Onboard video automatically slows memory?

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I'm planning on building a system using an overclocked Barton core 2500+
Athlon saddled up on a nForce2-based motherboard with integrated Geforce 4
MX graphics. I'm not too concerned about the ordinary nature of the graphic
capabilities, but I am concerned by a rumour a friend told me about how
using onboard graphics will limit my memory speeds to PC2700 (DDR333). I
assume this will also compromise my capacity to overclock the cpu.

He pointed me to the article at
http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200411.ars/2 referring
particularly to the section on RAM. I was considering the Abit NF7-M
(http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=7) but
will have to rethink if it's subject to this limitation.

Anyone know if there's any truth to this story, or of any motherboards with
decent onboard video (no seriously) which can run memory and fsb beyond
DDR333 speeds?

All insights appreciated.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In any system you are best off to use a slot type video card, rather than an
on board one.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Baz Metcalfe" <baz@PH0lD.com> wrote in message
I'm planning on building a system using an overclocked Barton core 2500+
Athlon saddled up on a nForce2-based motherboard with integrated Geforce 4
MX graphics. I'm not too concerned about the ordinary nature of the graphic
capabilities, but I am concerned by a rumour a friend told me about how
using onboard graphics will limit my memory speeds to PC2700 (DDR333). I
assume this will also compromise my capacity to overclock the cpu.

He pointed me to the article at
http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200411.ars/2 referring
particularly to the section on RAM. I was considering the Abit NF7-M
(http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=7) but
will have to rethink if it's subject to this limitation.

Anyone know if there's any truth to this story, or of any motherboards with
decent onboard video (no seriously) which can run memory and fsb beyond
DDR333 speeds?

All insights appreciated.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

> I'm planning on building a system using an overclocked Barton core 2500+
> Athlon saddled up on a nForce2-based motherboard with integrated Geforce 4
> MX graphics. I'm not too concerned about the ordinary nature of the
graphic
> capabilities, but I am concerned by a rumour a friend told me about how
> using onboard graphics will limit my memory speeds to PC2700 (DDR333). I
> assume this will also compromise my capacity to overclock the cpu.
>
> He pointed me to the article at
> http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200411.ars/2 referring
> particularly to the section on RAM. I was considering the Abit NF7-M
> (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=7)
but
> will have to rethink if it's subject to this limitation.
>
> Anyone know if there's any truth to this story, or of any motherboards
with
> decent onboard video (no seriously) which can run memory and fsb beyond
> DDR333 speeds?

I have an NF7-M, and as far as IGP boards go, it's great. However, it is
officially rated only to 333 MHz. Because you're posting this in the
overclocking forum, I imagine you're planning on overclocking. While using
the onboard video, I was only able to get it stable to an FSB of about 395
MHz. After putting a GeForce 6800 in it, I'm still only able to get the
memory bus stable to about 418 MHz.

If you don't plan on buying an add-in video card, then it's probably as
good of IGP board as you're going to find. However, if you ARE thinking of
buying an add-in card, going wih a non-IGP NForce2 board will give you more
headroom.

steve

Jerry G. wrote:

> In any system you are best off to use a slot type video card, rather than an
> on board one.

Not necessarily. If you have no intention of running games then a slot
type card is a waste of money.