usb port error can't install printer

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 9, 2004 2:47:34 AM

Hi

I am attempting to install a Lexmark and or a HP USB printer. In either case
it loads so far then errors out claiming a USB port error.

I have removed the USB to reinstall the drivers. I also tried installing the
software prior to plugging in the printer. Also tried plugging in the
printer and using XP's driver with the same results. A new cable and
different ports were tried with the same results

Any advised appreciated

Rick
August 9, 2004 3:05:19 AM

I forgot to add there is nothing error out in the device manager and
anything else plugged into the ports works fine

"Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am attempting to install a Lexmark and or a HP USB printer. In either
case
> it loads so far then errors out claiming a USB port error.
>
> I have removed the USB to reinstall the drivers. I also tried installing
the
> software prior to plugging in the printer. Also tried plugging in the
> printer and using XP's driver with the same results. A new cable and
> different ports were tried with the same results
>
> Any advised appreciated
>
> Rick

Anonymous
August 10, 2004 6:47:38 AM

Rick wrote:
> I forgot to add there is nothing error out in the device manager and
> anything else plugged into the ports works fine
>

> "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi
>>
>>I am attempting to install a Lexmark and or a HP USB printer. In either
>
> case
>
>>it loads so far then errors out claiming a USB port error.
>>
>>I have removed the USB to reinstall the drivers. I also tried installing
>
> the
>
>>software prior to plugging in the printer. Also tried plugging in the
>>printer and using XP's driver with the same results. A new cable and
>>different ports were tried with the same results
>>
>>Any advised appreciated
>>
>>Rick
How old is your Lexmark?
Sounds like Xp does not have a driver for your Lexmark Model.
Your Printer Driver may not be Xp compatible if it is fairly old.
Try visiting the Lexmark website for their latest driver.
Ask SUPPORT if your model is Xp Compatible.
Bob Williams
Anonymous
August 13, 2004 12:40:02 PM

"Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am attempting to install a Lexmark and or a HP USB printer. In either case
> it loads so far then errors out claiming a USB port error.
>
> I have removed the USB to reinstall the drivers. I also tried installing the
> software prior to plugging in the printer. Also tried plugging in the
> printer and using XP's driver with the same results. A new cable and
> different ports were tried with the same results

Since you are having problems with two different printers from different
manufacturers I would expect you have a problem with your USB port. See the
following for tips on troubleshooting USB issues:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging
!