solar panel to run a hp ipaq 2210/2215

a b α HP
August 1, 2004 1:09:22 PM

Hello

I am looking for a solar panel to recharge or possibly run an
ipaq 2210/2215. I got my eye on this one
http://www.icpsolar.com/ssfamille.php3?id_rubrique=14

The problem I am having is fiquring out the volts, watts and amp.

The charger that came with the pda says the output is 5volts but most
pv units are 6volts and up. Will this harm my pda?

The charger output is also 2 amps (2000 milli amps???) so would
charging the pda at a much lower amperage 290 for example harm the
pda?

Or it as simple as finding a pv panel that has the right wattage? In
my case 10 watts.

Thanks a bunch for any help you folks can give.
August 1, 2004 1:09:23 PM

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 09:09:22 -0300, "johnson.."
<merifreekinxmas@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Hello
>
>I am looking for a solar panel to recharge or possibly run an
>ipaq 2210/2215. I got my eye on this one
>http://www.icpsolar.com/ssfamille.php3?id_rubrique=14

Seems like a lot of extra gear and bother IUAM... Why not just get a
couple of extra high-capacity batteries?

A_C
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 1, 2004 2:00:24 PM

Well, I have one of those. It was a gift and I never did much with it.
Thought I'd give it a shot on my 2215 since you asked. I hooked it up and it
does appear to be charging my 2215 fine. Light is blinking and the power
panel reads 'charging'. The 2215 was at 56% so it is a good sign that this
may work down at a fair amount of discharge, which some USB chargers seem to
have trouble with. I was able to turn the 2215 on with full backlight to
look at the control panels and the charge light blinks and it reads charging
while running. I have turned it off to let it charge with no extra drain.
I will check back later and see if it actually was able to charge.

It is a nice sunny Colorado day here, so that has some affect I'm sure. It's
9:50 AM and the window faces East, so that is pretty optimum.

As far as volts, amps, etc, you can have too much or too little volts, but
there is some leeway built into most systems. The charger has to be able to
deliver enough amps to charge the device, but the device will not draw more
amps than required, given the correct voltage. So volts are pretty important
to get right, and amps on the charger just needs to be more than enough for
the device. A lower amp rating either won't charge or will damage the
charger. While I wouldn't offhand recommend to someone to go buy a 6v
charger for a PPC, since they normally come with 5 to 5.4v chargers, I
wouldn't hesitate to try it on one of my own. I'd keep an eye on whether the
battery was getting overly warm while charging. In this case, since we are
talking about the same solar charger and PPC, if mine works OK, I'd say it
is OK.

I'll drop in later and let you know how it comes out.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"johnson.." <merifreekinxmas@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am looking for a solar panel to recharge or possibly run an
> ipaq 2210/2215. I got my eye on this one
> http://www.icpsolar.com/ssfamille.php3?id_rubrique=14
>
> The problem I am having is fiquring out the volts, watts and amp.
>
> The charger that came with the pda says the output is 5volts but most
> pv units are 6volts and up. Will this harm my pda?
>
> The charger output is also 2 amps (2000 milli amps???) so would
> charging the pda at a much lower amperage 290 for example harm the
> pda?
>
> Or it as simple as finding a pv panel that has the right wattage? In
> my case 10 watts.
>
> Thanks a bunch for any help you folks can give.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 1, 2004 2:52:33 PM

