How much benefit from 1 gig of ram?

I've currently got 512 mb 3200 ram, Corsair Valueselect on a Shuttle AN35N
mobo, with a Barton 2500+ mobile overclocked to 2.3Ghz. My video card is an
Asus 9950 (nVidia 5900 Ultra) with 256 mb ram onboard. For games like
FarCry and HL2, I'm wondering how much difference, if any, another 512 mb
ram would make. Particularly for load times. Right now, it takes about 30
seconds (estimate) to load HL2, and another 20seconds to load the levels.
If I put an identical stick in there, it will run dual-channel, btw. I'm
just wondering if it's worth it to throw down the $77 now, or just wait a
year until I make the next upgrade to a 64-bit chip.

Thanks,
Matty

> I've currently got 512 mb 3200 ram, Corsair Valueselect on a Shuttle AN35N
> mobo, with a Barton 2500+ mobile overclocked to 2.3Ghz. My video card is
an
> Asus 9950 (nVidia 5900 Ultra) with 256 mb ram onboard. For games like
> FarCry and HL2, I'm wondering how much difference, if any, another 512 mb
> ram would make.

Watch your system monitor, and see if you start swapping. If you do, the
extra RAM will likely help.

steve

Particularly for load times. Right now, it takes about 30
> seconds (estimate) to load HL2, and another 20seconds to load the levels.
> If I put an identical stick in there, it will run dual-channel, btw. I'm
> just wondering if it's worth it to throw down the $77 now, or just wait a
> year until I make the next upgrade to a 64-bit chip.
>
> Thanks,
> Matty

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Matty Anderson" <mattya25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've currently got 512 mb 3200 ram, Corsair Valueselect on a Shuttle AN35N
> mobo, with a Barton 2500+ mobile overclocked to 2.3Ghz. My video card is
> an
> Asus 9950 (nVidia 5900 Ultra) with 256 mb ram onboard. For games like
> FarCry and HL2, I'm wondering how much difference, if any, another 512 mb
> ram would make. Particularly for load times. Right now, it takes about
> 30
> seconds (estimate) to load HL2, and another 20seconds to load the levels.
> If I put an identical stick in there, it will run dual-channel, btw. I'm
> just wondering if it's worth it to throw down the $77 now, or just wait a
> year until I make the next upgrade to a 64-bit chip.
>
> Thanks,
> Matty

Adding more RAM may help with smoothness of the gameplay but it mosty likely
will not help with load times.
Going to a gig did make Farcry play much better for me. Never tried HL2
with 512.

Matt,

Sorta OT, but on the value select, the label should read the lot number.
Make sure you get another stick of the same lot number for dual channel
operation. :)

"Matty Anderson" <mattya25@hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:3150b8F3727d7U1@individual.net ¤¤¼¶¼g...