Newbe-How do I know my computer is running at 800Mhz FSB?

Hello,

Just got my new computer up and running. I went to a web site that checks
your system. I can't remember the web site, but it said my bus speed was
200MHz. I was expecting to see 800MHz. What's up?

Motherboard: Asus P4P800S, 800MHz FSB

Chipset: Intel 848P MCH

CPU: Intel P4 3E Ghz, 1MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB, PGA-478 Pkg

Memory: 512 MB, PC3200, DDR400

Video: Sapphire, Radeon 9200 SE Atlantis, Graphics by ATI, 128MB DDR

OS: Win XP Pro SP2

Sincerely,

Injam

> Just got my new computer up and running. I went to a web site that checks
> your system. I can't remember the web site, but it said my bus speed was
> 200MHz. I was expecting to see 800MHz. What's up?

The P4's FSB is 'quad-pumped' - a 200 MHz FSB P4 has an effective data
transfer rate of 800 million transfers/second (no idea about the bus
width - can't give you a number in terms of data) even though the FSB
clock is 200 MHz.

So are you telling me that my FSB is running at 800MHz?

Sincerely,

Injam

"BananaOfTheNight" <bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote in
message news:cnvnvl$8d2$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
>> Just got my new computer up and running. I went to a web site that checks
>> your system. I can't remember the web site, but it said my bus speed was
>> 200MHz. I was expecting to see 800MHz. What's up?
>
> The P4's FSB is 'quad-pumped' - a 200 MHz FSB P4 has an effective data
> transfer rate of 800 million transfers/second (no idea about the bus
> width - can't give you a number in terms of data) even though the FSB
> clock is 200 MHz.

Bus speed 200 and FSB (bus between your CPU & Memory) 800. That is if
you are using PC3200 memory, As stated below your CPU (P4) is quad
pumped and the PC3200 can easily match the CPU speed at 1:1. If you
are using PC2700 then the FSB will be 533 at 1:1 , the lowest common
denominator rules.

Locust

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:42:15 GMT, "Injam" <bransum@peoplepc.com>
wrote:

>So are you telling me that my FSB is running at 800MHz?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Injam
>
>"BananaOfTheNight" <bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote in
>message news:cnvnvl$8d2$1@gemini.csx.cam.ac.uk...
>>> Just got my new computer up and running. I went to a web site that checks
>>> your system. I can't remember the web site, but it said my bus speed was
>>> 200MHz. I was expecting to see 800MHz. What's up?
>>
>> The P4's FSB is 'quad-pumped' - a 200 MHz FSB P4 has an effective data
>> transfer rate of 800 million transfers/second (no idea about the bus
>> width - can't give you a number in terms of data) even though the FSB
>> clock is 200 MHz.

> So are you telling me that my FSB is running at 800MHz?

From a pure technical point of view, the FSB is 200 MHz - as that is
the frequency that the clock generator is putting out.

However, for all practical purposes, you are correct - the FSB of your
CPU is 800 MHz because it can make a data transfer 800 million times per
second.

"Injam" <bransum@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Just got my new computer up and running. I went to a web site that checks
> your system. I can't remember the web site, but it said my bus speed was
> 200MHz. I was expecting to see 800MHz. What's up?
>
> Motherboard: Asus P4P800S, 800MHz FSB
>
> Chipset: Intel 848P MCH
>
> CPU: Intel P4 3E Ghz, 1MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB, PGA-478 Pkg
>
> Memory: 512 MB, PC3200, DDR400
>
> Video: Sapphire, Radeon 9200 SE Atlantis, Graphics by ATI, 128MB DDR
>
> OS: Win XP Pro SP2

Run CPU-Z: http://www.cpuid.com/

and the 'clouds' disappear....:)

Gr. Jan

Thanks to all.

Y'all have a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

Sincerely,
Injam