Trackball mouse equals trackball?

Have i understand it correctly that a trackball mouse will operate the
same way as a normal trackball?

Just built my first mame-cabinet, but i regret that i didnt build space
for a trackball, but a mouse would do just fine if it kan do det
same... Can it?

i have a couple of the kensinton tracball mice i ps2 one usb the ball
is not captive so it can flop out if you have the marble madness
and if you go to fast if just jitters instead of zooming to the side

i have a little one and one that was integral with a keyboard i removed
the one from the keyboard and mouted it to my control pannel using a
holesaw set (one to make a cutting a slight hole from the top that was
2 1/2 inches wide about 1/4 inch down then from the back i holesawed
with a 2 3/4 one and the plug came out clean and the ball stays in and
mounted the plastic base with some long carrage bolts it was quite
tricky and i'm very proud of it )

trackball mice are fairly cheap buy and try a few

nothing beats a real arcade ball i prefer a smaller ball like a 2
incher as opposed to a huge ass missile command or one of them bowling
games they are just too massive to move out of the way of the speedy
spider on centipede