Well featured mobo for cost-effective PC?

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,aus.ads.forsale.computers.new (More info?)

I've been charged with building a PC for a friend for general use -
internet, games, office applications. It doesn't need to be cutting edge,
but I'd rather not use an integrated video card or Celeron processor. The
budget extends to around $1200 Australian (c. $800 US), but if I can keep it
low enough, a 17" LCD might be in the picture instead of a CRT, so there's
some motivation to keep the price down.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards a Socket 478 board such as the Abit IS7
or AI7, in combination with an overclocked 2.8Ghz P4. I really haven't kept
up with hardware over the last 6-12 months, but given the heat and pricing
issues of the latest Intel processors, I'm keen to stick with one of the 'C'
800fsb variety. I understand AMD are probably better bang for buck at the
moment, but chipset driver hassles and a lack of recent familiarity means
I'm inclined to stick with a Pentium. But if anyone can point me in the
direction of any recent developments which would let me do more for less,
I'm all ears.

All advice appreciated.

[All follow-ups set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk only]

"Jeff Conescu" <coneyg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been charged with building a PC for a friend for general use -
> internet, games, office applications. It doesn't need to be cutting edge,
> but I'd rather not use an integrated video card or Celeron processor. The
> budget extends to around $1200 Australian (c. $800 US), but if I can keep
it
> low enough, a 17" LCD might be in the picture instead of a CRT, so there's
> some motivation to keep the price down.
>
> At the moment, I'm leaning towards a Socket 478 board such as the Abit IS7
> or AI7, in combination with an overclocked 2.8Ghz P4. I really haven't
kept
> up with hardware over the last 6-12 months, but given the heat and pricing
> issues of the latest Intel processors, I'm keen to stick with one of the
'C'
> 800fsb variety. I understand AMD are probably better bang for buck at the

I'm using an AMD right now, and when it comes to temps where you live, you
want a
AMD, 2500+ M or something is what I would suggest.
A P4C may get to hot where you live, they cant cope with the high temps.
The P4 (Prescott)'s just run hot, reason is power, they need something like
103Wats
This is why they get soo hot.
Almost all the AMD Athlon's can run warmer then the P4c's and stay stable.
I've tested both my system's last summer under extreme conditions.
I left room temp get up to around 84ºF, then ran Sandra burn in test on
both.
I set it the same on both, + Both systems were Overclocked.
P4 2.6 C Overclocked to 3 Or so on z GHZ
AMD 2200+ Overclocked to 2.18 Or so on z GHZ
The AMD lasted the longest before it became unstable enough to restart.
It got through about 6 or 7 of the 10 tests.
The Intel just made it through 3.
Now, imagine if neither of the two systems were overclocked.
Room temp @ 73 or 70ºF, they both got through all 10 tests.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<Getting back to the point now>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If I were you, I would get one of the Asus A7N8X boards.
It's not the best video cards out there, and only 4x, but if you could find
Radeon 9000 (used), that would keep things cheap.
You don't really need to buy a sound card, but if you were to get one, I
would go
with a Creative SB Audigy LS They are a some what cheap sound card, but
still sound nice.
I should know, I do have one of everything I've listed so far, or did.
I gave my Radeon 9000 to my step nephew with an MSI Combo board.
Also a 2000+ chip, and 256Mb ram, 120GB drive, and cd-rom.
Together with a 350 W PSU.

If you really want to go with Intel, be my guest.
Get one of the better boards to the Gigabyte 8IG1000 Pro
There's more then one of them, and trust me, Intel Extreme Grapgics are not
the best,
but it's good for the money.

Then you only need
"" You'll need these for either of the two systems, I think you know this
though. ""
"Ram, cd-rom, HDD of some kind, Case, and PSU."
Unless you can take it from a system you already have.

Anyways, I hope this helps, and if you need anything else, just ask.
If you want to know about Overclocking, this is the group for it.
And the A7N8X line is good for it. (AMD)
Anything Better then a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro is good for this too.
(Intel P4 C & E)

No_ONE_Here
Please some1 tell him not to cross post so much,,
and how did this even get here, I cant find the name in the cross posting
@ all...