Decent mobo with integrated graphics & AGP

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi all,

I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment, but
wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's after
decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking for
either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked CPU
for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about boards
with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.

Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?
17 answers Last reply
More about decent mobo integrated graphics
  1. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Biostar M7NCG 400

    NForce 2 w/GeForce 4 MMX integrated graphics (up to 128MB shared memory)

    AGP 8x slot

    5.1 sound and onboard LAN

    very stable and reliable

    Fitz
  2. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Jetway make good ones

    "]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    > but
    > wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
    > video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    > after
    > decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking
    > for
    > either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked
    > CPU
    > for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about boards
    > with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    > i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    > graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?

  3. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    but
    > wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
    > video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    after
    > decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking
    for
    > either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked
    CPU
    > for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about boards
    > with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    > i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    > graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?

    I've used a very good number of Abit NF7-M boards over the year, they've
    been great performers, very reliable, and pretty decent at overclocking, as
    far as IGP boards go. They'll definitely play WarCraft III with all
    settings on high with the integrated video, which is pretty decent.

    steve
  4. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    but
    > wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
    > video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    after
    > decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking
    for
    > either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked
    CPU
    > for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about boards
    > with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    > i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    > graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?

    I've so often recommended the Biostar M7NCG-400 for just such a
    purpose that I'm beginning to sound like a salesman for Biostar. I've used
    many of these boards and haven't had any problem or regrets. Kony
    reported some problem a few days ago in alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
    with certain memory settings but I haven't had any myself.

    nForce2 IGP, TV-out, decent sound, LAN, 8x AGP slot, etc. It's
    significantly cheaper than the similar Asus A7N8X-VM but has better
    features. No SATA, Firewire or RAID, but then you don't seem to be
    looking for a high-end board.
  5. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message

    " Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades? "

    A while ago I replied to a similar query on usenet. I listed a number of
    400FSB Nforce2 motherboards for the OP to look at. I'm not making any
    specific recommendations with the following, so maybe you'd like to look
    them up yourself:

    Micro-ATX:

    - Albatron KM18G Pro http://snipurl.com/9aq0
    - AOpen MK79G-1394 http://snipurl.com/9ap6
    - AOpen MK79G-N http://snipurl.com/9apr
    - Asus A7N8X-VM http://snipurl.com/9aou
    - Asus A7N8X-VM/400 http://snipurl.com/9aov
    - Biostar M7NCG http://snipurl.com/9aq6
    - Biostar M7NCG-400 http://snipurl.com/9aq9
    - Biostar M7NCG-400 (7.x) http://snipurl.com/9aqe
    - Chaintech 7NIF2 http://snipurl.com/9aqs
    - Epox EP-8RGM3I http://snipurl.com/9arl
    - Epox EP-8RGMI http://snipurl.com/9arm
    - FIC K7M-NF18G http://snipurl.com/9asx
    - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18GM http://snipurl.com/9asu
    - MSI K7N2GM-IL http://snipurl.com/9atk
    - MSI K7N2GM-L http://snipurl.com/9atk
    - MSI K7N2GM2-ILSR http://snipurl.com/9atn
    - MSI K7N2GM2-LSR http://snipurl.com/9atn
    - Shuttle MN31L http://snipurl.com/9aoq
    - Shuttle MN31N http://snipurl.com/9aop

    ATX:

    - Abit NF7-M http://snipurl.com/9apt
    - AOpen AK79G Max http://snipurl.com/9apj
    - Aopen AK79G Tube http://snipurl.com/9apl
    - AOpen AK79G-1394 http://snipurl.com/9ape
    - AOpen AK79G-V http://snipurl.com/9app
    - AOpen AK79G-VN http://snipurl.com/9apq
    - Biostar M7NCG Pro http://snipurl.com/9aqb
    - Gigabyte GA-7N400V http://snipurl.com/9arx
    - Gigabyte GA-7N400V Pro http://snipurl.com/9art
    - Gigabyte GA-7N400V Pro2 http://snipurl.com/9aru
    - Gigabyte GA-7N400V-L http://snipurl.com/9as4
    - Gigabyte GA-7NNXPV http://snipurl.com/9ars
    - Jetway KOCAB18P http://snipurl.com/9atc
    - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G http://snipurl.com/9as9
    - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G-Pro http://snipurl.com/9asb
    - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G-ProII http://snipurl.com/9asf
    - MSI K7N2G-ILSR http://snipurl.com/9ati
    - MSI K7N2G-L http://snipurl.com/9ati
    - Soltek SL-75MRN http://snipurl.com/9ata
    - Soltek SL-75MRN-L http://snipurl.com/9ata
  6. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "David Hemingsley" <d.hemingsley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Jetway make good ones

    No they done. Jetway makes junk, always has.
  7. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    but
    > wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
    > video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    after
    > decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking
    for
    > either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked
    CPU
    > for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about boards
    > with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    > i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    > graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?

    it's cheaper to just buy a discounted emachine...
    you can't out price one by building it yourself.
    just adding a hi-end video card will not improve the entire system
    performance.

    you either pay the bucks for good gear or you stick with mediocre. don't mix
    the two.
    the monitor is what you will see the most, so go for quality and not price.

