Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Yet another heat sink question..

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2004 11:42:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

Just got my new goodies in the mail today. Abit AI7 and a 2.8
Northwood... CPU came with a cheesy looking HS/Fan which I plan on
ditching.. Well, I'll pilfer the fan for other duties but I'd like to
pick up a good heat sink for the CPU.

All my other OC adventures have used Alpha HSs except for the machine
I'm on and I can't for the life of my recall the make/model of this
one. Lots of very thin copper fins and nice loud Delta fan.. Works
great.

The AI7 will be mounted vertically and while I'd initially entertained
the idea of a heat pipe cooler, I don't know how well it would work on
its "side" as all the pics I've seen seem to suggest they were
designed to be horizontal.

I'm not entirely sold on a heat pipe cooler and I don't want to go the
water cooled route, but would like something with a good c/W rating.
Are the Alphas still a good choice or has someone invented a better
mousetrap??

TIA!

More about : heat sink question

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2004 8:47:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message...
> I'm not entirely sold on a heat pipe cooler and I don't want to go
> the water cooled route, but would like something with a good c/W
> rating. Are the Alphas still a good choice or has someone invented
> a better mousetrap??

As you say, heat pipe based heatsinks usually work best when the pipes are
vertical, and in any case, the best heatpipe heatsinks (the various "tower"
designs) are so heavy and tall that mounting them in a tower case would put
the motherboard's integrity at some risk, unless you through-bolted the HSF
mount into the case.

However, Thermalright have recently introduced a folded heatpipe design that
will presumably work just as effectively in a tower case installation as it
will in a desktop/horizontal board scenario, so that may be one option.

The other one that springs to mind, if you want a pure air cooler, is the
Zalman CNPS7000-CU. Works very well, and quiet to boot.
--


Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
(replace .nospam with .com in reply address)

The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2004 1:41:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:47:30 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
<richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote:

>"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message...
>> I'm not entirely sold on a heat pipe cooler and I don't want to go
>> the water cooled route, but would like something with a good c/W
>> rating. Are the Alphas still a good choice or has someone invented
>> a better mousetrap??
>
>As you say, heat pipe based heatsinks usually work best when the pipes are
>vertical, and in any case, the best heatpipe heatsinks (the various "tower"
>designs) are so heavy and tall that mounting them in a tower case would put
>the motherboard's integrity at some risk, unless you through-bolted the HSF
>mount into the case.

I've got an Inwin S500 case with a mainboard "tray" that slides out.
Through bolting wouldn't be an issue as there's plenty of room "below"
the tray.

>However, Thermalright have recently introduced a folded heatpipe design that
>will presumably work just as effectively in a tower case installation as it
>will in a desktop/horizontal board scenario, so that may be one option.
>
>The other one that springs to mind, if you want a pure air cooler, is the
>Zalman CNPS7000-CU. Works very well, and quiet to boot.

I was actually looking at that unit online earlier this evening.
Noise I'm not worried about. I have 7 computers running in my office
and 4 of them run those 40dB Delta fans on the heatsinks.. I think my
Cisco switch is louder than all of 'em to tell you the truth. hehehe

The good thing is all the white noise tends to "filter" the sounds of
my guitar when I play. Keeps the wife from complaining - most of the
time. :) 

Thx for the info!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2004 4:27:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote
> Just got my new goodies in the mail today. Abit AI7 and a 2.8
> Northwood... CPU came with a cheesy looking HS/Fan which I plan on
> ditching.. Well, I'll pilfer the fan for other duties but I'd like to
> pick up a good heat sink for the CPU.


Hi,

I got a pair of AI7's both using the Thermalright SP-94, works really good!

If you look around you should be able to pick up an SP-94 quiet cheaply. If
you don't fancy that then have a look at the newer XP-90.

I am one of the people that prefere the *bolt-on* method of attaching
heatsinks. . .

Wayne ][
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2004 10:00:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote
> Not sure if either of these would work in my application. They both
> appear to be designed to work in a horizontal mounting. As I have a
> tower case, the unit will have to be mounted vertically.. I really
> won't be able to tell for sure unless I get one in my grubby little
> hands and see what it looks like up close.


Hi,
the SP-94 works fine when used in a tower-case, and as it is attached via
the four bolts you have no fears!
At the price these heatsinks are going for its a no-brainer!

Wayne ][
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2004 10:00:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:00:42 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
<waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:


>Hi,
>the SP-94 works fine when used in a tower-case, and as it is attached via
>the four bolts you have no fears!
>At the price these heatsinks are going for its a no-brainer!

Well, since I've been accused more than once of having no brains, I
think I'll drop the $40 and pick one up.

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2004 8:08:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

> >Hi,
> >the SP-94 works fine when used in a tower-case, and as it is attached via
> >the four bolts you have no fears!
> >At the price these heatsinks are going for its a no-brainer!
>
> Well, since I've been accused more than once of having no brains, I
> think I'll drop the $40 and pick one up.

http://www.hard-h2o.com/hardh2o.php?tpant=0&seccion=fil...

