Mobile athlon onto normal board

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2004 5:01:03 PM

Does a mobile athlon go into any Socket A motherboard, or do I need
something special??

I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5 which accepts a 133FSB (266) Athlon XP (can't
handle 166FSB - 333). I currently have a 2400+ XP, which will overclock, but
I like the peace and quiet of my zalman flower cooler and standard speeds
don't want to have to turn the voltage and fans up. A mobile athlon would
produce about half the heat, but would it fit and work in my board??

Also anyone know a good price (UK) for a mobile athlon with a 133 FSB.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2004 7:15:58 PM

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<j8Pcd.546$xX5.542@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>...

Just installed Mobile Athlon 2500+ XP into Socket A (aka 462) of ASUS A7N8X-E mobo.
Everything's up and running.
> Does a mobile athlon go into any Socket A motherboard, or do I need
> something special??
>
> I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5 which accepts a 133FSB (266) Athlon XP (can't
> handle 166FSB - 333). I currently have a 2400+ XP, which will overclock, but
> I like the peace and quiet of my zalman flower cooler and standard speeds
> don't want to have to turn the voltage and fans up. A mobile athlon would
> produce about half the heat, but would it fit and work in my board??
>
> Also anyone know a good price (UK) for a mobile athlon with a 133 FSB.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 18, 2004 11:19:49 PM

The mobile Athlon will definitely fit your board but,you might need a board
that has lower CPU voltage adjustments. The mobiles use less voltage than the
XP's . Check the motherboard specs or get the most recent BIOS.

>Does a mobile athlon go into any Socket A motherboard, or do I need
>something special??

>I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5 which accepts a 133FSB (266) Athlon XP (can't
>handle 166FSB - 333). I currently have a 2400+ XP, which will overclock, but
>I like the peace and quiet of my zalman flower cooler and standard speeds
>don't want to have to turn the voltage and fans up. A mobile athlon would
>produce about half the heat, but would it fit and work in my board??

Related resources
October 19, 2004 1:26:55 AM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:01:03 GMT, "Gareth Tuckwell"
<ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Also anyone know a good price (UK) for a mobile athlon with a 133 FSB.

1 x AMD ATHLON XP-M 2500+ SKT-A OEM BARTON
(Mobile)Unlocked (1) = £66.74 (Inc.VAT)

http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?...

regards
boneY
<Strive to Survive causing least suffering possible>
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2004 8:42:47 PM

Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
> Does a mobile athlon go into any Socket A motherboard, or do I need
> something special??
>
> I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5 which accepts a 133FSB (266) Athlon XP
> (can't handle 166FSB - 333). I currently have a 2400+ XP, which will
> overclock, but I like the peace and quiet of my zalman flower cooler
> and standard speeds don't want to have to turn the voltage and fans
> up. A mobile athlon would produce about half the heat, but would it
> fit and work in my board??

I've run a mobilised Barton 2500 and a mobilised Duron 1600 without any
problem in this board. Be aware that it will use the startup multiplier (L3)
as opposed to the maximum PowerNow multiplier (L6). This is a good thing by
the way :)  Apart from voltage issues (mobiles run on a lower voltage) I
don't see why it wouldn't work fine. Nothing that couldn't be solved with a
bit of pin painting anyhow.

--
Michael Brown