Cooling a P4 Prescott

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2004 6:34:58 AM

My 2.8 P4 is running way to hot. (So what's new?)

It idles around 48C but goes to 73C+ when working hard.

I obviously need to cool it down a lot so I'm looking for the best air
cooler. I just can't afford water cooling at the moment.

I'm also planning to install some extra fans in the case to get the hot
air out. Just now it's sitting at 40C in the case.

I've read some info at www.overclockers.com and other sites and have
gotten down to three possible coolers.

The Thermalright XP-90 (http://tinyurl.com/4lv4m) what are the benefits
of using 'heat pipe' technology?

The Thermalright TOWER112 (http://tinyurl.com/4tmtu).

Or the ZALMAN CNPS7000A (http://tinyurl.com/2nacv).

Does anyone have any recomendations about these or any others I should
consider?

What about web sites that can give me some more info and help me find a
solution to getting this system cool?

And unfortunately, nitro cooling isn't an option either just now... :-(

--
Alex Devlin

"I don't care who you want to speak to, how far you came or what you have
to offer. You CAN'T PARK HERE!"

More about : cooling prescott

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2004 8:24:57 PM

"Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> My 2.8 P4 is running way to hot. (So what's new?)
>
> It idles around 48C but goes to 73C+ when working
> hard.

Is this at default speed, overclocked, with the standard Intel heatsink,
with something else?

> I'm also planning to install some extra fans in the case to get the
> hot air out. Just now it's sitting at 40C in the case.

That's way too hot. If you pay attention to this aspect before splashing out
on a new heatsink, you will find that your existing thermal solution,
whatever it is, will work far more effectively, as will whatever you buy to
replace it - if indeed you still need a replacement.

> what are the benefits of using 'heat pipe' technology?

Put very simply, heat pipes are a method of "pumping" heat away from its
source to the cooling portion of the heatsink via a phase change (liquid to
vapour and back to liquid) process. The sealed pipes contain a fluid that
evaporates at the base of the sink due to heat from the CPU. It then rises
to the top of the pipe, carrying the heat with it, and gradually condensing
back to liquid as it goes, thus trickling back to the bottom of the heatsink
where the process starts again.

One of the points to make about heat pipe heatsinks is that they are
normally designed to work best on a horizontally mounted motherboard, and
their effectiveness is often compromised when mounted sideways in a tower
case.

> The Thermalright TOWER112 (http://tinyurl.com/4tmtu).

This is made by Thermaltake, not Thermalright, and is also a heat pipe
heatsink, and works very well. Probably worth pointing out though that the
CoolerMaster Hyper 6 is a very similar design, but benefits from a better
fitting kit and a better standard of finish to its CPU mating face. If
you're prepared to do a little work, the Thermaltake product works just as
well as the CoolerMaster. Out of the box though the CM product is a little
better.

One thing to point out about both these designs is that they are both
physically very large and very heavy. If you're going to mount in a tower
system, you really need to bolt their mounts through to the case via
standoffs to take the stress off the motherboard.

> Or the ZALMAN CNPS7000A (http://tinyurl.com/2nacv).

This is a good, quiet heatsink, but isn't as effective as the heatpipe
designs mentioned above.

> Does anyone have any recomendations about these or any others I
> should consider?

In terms of sheer effectiveness, multi-heatpipe sinks like the Thermaltake
Tower and CoolerMaster Hyper 6 are about the state of the art at this time,
but their mounting requirements should make you think carefully - ideally
they need to be used on a horizontally mounted motherboard, both for maximum
effectiveness and the mechanical integrity of the motherboard. No personal
experience of the Thermalright product you mention, but as a smaller, four
pipe design it is unlikely to be quite as effective. On the plus side though
it is smaller and lighter and so should be easier to mount.

Before you buy anything though you should sort out your case cooling. As
things stand, any money spent on a new CPU heatsink will be largely wasted
due to the fact that its effectiveness will be severely compromised. Forced
air heat exchangers rely on the temperature differential between hot and
coldside, and a more effective CPU sink will likely make the air in your
case even hotter. You need to get your in-case temps down before making any
other moves.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2004 7:43:11 PM

"Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> My 2.8 P4 is running way to hot. (So what's new?)
>
> It idles around 48C but goes to 73C+ when working hard.
Ahh, am I the only one who knows this??
That temp is just fine for a "Prescott"
Prescott's have a much hotter overheat temp then most CPU's
93ºC I think, it's not uncommon to see temps hit 73ºC with
a Prescott.
Every1 that has posted a reply, go do your home work.
You'll find it's true.

RavingRaichu. ;-) :-) (Denny, always with a
smile, even if times are bad.)

