Reboots for unknown reasons. Please someone help.

My computer has started to reboot on its own and it is getting more
frequent. It also will not reboot sometimes and I have to spend
several minutes hitting the switch over and over. I have ran virus
checker, worm and trojan checkers, scandisk, defraged and even
cleaned the inside of the case from dust bunnies. I also ran MEMTEST86
for a few passes and it checked out ok. So does anyone have any other
ideas on what/how to check else??

p.s. I have only have this computer for 11 months :-(

my system is described below
-------------------------------------
WinXP
ASUS A7N8X-UAY 400Mhz FSB
CPU AMD|2500+/333 Athlon XP Barton
Connect 3d|Radeon 9600 128M DVI/TV video card
DDRAM 256MG|DDR400 CL25 PC3200 Kingston X2 = 512 Megs o ram
HD 80GB|WD 7200RPM 8mb cache
CDRW/DVD COMBO48X24X48X16|LITE ON
---------------------

sorry for crossposting..wanted to reach biggest audience possible.
forgive please.

"DNC_TN wrote
> My computer has started to reboot on its own and it is getting more
> frequent.

Hi,

Did you add a new piece of hardware, or is it all the same from when you
bought it?

You don't mention what PSU you have, but that could be on its way out!

Also did you adjust any BIOS settings?

Wayne ][

Had the same problem once.....either the bios voltage....or the DDR's.
Mine was the DDR....

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:16:17 -0500, "dnc_tn@yahoo.com" <DNC_TN@>
wrote:

>My computer has started to reboot on its own and it is getting more
>frequent. It also will not reboot sometimes and I have to spend
>several minutes hitting the switch over and over. I have ran virus
>checker, worm and trojan checkers, scandisk, defraged and even
>cleaned the inside of the case from dust bunnies. I also ran MEMTEST86
>for a few passes and it checked out ok. So does anyone have any other
>ideas on what/how to check else??
>
>p.s. I have only have this computer for 11 months :-(
>
>my system is described below
>-------------------------------------
>WinXP
>ASUS A7N8X-UAY 400Mhz FSB
>CPU AMD|2500+/333 Athlon XP Barton
>Connect 3d|Radeon 9600 128M DVI/TV video card
>DDRAM 256MG|DDR400 CL25 PC3200 Kingston X2 = 512 Megs o ram
>HD 80GB|WD 7200RPM 8mb cache
>CDRW/DVD COMBO48X24X48X16|LITE ON
>---------------------
>
>sorry for crossposting..wanted to reach biggest audience possible.
>forgive please.

Check (if applicable) the voltage sent to the CPU, the memory;
the memory timings; the battery voltage; everything is seated ok.
In particular the power connectors to the mainboard etc.

If you have a spare PSU, it would be worth testing via that.
FSP/Fortron/Sparkle PSUs are fine - glossy paint jobs don't help :)
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Would be worth trying a different PSU if you can get hold of one.

"dnc_tn@yahoo.com" <DNC_TN@> wrote in message
> My computer has started to reboot on its own and it is getting more
> frequent. It also will not reboot sometimes and I have to spend
> several minutes hitting the switch over and over. I have ran virus
> checker, worm and trojan checkers, scandisk, defraged and even
> cleaned the inside of the case from dust bunnies. I also ran MEMTEST86
> for a few passes and it checked out ok. So does anyone have any other
> ideas on what/how to check else??
>
> p.s. I have only have this computer for 11 months :-(
>
> my system is described below
> -------------------------------------
> WinXP
> ASUS A7N8X-UAY 400Mhz FSB
> CPU AMD|2500+/333 Athlon XP Barton
> Connect 3d|Radeon 9600 128M DVI/TV video card
> DDRAM 256MG|DDR400 CL25 PC3200 Kingston X2 = 512 Megs o ram
> HD 80GB|WD 7200RPM 8mb cache
> CDRW/DVD COMBO48X24X48X16|LITE ON
>
> sorry for crossposting..wanted to reach biggest audience possible.
> forgive please.

try cleaning heat sink 11 months of dust could cause proccesser to over heat
and clean out all fans