    -a|ex
  8. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message

    > it's cheaper to just buy a discounted emachine...
    > you can't out price one by building it yourself.
    > just adding a hi-end video card will not improve the entire system
    > performance.
    >
    > you either pay the bucks for good gear or you stick with mediocre. don't
    > mix
    > the two.
    > the monitor is what you will see the most, so go for quality and not
    > price.
    >
    > -a|ex

    More complete bullshit. The OP was trying to avoid junk. Like emachines...
  9. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    You can always Buy a better MOBO now without graphics and put in a cheap
    128MB Radeon Card and upgrade the video as and when required (much better in
    the long run than using a lower quality MOBO and regretting it later)

    "127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message

    > "]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    > but
    > > wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
    > > video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    > after
    > > decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking
    > for
    > > either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked
    > CPU
    > > for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about
    boards
    > > with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    > > i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    > > graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?
    >
    > it's cheaper to just buy a discounted emachine...
    > you can't out price one by building it yourself.
    > just adding a hi-end video card will not improve the entire system
    > performance.
    >
    > you either pay the bucks for good gear or you stick with mediocre. don't
    mix
    > the two.
    > the monitor is what you will see the most, so go for quality and not
    price.

    > -a|ex

  10. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    This is an older board but super cheap and reliable. It has video, lan and
    audio. The only draw back is if you upgrade video you would need to use pci,
    I don't think it has an agp.

    Intel 845 GVSRL
    Specifications -

    Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processors
    Chipset: Intel 845GV + ICH4
    FSB: 533/400MHz
    RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR333/266 Max 2GB
    IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
    Slots: 3x PCI
    Ports: 2xPS/2,1xVGA,1xCOM,1xLPT,1xLAN,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4), Audio Ports
    Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC202A 2-Channel Codec
    Onboard Video: Intel Extreme Graphics
    Onboard LAN: Intel 82562ET 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
    Form Factor: microATX

    "]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    > but
    > wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
    > video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    > after
    > decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking
    > for
    > either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked
    > CPU
    > for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about boards
    > with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    > i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    > graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?

  11. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Biostar????

    "Fitz" <akfitz@mtaonline.net> wrote in message
    > Biostar M7NCG 400
    >
    > NForce 2 w/GeForce 4 MMX integrated graphics (up to 128MB shared memory)
    >
    > AGP 8x slot
    >
    > 5.1 sound and onboard LAN
    >
    > very stable and reliable
    >
    > Fitz

  12. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Yes, Biostar.
    Take a look at their website.
    I'm running three of their boards and have had no problems with them at all.
    One is being used by a six year old- a good test of reliability.

    Their documentation is a little weak, but aside from that, it a good product
    and a great value for the money.

    Fitz
  13. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Jetway???

    "David Hemingsley" <d.hemingsley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Jetway make good ones
    >
    > "]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    >> but
    >> wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
    >> video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    >> after
    >> decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking
    >> for
    >> either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked
    >> CPU
    >> for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about
    >> boards
    >> with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    >> i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    >> graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?

  14. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "ImhoTech" <bobo@yoooddelers.net> wrote in message

    > "127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message
    > >
    > > it's cheaper to just buy a discounted emachine...
    > > you can't out price one by building it yourself.
    > > just adding a hi-end video card will not improve the entire system
    > > performance.
    > >
    > > you either pay the bucks for good gear or you stick with mediocre. don't
    > > mix
    > > the two.
    > > the monitor is what you will see the most, so go for quality and not
    > > price.
    > >
    > > -a|ex
    > >

    > More complete bullshit. The OP was trying to avoid junk. Like emachines...

    OP:
    > video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    after
    > decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system

    low-mid range system is junk...

    -a|ex
  15. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 21:20:25 GMT, "Tj" <tjtj1960@frontiernet.net.nospam>
    wrote:

    >This is an older board but super cheap and reliable. It has video, lan and
    >audio. The only draw back is if you upgrade video you would need to use pci,
    >I don't think it has an agp.
    >
    >Intel 845 GVSRL
    >Specifications -

    The 845GV chips do not support a AGP Slot, only the 845G.