Well, it's 10:50 AM and we are down to 45%...so I guess that would be a no,
this isn't going to work all that well. Guess I'm actually feeding power
back to the sun. Someday long into the future, they'll thank me for that.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, I have one of those. It was a gift and I never did much with it.
> Thought I'd give it a shot on my 2215 since you asked. I hooked it up and
it
> does appear to be charging my 2215 fine. Light is blinking and the power
> panel reads 'charging'. The 2215 was at 56% so it is a good sign that this
> may work down at a fair amount of discharge, which some USB chargers seem
> have trouble with. I was able to turn the 2215 on with full backlight to
> look at the control panels and the charge light blinks and it reads
charging
> while running. I have turned it off to let it charge with no extra drain.
> I will check back later and see if it actually was able to charge.
>
> It is a nice sunny Colorado day here, so that has some affect I'm sure.
It's
> 9:50 AM and the window faces East, so that is pretty optimum.
>
> As far as volts, amps, etc, you can have too much or too little volts, but
> there is some leeway built into most systems. The charger has to be able
> deliver enough amps to charge the device, but the device will not draw
more
> amps than required, given the correct voltage. So volts are pretty
important
> to get right, and amps on the charger just needs to be more than enough
for
> the device. A lower amp rating either won't charge or will damage the
> charger. While I wouldn't offhand recommend to someone to go buy a 6v
> charger for a PPC, since they normally come with 5 to 5.4v chargers, I
> wouldn't hesitate to try it on one of my own. I'd keep an eye on whether
the
> battery was getting overly warm while charging. In this case, since we
are
> talking about the same solar charger and PPC, if mine works OK, I'd say it
> is OK.
>
> I'll drop in later and let you know how it comes out.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "johnson.." <merifreekinxmas@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I am looking for a solar panel to recharge or possibly run an
> > ipaq 2210/2215. I got my eye on this one
> > http://www.icpsolar.com/ssfamille.php3?id_rubrique=14
> >
> > The problem I am having is fiquring out the volts, watts and amp.
> >
> > The charger that came with the pda says the output is 5volts but most
> > pv units are 6volts and up. Will this harm my pda?
> >
> > The charger output is also 2 amps (2000 milli amps???) so would
> > charging the pda at a much lower amperage 290 for example harm the
> > pda?
> >
> > Or it as simple as finding a pv panel that has the right wattage? In
> > my case 10 watts.
> >
> > Thanks a bunch for any help you folks can give.

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 1, 2004 8:43:44 PM

Hi Sven
Thanks for the experiment and the info. I guess there isn't a backflow
diode or whatever it is called in the pv panel?

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o a9dyf%23dEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > "johnson.." <merifreekinxmas@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I am looking for a solar panel to recharge or possibly run an
> > > ipaq 2210/2215. I got my eye on this one
> > > http://www.icpsolar.com/ssfamille.php3?id_rubrique=14
> > >
> > > The problem I am having is fiquring out the volts, watts and amp.
> > >
> > > The charger that came with the pda says the output is 5volts but most
> > > pv units are 6volts and up. Will this harm my pda?
> > >
> > > The charger output is also 2 amps (2000 milli amps???) so would
> > > charging the pda at a much lower amperage 290 for example harm the
> > > pda?
> > >
> > > Or it as simple as finding a pv panel that has the right wattage? In
> > > my case 10 watts.
> > >
> > > Thanks a bunch for any help you folks can give.

August 1, 2004 8:43:45 PM

Guess not. Not really enthused enough with the thing to stick a voltmeter
and ammeter on it to see what it can really do.

--
> [...]
> > > to get right, and amps on the charger just needs to be more than
enough
> > for
> > > the device. A lower amp rating either won't charge or will damage the
> > > charger. While I wouldn't offhand recommend to someone to go buy a 6v
> > > charger for a PPC, since they normally come with 5 to 5.4v chargers, I
> > > wouldn't hesitate to try it on one of my own. I'd keep an eye on
whether
> > the
> > > battery was getting overly warm while charging. In this case, since
we
> > are
> > > talking about the same solar charger and PPC, if mine works OK, I'd
say
> it
> > > is OK.
> > >
> > > I'll drop in later and let you know how it comes out.

August 2, 2004 12:05:39 AM

looking around on the radio shack site for ni-hm batteries and chargers as
an alternative recharge source and found this:
http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=e...

or http://tinyurl.com/6gsr3

> Guess not. Not really enthused enough with the thing to stick a voltmeter
> and ammeter on it to see what it can really do.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "johnson.." <merifreekinxmas@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi Sven
> > Thanks for the experiment and the info. I guess there isn't a
backflow
> > diode or whatever it is called in the pv panel?
> >
> > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o a9dyf%23dEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > Well, it's 10:50 AM and we are down to 45%...so I guess that would be
> > no,
> > > this isn't going to work all that well. Guess I'm actually feeding
power
> > > back to the sun. Someday long into the future, they'll thank me for
> that.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > and
> > > it
> power
> > this
> > seem
> > > charging
> > drain.

