Newbie Question on RAM

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2004 3:13:15 PM

Please pardon my ignorance on this subject.

I'd like to upgrade my system from 1 GIG of RAM to 2 GIGs of RAM. I
found some RAM that seems great, but I don't know if it's compatible
with my existing RAM. Can someone please help?

Here is my info. The RAM I think I'd like to buy is:

Kingston Hyperx Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-4000
Speed: DDR500(PC4000)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3-4-4-8-1T
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 4.0GB/s

According to PC Wizard my Memory Controller Information is:
Memory Controller : SIMM, DIMM
Number of connectors : 4
Max. Module Size : 512 MB
Max. Memory Size : 2048 MB
Supported Speed : 70ns, 60ns
Supported Voltages : 3.3v
Error Detection Method : 64-bit ECC
Error Correction Capability : Unspecified
Current/Supported Interleave : 1-way/1-way

Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz)

Questions:
1) I have 2 PC3200 RAMs but according to the PC Diagnotics Tool (PC
Wizard), it says each one of these is set to 200 MHz. I thought PC3200
= 400MHz?

2) I know the Kingston PC4000 RAM is superior to my current RAM, and
if I run it with my current RAM, it'll only run as fast as my current
RAM.But until I also replace my current RAM with 2 other PC4000
modules, can I still run the Kingston with my current RAM?

3) Is there more info you need from my system to figure out if the
Kingston can work with my current set of RAM?

More about : newbie question ram

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 27, 2004 10:18:54 PM

p.s. Let me know if you need more info on my motherboard, chipset, or
whatever. Again I'm a newbie when it comes to the very technical
hardware issues.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2004 12:25:24 AM

Post the rest of your PC specs. Motherboard especially.
DDR3200 is the same as 400 FSB. The FSB runs at 200 x 2=400 FSB.
It looks like your current ram is ecc which is error correction. It uses an
extra bit to verify data. It can slow things up minimally.
The two types of ram should work together but you may have to turn of ecc.
But,you need to make sure that your motherboard supports any ram other than
ecc. I know some of the early boards for the Athlon 64 and FX-53 only supported
ECC ram.
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2004 5:44:58 AM

"Jaxim" <mr_nice_1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> p.s. Let me know if you need more info on my motherboard, chipset, or
> whatever. Again I'm a newbie when it comes to the very technical
> hardware issues.

Okay, how about some info then.
CPU?
Motherboard?
Videocard?

What's your budget? And (perhaps most importantly) what are you planning to
do? Gaming? Video editing? That's a lot of RAM. Maybe replacing your
existing memory with some lower latency modules would be more beneficial.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2004 11:45:11 AM

I'm not sure what ECC is, but here are more specs on my machine which
I bought last January:

CPU:
Pentium 4 - 3.2GHz
voltage - 3.3V

Mainboard: (ASUSTek Computer Inc.)
Product - P4SD-VX

Videocard: Radeon 9800 Pro

Misc:
Bus Speed - 798 MHz
front side AND memory bus speeds - 199.5 MHz

If the above isn't enough info, let me know what you need specifically
in order to answer my question. As for your other questions, I'm a
graphic designer so I use the computer for programs like Photoshop (a
RAM hog), Flash, Illustrator, etc. I also use it as a PVR to record
and watch TV and DVDs. Money is a bit of an object so that's why I'm
thinking of getting a good set of 1 GIG RAM now and then evetually
replace the manufacturer's PC3200 RAM latter on. (A sort of a self
lay-away program) Please let me know if my computer could even handle
the superior RAM. And please be gentle with me when using the
technical jargon (i.e. latency), as my level of hardware knowledge is
probably only intermediate at best.

Thanks!!!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2004 5:05:40 AM

"I of the Storm" <startafight@BOOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Jaxim" <mr_nice_1973@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > p.s. Let me know if you need more info on my motherboard, chipset, or
> > whatever. Again I'm a newbie when it comes to the very technical
> > hardware issues.
>
> Okay, how about some info then.
> CPU?
> Motherboard?
> Videocard?
>
> What's your budget? And (perhaps most importantly) what are you planning
> do? Gaming? Video editing? That's a lot of RAM. Maybe replacing your
> existing memory with some lower latency modules would be more beneficial.

For me that system would be a dream, I love Video editing, re-encoding,
Capturing,, etc, etc.
For Video Gaming, I would rather have a AMD any day.

RavingRaichu. (Denny,,, Always with a smile, even if times are
bad.)
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2004 2:28:14 PM

is there anything else you need to know?
!