    ASRock has a board that does, but its not called a AGP but AGI, but has the
    Dual Channel 865GV chipset, 800mhz clock

    http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4i65gv.htm

    >Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron Processors
    >Chipset: Intel 845GV + ICH4
    >FSB: 533/400MHz
    >RAM: 2x DIMM for DDR333/266 Max 2GB
    >IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
    >Slots: 3x PCI
    >Ports: 2xPS/2,1xVGA,1xCOM,1xLPT,1xLAN,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4), Audio Ports
    >Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC202A 2-Channel Codec
    >Onboard Video: Intel Extreme Graphics
    >Onboard LAN: Intel 82562ET 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
    >Form Factor: microATX
    >
    >"]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm building a PC for a mate who doesn't play many games at the moment,
    >> but
    >> wants to have the option of upgrading his system to accommodate a decent
    >> video card in the future should he get into games or video apps. He's
    >> after
    >> decent bang for buck in a low-mid range system. Accordingly, I'm looking
    >> for
    >> either an NForce2 or Intel 865/875 board to combine with an overclocked
    >> CPU
    >> for a good cost-effective system. Hard part is I know nothing about boards
    >> with integrated graphics having always avoided them like the plague.
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the NForce2 or
    >> i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which provides integrated
    >> graphics and an AGP slot for possible future upgrades?

  16. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
    > "]v[etaphoid" <met@phoid.comedy> wrote in message
    >
    > " Can anyone recommend a decent board (preferably based on the
    > NForce2 or i865/i875 chipsets, but will consider others) which
    > provides integrated graphics and an AGP slot for possible future
    > upgrades? "
    >

    > A while ago I replied to a similar query on usenet. I listed a
    > number of 400FSB Nforce2 motherboards for the OP to look at. I'm not
    > making any specific recommendations with the following, so maybe
    > you'd like to look them up yourself:
    >
    > Micro-ATX:
    >
    > - Albatron KM18G Pro http://snipurl.com/9aq0
    > - AOpen MK79G-1394 http://snipurl.com/9ap6
    > - AOpen MK79G-N http://snipurl.com/9apr
    > - Asus A7N8X-VM http://snipurl.com/9aou
    > - Asus A7N8X-VM/400 http://snipurl.com/9aov
    > - Biostar M7NCG http://snipurl.com/9aq6
    > - Biostar M7NCG-400 http://snipurl.com/9aq9
    > - Biostar M7NCG-400 (7.x) http://snipurl.com/9aqe
    > - Chaintech 7NIF2 http://snipurl.com/9aqs
    > - Epox EP-8RGM3I http://snipurl.com/9arl
    > - Epox EP-8RGMI http://snipurl.com/9arm
    > - FIC K7M-NF18G http://snipurl.com/9asx
    > - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18GM http://snipurl.com/9asu
    > - MSI K7N2GM-IL http://snipurl.com/9atk
    > - MSI K7N2GM-L http://snipurl.com/9atk
    > - MSI K7N2GM2-ILSR http://snipurl.com/9atn
    > - MSI K7N2GM2-LSR http://snipurl.com/9atn
    > - Shuttle MN31L http://snipurl.com/9aoq
    > - Shuttle MN31N http://snipurl.com/9aop
    >
    > ATX:
    >
    > - Abit NF7-M http://snipurl.com/9apt
    > - AOpen AK79G Max http://snipurl.com/9apj
    > - Aopen AK79G Tube http://snipurl.com/9apl
    > - AOpen AK79G-1394 http://snipurl.com/9ape
    > - AOpen AK79G-V http://snipurl.com/9app
    > - AOpen AK79G-VN http://snipurl.com/9apq
    > - Biostar M7NCG Pro http://snipurl.com/9aqb
    > - Gigabyte GA-7N400V http://snipurl.com/9arx
    > - Gigabyte GA-7N400V Pro http://snipurl.com/9art
    > - Gigabyte GA-7N400V Pro2 http://snipurl.com/9aru
    > - Gigabyte GA-7N400V-L http://snipurl.com/9as4
    > - Gigabyte GA-7NNXPV http://snipurl.com/9ars
    > - Jetway KOCAB18P http://snipurl.com/9atc
    > - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G http://snipurl.com/9as9
    > - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G-Pro http://snipurl.com/9asb
    > - Leadtek Winfast K7NCR18G-ProII http://snipurl.com/9asf
    > - MSI K7N2G-ILSR http://snipurl.com/9ati
    > - MSI K7N2G-L http://snipurl.com/9ati
    > - Soltek SL-75MRN http://snipurl.com/9ata
    > - Soltek SL-75MRN-L http://snipurl.com/9ata

    Many thanks for the definitive list. And thanks to the other contributors
    too.

    Out of them all, mind if I ask which you opted for?

    On the basis of features for the money, the last two Gigabyte boards look
    hard to beat - unfortunately, they're just about non-existant in Australia.
    Still looking...
  17. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "David Hemingsley" <d.hemingsley@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Jetway make good ones

    Jetway make terrible motherboards!

Hardware Graphics Overclocking