend about 100-150 on the cpu...
>
> 100-150 what exactly? US dollars? UK pounds? Euros? Something else?
>
> In the position you're currently in, I'd suggest changing the CPU would be
> waste of money as it's unlikely you'd be able to buy anything that would
> perform noticeably better than what you've already got, unless you also
did
> what Stuart has done and spent a fair bit more money on a water cooling
> solution.
>
> If you're determined to spend the money on your computer, keep your
current
> CPU and buy something else. Why not spend the money on a cooling solution
> that will enable you to get more from the chip you've currently got?
> --

A "common sense" answer !