3.4Ghz overclock on a 2.0Ghz Celeron

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2004 1:39:04 AM

Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most diag.
progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at it's original
speed (2.0Ghz)?
Bios and only one other diag program actually report that it is actually
running at the overclocked speed in XP.
How can I fix this report error in XP, so that is correctly shows the speed
my CPU is running at.

Thanx
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2004 1:39:05 AM

Nate wrote:

> Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most diag.
> progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at it's original
> speed (2.0Ghz)?

How did you 'overclock' it? I ask because I'm not so sure it actually is.

> Bios and only one other diag program actually report that it is actually
> running at the overclocked speed in XP.
> How can I fix this report error in XP, so that is correctly shows the speed
> my CPU is running at.

Makes one wonder when, as you describe it, the vast majority of diagnostic
programs you've tried, and XP, say it isn't overclocked and, on my systems,
XP gets it right every time. For example, on my overclocked Tualatin
Celeron XP reports the 'official Intel' specification AND the speed it's
actually running. E.g. XP reports Intel (R) Celeron (TM) 1200MHz CPU and
the (mild overclock) actual speed of 1.32 GHz. For my overclocked XP
mobile, XP states it's an unknown CPU type and gives the actual speed. For
my overclocked XP 1800+, XP gives the correct speed and then the 'pr
rating' that matches (rather than XP 1800+).

That's what makes me wonder if yours is really overclocked like you think.

> Thanx

a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2004 7:23:23 AM

"Nate" <1@1.COM> wrote in message news:417efc6f_2@newsfeed.slurp.net...
> Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most diag.
> progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at it's original
> speed (2.0Ghz)?
> Bios and only one other diag program actually report that it is actually
> running at the overclocked speed in XP.
> How can I fix this report error in XP, so that is correctly shows the
speed
> my CPU is running at.

If XP reports that it's running at 2Ghz, then that's what it's running. BIOS
is calculating based on your settings, not measuring actual speeds. Just
because you upped the multiplier in the BIOS settings doesn't mean the CPU
is actually using them.

My XP says:
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
3.17Ghz

So I know that my 2.6Ghz chip is really running 3.17Ghz.
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2004 12:31:31 AM

Well,my BIOS tells me I have an Athlon 64 2800+ running at 1967. All BIOS'
brands differ in how they detect CPU speed. And even an updated BIOS can show
different speeds from the previous version.
BTW,it dounds like you overclock isn't really working.What settings in the BIOS
did you change?

>> Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most diag.
>> progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at it's original
>> speed (2.0Ghz)?

>> Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most diag.
>> progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at it's original
>> speed (2.0Ghz)?
>> Bios and only one other diag program actually report that it is actually
>> running at the overclocked speed in XP.
>> How can I fix this report error in XP, so that is correctly shows the
>speed
>> my CPU is running at.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2004 11:55:58 PM

I overclocked it by increasing the multiplier in Bios. When it POSTs it now
reads Genuine Intel Celeron 3.4Ghz instead of the original 2.0Ghz.
If it is not actually overclocked, then some external program is either
overriding the bios settings or bios itself is resetting itself upon booting
XP, the latter is highly doubtable.

"Nate" <1@1.COM> wrote in message news:417efc6f_2@newsfeed.slurp.net...
> Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most diag.
> progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at it's original
> speed (2.0Ghz)?
> Bios and only one other diag program actually report that it is actually
> running at the overclocked speed in XP.
> How can I fix this report error in XP, so that is correctly shows the
> speed my CPU is running at.
>
> Thanx

a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2004 1:29:05 AM

Nate wrote:

> I overclocked it by increasing the multiplier in Bios. When it POSTs it now
> reads Genuine Intel Celeron 3.4Ghz instead of the original 2.0Ghz.

The BIOS is merely repeating what you told it.

> If it is not actually overclocked,

It isn't.

> then some external program is either
> overriding the bios settings or bios itself is resetting itself upon booting
> XP, the latter is highly doubtable.

Neither is happening. It's not overclocked because it doesn't matter one
whit what multiplier setting you put into the BIOS as the multiplier is set
and locked, by the factory, into the CPU itself.

XP is telling you the actual speed.

