Mobile athlon onto normal board

Does a mobile athlon go into any Socket A motherboard, or do I need
something special??

I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5 which accepts a 133FSB (266) Athlon XP (can't
handle 166FSB - 333). I currently have a 2400+ XP, which will overclock, but
I like the peace and quiet of my zalman flower cooler and standard speeds
don't want to have to turn the voltage and fans up. A mobile athlon would
produce about half the heat, but would it fit and work in my board??

Also anyone know a good price (UK) for a mobile athlon with a 133 FSB.
4 answers Last reply
More about mobile athlon normal board

    "Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<j8Pcd.546$xX5.542@newsfe5-win.ntli.net>...

    Just installed Mobile Athlon 2500+ XP into Socket A (aka 462) of ASUS A7N8X-E mobo.
    Everything's up and running.
    > Does a mobile athlon go into any Socket A motherboard, or do I need
    > something special??
    >
    > I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5 which accepts a 133FSB (266) Athlon XP (can't
    > handle 166FSB - 333). I currently have a 2400+ XP, which will overclock, but
    > I like the peace and quiet of my zalman flower cooler and standard speeds
    > don't want to have to turn the voltage and fans up. A mobile athlon would
    > produce about half the heat, but would it fit and work in my board??
    >
    > Also anyone know a good price (UK) for a mobile athlon with a 133 FSB.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    The mobile Athlon will definitely fit your board but,you might need a board
    that has lower CPU voltage adjustments. The mobiles use less voltage than the
    XP's . Check the motherboard specs or get the most recent BIOS.

    >Does a mobile athlon go into any Socket A motherboard, or do I need
    >something special??

    >I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5 which accepts a 133FSB (266) Athlon XP (can't
    >handle 166FSB - 333). I currently have a 2400+ XP, which will overclock, but
    >I like the peace and quiet of my zalman flower cooler and standard speeds
    >don't want to have to turn the voltage and fans up. A mobile athlon would
    >produce about half the heat, but would it fit and work in my board??

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:01:03 GMT, "Gareth Tuckwell"
    <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Also anyone know a good price (UK) for a mobile athlon with a 133 FSB.

    1 x AMD ATHLON XP-M 2500+ SKT-A OEM BARTON
    (Mobile)Unlocked (1) = £66.74 (Inc.VAT)

    http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=392

    regards
    boneY
    <Strive to Survive causing least suffering possible>
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
    > Does a mobile athlon go into any Socket A motherboard, or do I need
    > something special??
    >
    > I have a Soltek SL75-DRV5 which accepts a 133FSB (266) Athlon XP
    > (can't handle 166FSB - 333). I currently have a 2400+ XP, which will
    > overclock, but I like the peace and quiet of my zalman flower cooler
    > and standard speeds don't want to have to turn the voltage and fans
    > up. A mobile athlon would produce about half the heat, but would it
    > fit and work in my board??

    I've run a mobilised Barton 2500 and a mobilised Duron 1600 without any
    problem in this board. Be aware that it will use the startup multiplier (L3)
    as opposed to the maximum PowerNow multiplier (L6). This is a good thing by
    the way :) Apart from voltage issues (mobiles run on a lower voltage) I
    don't see why it wouldn't work fine. Nothing that couldn't be solved with a
    bit of pin painting anyhow.

    --
    Michael Brown

Mobile Overclocking Windows XP