Wireless Networking a Mess

I have XP Home and XP Media Edition 2005. I already have them sharing a
wireless internet connection, but, I cannot make them network to each other
or the printer. The printer is also on a printer server in order to make it
ethernet compatible with the wireless router. Both computers are wireless to
the router. The networking wizard does not help at all. How do I fix this??
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless networking mess

    On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:49:39 -0700, CelebrityX23
    <CelebrityX23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have XP Home and XP Media Edition 2005. I already have them sharing a
    >wireless internet connection, but, I cannot make them network to each other
    >or the printer. The printer is also on a printer server in order to make it
    >ethernet compatible with the wireless router. Both computers are wireless to
    >the router. The networking wizard does not help at all. How do I fix this??

    What, exactly, are they doing or not doing?

    Provide ipconfig information for each computer, as a start.
    1) Start - Run - "cmd".
    2) Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command window.
    3) Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
    4) Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
    5) Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next post.
    6) Identify operating system (by name, version, and Service Pack level) with
    each ipconfig listing.
    7) Please don't munge or omit any detail, as a case like yours will best be
    resolved with details.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Now I am even more frustrated. The info you gave me earlier only worked on
    one of them. I even had to change it to get it to work. Here is some
    information that might be of assitance.

    Old PC: Windows XP Home Edition SP2
    New PC: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2 ( pro)

    Both of them recognize each other by name in "cmd" with actual IP addresses
    With MCE 2005, this is the only info that is missing or marked as "no"

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rachie022480

    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    > On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:49:39 -0700, CelebrityX23
    > <CelebrityX23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have XP Home and XP Media Edition 2005. I already have them sharing a
    > >wireless internet connection, but, I cannot make them network to each other
    > >or the printer. The printer is also on a printer server in order to make it
    > >ethernet compatible with the wireless router. Both computers are wireless to
    > >the router. The networking wizard does not help at all. How do I fix this??
    >
    > What, exactly, are they doing or not doing?
    >
    > Provide ipconfig information for each computer, as a start.
    > 1) Start - Run - "cmd".
    > 2) Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command window.
    > 3) Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT checked!.
    > 4) Open file c:\ipconfig.txt from Notepad.
    > 5) Copy and paste entire contents of the file into your next post.
    > 6) Identify operating system (by name, version, and Service Pack level) with
    > each ipconfig listing.
    > 7) Please don't munge or omit any detail, as a case like yours will best be
    > resolved with details.
    >
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Chuck
    > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    > Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
    > My email is AT DOT
    > actual address pchuck sonic net.

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:53:29 -0700, CelebrityX23
    <CelebrityX23@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Now I am even more frustrated. The info you gave me earlier only worked on
    >one of them. I even had to change it to get it to work. Here is some
    >information that might be of assitance.
    >
    >Old PC: Windows XP Home Edition SP2
    >New PC: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 SP2 ( pro)
    >
    >Both of them recognize each other by name in "cmd" with actual IP addresses
    >With MCE 2005, this is the only info that is missing or marked as "no"
    >
    >Windows IP Configuration
    >

    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rachie022480
    >
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    >
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

    So exactly what content do you get in c:\ipconfig.txt on both computers? I can
    help you a lot more if you'll provide what's needed.

    What did you have to change to get it to work?

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

Wireless Networking Printers Wireless Networking