Overclocking an Athlon XP-M 2600

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2004 5:32:20 AM

Hi,

I've just received the above cpu plus the NF7-S mobo and a TT volcano
11+ cooling kit and waiting for the memory modules to start assembling
the system.

The code on the cpu package says this can support up to 100°C but I've
read on various forums that one should not allow it to go beyond
55°C. Can please anybody tell me what is the normal / acceptable
temperature for the cpu ?

I would also like to know which is the acceptable vcore so that the
cpu can last a few years. This is a 47 watts version at 1.45v and
2.133ghz stock frequency. I am intending to get around 2.5 to 2.6 ghz.

Stepping info: AXMG2600FQQ4C / IQYHA 0431CPEW

Any guidance will be welcome.

Regards.

FSK
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2004 3:19:47 PM

> I've just received the above cpu plus the NF7-S mobo and a TT volcano
> 11+ cooling kit and waiting for the memory modules to start assembling
> the system.
>
> The code on the cpu package says this can support up to 100°C but I've
> read on various forums that one should not allow it to go beyond
> 55°C. Can please anybody tell me what is the normal / acceptable
> temperature for the cpu ?
>
> I would also like to know which is the acceptable vcore so that the
> cpu can last a few years. This is a 47 watts version at 1.45v and
> 2.133ghz stock frequency. I am intending to get around 2.5 to 2.6 ghz.

The normal Vcore for Barton-cored Athlons is is between 1.5 to 1.65, so
it's a given that it'll handle that with no problem whatsoever, and 1.7 or
1.75 is still just fine - but heat will increase.

Since you've got an unlocked chip, drop the multiplier and work on your
memory/FSB until you get it as high as you can go, and THEN work the
multiplier upwards. To get a system that is rock-solid under all
applications at 2.5 to 2.6 GHz, you will need very good air cooling, with a
lot of people at that range using water.

steve
!