> sure.
> > > It's

> > but
> > able
> > > more
> > > important
> enough
> > > for
> whether
> > > the
> we
> > > are
> say
> > it

> most

In

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 3, 2004 1:27:33 AM

Actually that is not an uncommon thought. There are several things like this
(http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?product_ID=USB-...) around
that you could couple with an inexpensive battery charger. For traveling I'd
throw the charger and spare batteries in the luggage and just carry this
pack.

--
> looking around on the radio shack site for ni-hm batteries and chargers as
> an alternative recharge source and found this:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=e...

> or http://tinyurl.com/6gsr3
>
> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Guess not. Not really enthused enough with the thing to stick a
voltmeter
> > and ammeter on it to see what it can really do.
> >
> > --
> > Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> > "johnson.." <merifreekinxmas@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > > Hi Sven
> > > Thanks for the experiment and the info. I guess there isn't a
> backflow
> > > diode or whatever it is called in the pv panel?
> > >
> > > "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o a9dyf%23dEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > no,
> power
> > that.

> it.
> up
> > > and
> > power
> that
> > > this
> > > seem
> backlight
> > > drain.

> > sure.

> volts,
> > > but
> > > able
> draw
> > enough
> the
> 6v
> > whether
> > we
I'd
> > say
> > > it

> > most

> In

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 3, 2004 6:44:16 PM

Sven is correct on the Watts vs. amps question. Most devices have
voltage limiters to prevent too much current from frying the
device--these limiters, however will not stop say 120 volts from frying
your 5 volt device, as 120 volts is too hot for the limiter. Amps is
the amount of current drawn by the device. If your device's amp rating
is greater than the charging device, then you will be feeding the
current back. Most useful solar devices have capacitors or diodes to
prevent backflow from discharging your device when the sun goes down or
when a cloud passes over, or when the amperage rating is less than the
charging device.

It would be fun to experiment, if you have the time with various PV
solutions, because panels are much cheaper than commercial devices.
I've played around enough to learn a little. The only drawback I found
is: PDA's don't appreciate the sunshine as much as the solar charging
panel. make sure you cover your PDA and protect it from cooking.

My only trouble is I let the solar bug bite me in a big way, and now I
fiddle with the stuff for my house too. Needless to say, I like
computer devices with voltage inverters like laptops and LCD displays
because they draw 12 volts natively, and that makes a "cheaper"
conversion (no thermal "cost") than that desktop PC, server, or
monitor!

That said here's some resources to peruse:
http://tinyurl.com/3la77
http://tinyurl.com/36mpr
http://tinyurl.com/69rsa
Solar Jacket - solar zip-pouch -
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/342/C2373/#
My favorite source for cheap PV (watch out, cheap PV sometimes
translates into high solar requirements (lotsa sunshine)).
http://www.plastecs.com
'brick' USB charger - http://tinyurl.com/42tlo
flexible, plastic solar - http://tinyurl.com/5s8dq
two-years later - http://tinyurl.com/4w2hp

Generally speaking a 12 volt solar panel will provide 12 volt direct
current, of which your PDA will draw only what's needed. make sure
your amperage is above what your device is rated at. Usually these
specs may be obtained in the Technical Info of the manual or from the
manufacturer. Good luck! Always err on the side of safety!

--
idiesel
idiesel's Profile: http://www.ppczone.net/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&...