> "Nate" <1@1.COM> wrote in message news:417efc6f_2@newsfeed.slurp.net...
>
>>Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most diag.
>>progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at it's original
>>speed (2.0Ghz)?
>>Bios and only one other diag program actually report that it is actually
>>running at the overclocked speed in XP.
>>How can I fix this report error in XP, so that is correctly shows the
>>speed my CPU is running at.
>>
>>Thanx

a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2004 3:15:30 AM

David Maynard wrote:
> Nate wrote:
>
>> I overclocked it by increasing the multiplier in Bios. When it POSTs
>> it now
>> reads Genuine Intel Celeron 3.4Ghz instead of the original 2.0Ghz.
>

> The BIOS is merely repeating what you told it.

Sheesh, why do that?

BIOS should not allow multiplier changes unless an ES processor is
detected. It just confuses people who haven't noticed their system isn't
any faster when it's (supposedly) overclocked 70% ;-)

>> If it is not actually overclocked,
>

> It isn't.
>
>> then some external program is either
>> overriding the bios settings or bios itself is resetting itself upon
>> booting
>> XP, the latter is highly doubtable.
>

> Neither is happening. It's not overclocked because it doesn't matter one
> whit what multiplier setting you put into the BIOS as the multiplier is
> set and locked, by the factory, into the CPU itself.
>
> XP is telling you the actual speed.
>

>> "Nate" <1@1.COM> wrote in message news:417efc6f_2@newsfeed.slurp.net...
>>
>>> Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most
>>> diag. progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at
>>> it's original speed (2.0Ghz)?
>>> Bios and only one other diag program actually report that it is
>>> actually running at the overclocked speed in XP.
>>> How can I fix this report error in XP, so that is correctly shows
>>> the speed my CPU is running at.
>>>
>>> Thanx

a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2004 3:15:31 AM

P2B wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> Nate wrote:
>>
>>> I overclocked it by increasing the multiplier in Bios. When it POSTs
>>> it now
>>> reads Genuine Intel Celeron 3.4Ghz instead of the original 2.0Ghz.
>>

>> The BIOS is merely repeating what you told it.
>

> Sheesh, why do that?

I've been wondering that for YEARS.

> BIOS should not allow multiplier changes unless an ES processor is
> detected. It just confuses people who haven't noticed their system isn't
> any faster when it's (supposedly) overclocked 70% ;-)

Hehe. Yeah.

Or, better yet, they 'notice' it even though it isn't.

>>> If it is not actually overclocked,
>>

>> It isn't.
>>
>>> then some external program is either
>>> overriding the bios settings or bios itself is resetting itself upon
>>> booting
>>> XP, the latter is highly doubtable.
>>

>> Neither is happening. It's not overclocked because it doesn't matter
>> one whit what multiplier setting you put into the BIOS as the
>> multiplier is set and locked, by the factory, into the CPU itself.
>>
>> XP is telling you the actual speed.

a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2004 6:24:16 AM

In other words everyone else is lying to you and you MUST be right? Why did
you ask if you don't want to believe what you're being told?

If Windows says 2Ghz, then you're running 2Ghz.

"Nate" <1@1.COM> wrote in message news:41818746_5@newsfeed.slurp.net...
> I overclocked it by increasing the multiplier in Bios. When it POSTs it
now
> reads Genuine Intel Celeron 3.4Ghz instead of the original 2.0Ghz.
> If it is not actually overclocked, then some external program is either
> overriding the bios settings or bios itself is resetting itself upon
booting
> XP, the latter is highly doubtable.
>

> "Nate" <1@1.COM> wrote in message news:417efc6f_2@newsfeed.slurp.net...
> > Just a quick question, probably dumb too, but why does XP and most diag.
> > progs. I run in XP report my overclocked cerleon (3.4Ghz) at it's
original
> > speed (2.0Ghz)?
> > Bios and only one other diag program actually report that it is actually
> > running at the overclocked speed in XP.
> > How can I fix this report error in XP, so that is correctly shows the
> > speed my CPU is running at.
> >
> > Thanx

a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2004 6:06:35 PM

Nate wrote:
> I overclocked it by increasing the multiplier in Bios.

The multiplier on Celerons/P4's is locked, so increasing it in the BIOS does
nothing.

> When it POSTs
> it now reads Genuine Intel Celeron 3.4Ghz instead of the original
> 2.0Ghz.

It's lying to you :)  Actually, what it's doing is telling the CPU to run at
3.4GHz via the multiplier, then assuming everything went OK so therefore the
chip must now be running at 3.4GHz. This is not the case, as the multiplier
is locked. The programs in Windows are measuring the ACTUAL CPU speed, which
is still at 2GHz (though they may also mention the 3.4GHz name if the BIOS
set the name string to be that).

