Overclocking Geforce 6800 GT

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

I really wanted an ULTRA, but the delays with ALL stores I tried pissed me
off, so I bought the 6800 GT 256.

Anyway, out of the box I overclocked from 350 to 400, and the memory from 1
to 1.1.
Completed half life 2 on 1280 x 1024 maximum details, 8X anti a and 16X
filtering, all with no slow down (except for the Audio Stutter, a known
bug).

Its not nescessarry, but what do you think would happen if I tried to
overclock it some more?

Gary..

"Gary" <gary@garywhittle.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I really wanted an ULTRA, but the delays with ALL stores I tried pissed me
> off, so I bought the 6800 GT 256.
>
> Anyway, out of the box I overclocked from 350 to 400, and the memory from
> 1 to 1.1.
> Completed half life 2 on 1280 x 1024 maximum details, 8X anti a and 16X
> filtering, all with no slow down (except for the Audio Stutter, a known
> bug).
>
> Its not nescessarry, but what do you think would happen if I tried to
> overclock it some more?
>
> Gary..

You may see some improvement in benchmarks, but I bet you won't notice
anything during a game. That's already a nice overclock. If your case has
proper cooling, you might be able to go further. But really, why bother?
First you might see visual artifacts, then you might get random crashes, or
(worst case) you might melt the damn thing. I say leave it where it is.

$0.02