Shows this sink, but they use WAY too much thermal compound.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 1, 2004 4:12:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

"Noozer" wrote
> Shows this sink, but they use WAY too much thermal compound.


Yup!

also make sure to install the fan clips before you install the heatsink.
You cant put the fans clips in after the 4 sping-loaded screws have been
installed.

Wayne ][
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 6, 2004 12:18:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:00:42 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
<waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>
>"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote
>> Not sure if either of these would work in my application. They both
>> appear to be designed to work in a horizontal mounting. As I have a
>> tower case, the unit will have to be mounted vertically.. I really
>> won't be able to tell for sure unless I get one in my grubby little
>> hands and see what it looks like up close.
>
>
>Hi,
>the SP-94 works fine when used in a tower-case, and as it is attached via
>the four bolts you have no fears!
>At the price these heatsinks are going for its a no-brainer!

Man, everywhere I've looked the SP94s are out of stock. The XP90 uses
the socket clips for retention so I have no desire to even consider
that unit. Anyione know an online retailer that actually has SP94s in
stock?

My Ballistix RAM arrived today and I'm itchin' to start building!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 11, 2004 1:47:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:18:31 -0800, The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
<skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 06:00:42 +0100, "Wayne Youngman"
><waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>
>>"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote
>>> Not sure if either of these would work in my application. They both
>>> appear to be designed to work in a horizontal mounting. As I have a
>>> tower case, the unit will have to be mounted vertically.. I really
>>> won't be able to tell for sure unless I get one in my grubby little
>>> hands and see what it looks like up close.
>>
>>
>>Hi,
>>the SP-94 works fine when used in a tower-case, and as it is attached via
>>the four bolts you have no fears!
>>At the price these heatsinks are going for its a no-brainer!
>
>Man, everywhere I've looked the SP94s are out of stock. The XP90 uses
>the socket clips for retention so I have no desire to even consider
>that unit. Anyione know an online retailer that actually has SP94s in
>stock?
>
>My Ballistix RAM arrived today and I'm itchin' to start building!

Typical. The only place I've found that has the SP-94 in stock is
about 8,000 miles from here.. In England..

I guess the question now would be; Is Thermalright even making any
more of these things?
November 14, 2004 10:46:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

I've got a ThermalTake Silent Tower CL-P0025 copper pipes with aluminum
fins. Very large and very heavy. BUT it does a heck of a job keeping things
cool. Highest temps are 47c At idle down to 38. It is bolted through the
board. My motherboards socket and ram slots are rotated 90 degrees from
normal, so instead of the fan blowing cool air front to back, it pulls it
from bottom to top. Strange but it works.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 939 90nm Winchester 1800Mhz oc'd to 2502Mhz
1.5 vcore, 2.85 vdimm, htt 278, ht 3x
ThermalTake Silent Tower CL-P0025
MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum Model 7025 Bios 1.41 (beta)
OCZ Performance Series PC3500 DDR 433 512MB at 232Mhz 3-3-3-7 x 2 (dual
channel)
BFG Nvidia GeForce FX 5900XT OC
Core Clock 430Mhz (vs 390Mhz standard)
Mem Clock 735Mhz Effective
Drivers 66.93
Lian Li Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case PC-V1000
MGE Vigor 500 PSVG-500 500w Power Supply
Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM 8MG IDE ATA133 6Y160P0 x 2 (Raid - 0)
LG Electronics GCC-4521BB 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive
HP L2335 23" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
WinXP Pro
DX 9.0c


"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:417fd5e9$0$1397$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com...
> "The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message...
>> I'm not entirely sold on a heat pipe cooler and I don't want to go
>> the water cooled route, but would like something with a good c/W
>> rating. Are the Alphas still a good choice or has someone invented
>> a better mousetrap??
>
> As you say, heat pipe based heatsinks usually work best when the pipes are
> vertical, and in any case, the best heatpipe heatsinks (the various
> "tower" designs) are so heavy and tall that mounting them in a tower case
> would put the motherboard's integrity at some risk, unless you
> through-bolted the HSF mount into the case.
>
> However, Thermalright have recently introduced a folded heatpipe design
> that will presumably work just as effectively in a tower case installation
> as it will in a desktop/horizontal board scenario, so that may be one
> option.
>
> The other one that springs to mind, if you want a pure air cooler, is the
> Zalman CNPS7000-CU. Works very well, and quiet to boot.
> --
>
>
> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
> Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com
>
>
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2004 12:45:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 22:47:06 -0800, The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
<skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote:


>Typical. The only place I've found that has the SP-94 in stock is
>about 8,000 miles from here.. In England..
>
>I guess the question now would be; Is Thermalright even making any
>more of these things?

Found one here in the states. It showed up on my front porch today.
Man is this thing heavy! I think I may need to find some grade 8
bolts to attach it to my motherboard. hehehe

Now to find a nice fan to go with it. I wonder if I've got a 120mm
Delta lying around in one of my junk boxes..
!