[...]

--
Michael Brown
a b K Overclocking

ok, so, thanks for the flames, and the interesting info.
My intel 848p-a v1.0 mobo advertises that is it made for overclocking and
yet now you all are telling me that it actually doesn't?

How (IF) can I overclock my celeron?

thanks
October 30, 2004 6:56:53 AM

Increase your FSB a few MHz at a time until it gets flakey then give the CPU
core voltage a bit of an increase and retest with prime 95 torture test and
memtest86 for RAM.

Expect to spend a week or two trying different combinations and fine tuning.
If it runs both tests without error for at least 12hrs each (24 or more
better) then you could call it reasonably stable.

Overclocked CPUs run hotter than so make sure the case has good ventilation
and the various coolers are up to the task. If you have had the current
system for more than a month and it gets used for more than 4 hrs/day then
you may want to inspect the various heatsinks with fans and clean them.

If the case came with no fans the add them, starting with the rear exhaust
fans (they blow out of the back of the case).

Before adding front/side intake fans, make sure the air intake
slots/openings are big. If the CPU/board temps drop with the side panel off
then the case has bad ventilation. On a case with good ventilation side
intake fans don't do much other than look nice though ones directly over the
CPU can help.

Dave

"Nate" <1@1.COM> wrote in message news:4182f747_4@newsfeed.slurp.net...

> ok, so, thanks for the flames, and the interesting info.
> My intel 848p-a v1.0 mobo advertises that is it made for overclocking and
> yet now you all are telling me that it actually doesn't?
>
> How (IF) can I overclock my celeron?
>
> thanks

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2004 10:45:57 PM

Thanks again, the only option given to me in the bios is the increase the
freq. multiplier. I have done so and although it will POST that the CPU is
now running at an overclocked rate Windows and most other programs (one such
as wcpuid) show the current speed as the original stock speed. Many other
posts on this thread have insisted that if it isn't registering @ an
overclocked speed in windows then it isn't actually being overclocked.

Any more ideas?

Nate

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Increase your FSB a few MHz at a time until it gets flakey then give the
> CPU core voltage a bit of an increase and retest with prime 95 torture
> test and memtest86 for RAM.
>
> Expect to spend a week or two trying different combinations and fine
> tuning. If it runs both tests without error for at least 12hrs each (24 or
> more better) then you could call it reasonably stable.
>
> Overclocked CPUs run hotter than so make sure the case has good
> ventilation and the various coolers are up to the task. If you have had
> the current system for more than a month and it gets used for more than 4
> hrs/day then you may want to inspect the various heatsinks with fans and
> clean them.
>
> If the case came with no fans the add them, starting with the rear exhaust
> fans (they blow out of the back of the case).
>
> Before adding front/side intake fans, make sure the air intake
> slots/openings are big. If the CPU/board temps drop with the side panel
> off then the case has bad ventilation. On a case with good ventilation
> side intake fans don't do much other than look nice though ones directly
> over the CPU can help.
>
> Dave
>

> "Nate" <1@1.COM> wrote in message news:4182f747_4@newsfeed.slurp.net...
>>
>> ok, so, thanks for the flames, and the interesting info.
>> My intel 848p-a v1.0 mobo advertises that is it made for overclocking and
>> yet now you all are telling me that it actually doesn't?
>>
>> How (IF) can I overclock my celeron?
>>
>> thanks

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2004 4:14:23 PM

Nate wrote:
> Thanks again, the only option given to me in the bios is the increase
> the freq. multiplier.

Looking at the manual for your motherboard (assuming it's a ECS 848P-A),
there should be something called "CPU clock" on the same screen as the "CPU
clock ratio" setting. Slowly increase this until you find the limit of your
system. You'll also probably need to set "Async AGP/PCI CLK" to 33MHz or
something to keep your PCI bus in spec.

> I have done so and although it will POST that
> the CPU is now running at an overclocked rate Windows and most other
> programs (one such as wcpuid) show the current speed as the original
> stock speed. Many other posts on this thread have insisted that if it
> isn't registering @ an overclocked speed in windows then it isn't
> actually being overclocked.

I don't see why you've having a problem with this. The BIOS is telling you
what you told it to tell you. The CPU is following Intel's orders (to stay
at a 20x multiplier) as opposed to following yours. This shows up in all the
programs that you run which show you the actual speed your CPU is running
at.

[...]

--
Michael Brown