> I obviously need to cool it down a lot so I'm looking for the best air
> cooler. I just can't afford water cooling at the moment.
>
> I'm also planning to install some extra fans in the case to get the hot
> air out. Just now it's sitting at 40C in the case.
>
> I've read some info at www.overclockers.com and other sites and have
> gotten down to three possible coolers.
>
> The Thermalright XP-90 (http://tinyurl.com/4lv4m) what are the benefits
> of using 'heat pipe' technology?
>
> The Thermalright TOWER112 (http://tinyurl.com/4tmtu).
>
> Or the ZALMAN CNPS7000A (http://tinyurl.com/2nacv).
>
> Does anyone have any recomendations about these or any others I should
> consider?
>
> What about web sites that can give me some more info and help me find a
> solution to getting this system cool?
>

> And unfortunately, nitro cooling isn't an option either just now... :-(
>

> --
> Alex Devlin
>
> "I don't care who you want to speak to, how far you came or what you have
> to offer. You CAN'T PARK HERE!"
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2004 1:50:41 AM

"RavingRaichu" <ravingraichu@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> "Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > My 2.8 P4 is running way to hot. (So what's new?)
> >
> > It idles around 48C but goes to 73C+ when working hard.
> Ahh, am I the only one who knows this??
> That temp is just fine for a "Prescott"
> Prescott's have a much hotter overheat temp then most CPU's
> 93ºC I think, it's not uncommon to see temps hit 73ºC with
> a Prescott.
I need to correct myself here, 93ºC is when the cpu goes to glass..
burns out, toast.
Again though, the Prescott is one of the hottest cpu's on the market,
and I don't meat hot as in good.
I mean it runs hotter then anyother cpu I've seem, it's also why I don't
have
one in my Gigabyte 8IG1000 Pro board.
Trying to keep one of those things cool is a loosing battle as long as you
don't go to water.
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/303/3
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040212193648...
89 Watts is a lot of power for just one CPU
It's not far from 90 watts.
Grab an 80 watt light bulb that's been on for a while.
You need to get rid of that much heat to keep it cool.
And then some.
I read one page that listed the Prescott burning up at like 65ºC
Some ppl's Prescott's run at that idle.
And 70 or so under load, if that pages was right, there would be a lot of
Prescott cpu's that would be pieces of glass.
It's also on Intel's pages too, but I cant seem to find it right now.
They should make it easier to find,, Grrrrrr.
The 3.2 & 3.4 GHz Prescott's use 103W
Try to keep that cool.
You should've just got a (Northwood)
Northwoods run cool, my system is almost idle..
I'd say even without a monitor, which I have none installed.
my cpu is running at a temp of about 72 or 73 ºF
if any warmer, 74 or 75F I'm not sure what C would be.

<Snip,, copy paste.>

RavingRaichu. ;-) :-) (Denny, always with a
smile, even if times are bad.)
> "I don't care who you want to speak to, how far you came or what you have
> to offer. You CAN'T PARK HERE!"

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2004 2:16:33 AM

Hi,

I have a P4 Prescott 3.4 ghz (560) sockel 775. My CPU was also very hot, so
i put a Watercoolin-System on it, and now i have temperatures about 28 - 30
C. My Northbridge and GPU is also Watercooled. My CPU is running at 4.2 Ghz.

Greez alex

"RavingRaichu" <ravingraichu@nowhere.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> [...]

> I read one page that listed the Prescott burning up at like 65ºC
> Some ppl's Prescott's run at that idle.
> And 70 or so under load, if that pages was right, there would be a lot of
> Prescott cpu's that would be pieces of glass.
> It's also on Intel's pages too, but I cant seem to find it right now.
> They should make it easier to find,, Grrrrrr.
> The 3.2 & 3.4 GHz Prescott's use 103W
> Try to keep that cool.
> You should've just got a (Northwood)
> Northwoods run cool, my system is almost idle..
> I'd say even without a monitor, which I have none installed.
> my cpu is running at a temp of about 72 or 73 ºF
> if any warmer, 74 or 75F I'm not sure what C would be.
>
> <Snip,, copy paste.>
>

> RavingRaichu. ;-) :-) (Denny, always with a
> smile, even if times are bad.)
>> "I don't care who you want to speak to, how far you came or what you have

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2004 6:14:29 PM

"Alexander Ferrari" <aferrari@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a P4 Prescott 3.4 ghz (560) sockel 775. My CPU was also very hot,
so
> i put a Watercoolin-System on it, and now i have temperatures about 28 -
30
> C. My Northbridge and GPU is also Watercooled. My CPU is running at 4.2
Ghz.
You didn't need to post it more then one time.
The problem with a 775 Prescott is the fact that you can't use any of it's
64Bit instruction set, @ least not till Microsoft comes out with the Intel
Version of WinXp 64
It could be as late as january till they come out with it.
This board I use, a socket 478 board can take a Prescott, it's ready with
the bios for it..
Gigabyte 8IG1000 Pro, but cause of how hot they get, I don't want one.
Plus, if it's not as ready as Gigabyte thinks it is, it can go really hard
on
some of the parts of the MB, read it a number of times.

Here's something that the guy with a 2.8 GHz Prescott should read.
http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-208-1.htm

"In our first Prescott review, we told you that it was significantly hotter
than an equivalent Northwood CPU at 3.2 GHz. It was not unusual to see a
fully loaded Prescott to hit up to 80 degrees C (yes, CELSIUS) with stock
cooling. This poses no stability issues however.

Interestingly, the new 3.4 GHz Prescott features the exact same Thermal
Design Power spec as the 3.2, and thus should be no hotter or cooler than
the 3.2 GHz version."

You can also look up my board from that link, I didn't remember that G --
Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro-G But that is the board I have.

A little over 73ºC is normal for your (2.8GHz Prescott)
Me hopes the one who started this thread reads this.

RavingRaichu. ;-) :-)

!