wow!!! great links, thanks

"idiesel" <idiesel.1afepj@timelimit.yourserver.com> wrote in message

> Sven is correct on the Watts vs. amps question. Most devices have
> voltage limiters to prevent too much current from frying the
> device--these limiters, however will not stop say 120 volts from frying
> your 5 volt device, as 120 volts is too hot for the limiter. Amps is
> the amount of current drawn by the device. If your device's amp rating
> is greater than the charging device, then you will be feeding the
> current back. Most useful solar devices have capacitors or diodes to
> prevent backflow from discharging your device when the sun goes down or
> when a cloud passes over, or when the amperage rating is less than the
> charging device.
>
> It would be fun to experiment, if you have the time with various PV
> solutions, because panels are much cheaper than commercial devices.
> I've played around enough to learn a little. The only drawback I found
> is: PDA's don't appreciate the sunshine as much as the solar charging
> panel. make sure you cover your PDA and protect it from cooking.
>
> My only trouble is I let the solar bug bite me in a big way, and now I
> fiddle with the stuff for my house too. Needless to say, I like
> computer devices with voltage inverters like laptops and LCD displays
> because they draw 12 volts natively, and that makes a "cheaper"
> conversion (no thermal "cost") than that desktop PC, server, or
> monitor!
>
> That said here's some resources to peruse:
> http://tinyurl.com/3la77
> http://tinyurl.com/36mpr
> http://tinyurl.com/69rsa
> Solar Jacket - solar zip-pouch -
> http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/342/C2373/#
> My favorite source for cheap PV (watch out, cheap PV sometimes
> translates into high solar requirements (lotsa sunshine)).
> http://www.plastecs.com
> 'brick' USB charger - http://tinyurl.com/42tlo
> flexible, plastic solar - http://tinyurl.com/5s8dq
> two-years later - http://tinyurl.com/4w2hp
>
> Generally speaking a 12 volt solar panel will provide 12 volt direct
> current, of which your PDA will draw only what's needed. make sure
> your amperage is above what your device is rated at. Usually these
> specs may be obtained in the Technical Info of the manual or from the
> manufacturer. Good luck! Always err on the side of safety!
>

> --
> idiesel
> idiesel's Profile:
http://www.ppczone.net/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&...
> View this thread:
http://www.ppczone.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=19...

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 3, 2004 10:43:56 PM

Cool, thanks
> Actually that is not an uncommon thought. There are several things like
this
> (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?product_ID=USB-...) around
> that you could couple with an inexpensive battery charger. For traveling
I'd
> throw the charger and spare batteries in the luggage and just carry this
> pack.
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "johnson.." <merifreekinxmas@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > looking around on the radio shack site for ni-hm batteries and chargers
as
> > an alternative recharge source and found this:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=e...

> > or http://tinyurl.com/6gsr3

August 5, 2004 1:53:35 AM

I have an iSun solar panel which gives out either 6 or 12v.
It comes complete with a set of different sized connector plugs, a
cigarette lighter socket and even a Nokia phone connector.

All you need is one of those USB (sync)/charger cables (e.g. Belkin)
with a 12v plug and off you go. It's nice and light and compact as
well.

Works fine.
No need to worry about volts and amps.
All you need is sunshine ;-)

I got mine from www.maplin.co.uk and I'm sure it's available from
other places.

Richard.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 09:09:22 -0300, "johnson.."
<merifreekinxmas@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Hello
>
>I am looking for a solar panel to recharge or possibly run an
>ipaq 2210/2215. I got my eye on this one
>http://www.icpsolar.com/ssfamille.php3?id_rubrique=14
>
>The problem I am having is fiquring out the volts, watts and amp.
>
>The charger that came with the pda says the output is 5volts but most
>pv units are 6volts and up. Will this harm my pda?
>
>The charger output is also 2 amps (2000 milli amps???) so would
>charging the pda at a much lower amperage 290 for example harm the
>pda?
>
>Or it as simple as finding a pv panel that has the right wattage? In
>my case 10 watts.
>
>Thanks a bunch for any help you folks can give.

Anonymous
a b α HP
August 7, 2004 1:53:33 PM

You've tried this with a PPC? As I said above. set on 6V it wouldn't charge
the 2215, though the power display did recognize that external power was
being applied, and the power light blinked. It actually seemed to accelerate
the discharge.

I have your suggestion set up. with the solar charger set to 12V, and the
car adapter plugged into the supplied car socket. The 2215 doesn't even
acknowledge the external source in this case.

This certainly makes sense to me. I would think the power that is delivered
by the solar cell would be fairly consistent. That would mean at twice the
voltage, it would deliver half the current. Beyond that you are adding the
inefficiency of the 12V to 5-6V car adapter, reducing the available charge
current even more.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!