Dual Channel vs Non-

I'm adding 1GB of RAM to existing machines and ordering several new machines
with 1GB of RAM. I have two questions:

- For the new machines, am I better off requesting two sticks of 512 instead
of a single stick of 1GB because of dual-channel memory architecture?

- For the existing machines (which currently have 256MB (2x128 in slots 1 &
3), should I simply add the two 512 sticks to slots 2 & 4 bringing the total
to 1,280MB, or should I remove or move the existing RAM? What's the optimal
configuration?

These are all running in P4 systems; the existing machines are 2.26GHz
procs, the new ones use the P4-540.

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

"Bryan L" <blinton@nospam.connellinsurance.com> wrote in message
> I'm adding 1GB of RAM to existing machines and ordering several new
machines
> with 1GB of RAM. I have two questions:
>
> - For the new machines, am I better off requesting two sticks of 512
instead
> of a single stick of 1GB because of dual-channel memory architecture?
>
> - For the existing machines (which currently have 256MB (2x128 in slots 1
&
> 3), should I simply add the two 512 sticks to slots 2 & 4 bringing the
total
> to 1,280MB, or should I remove or move the existing RAM? What's the
optimal
> configuration?
>
> These are all running in P4 systems; the existing machines are 2.26GHz
> procs, the new ones use the P4-540.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bryan

Did your mb manufacturer recommend, what you should use?

xman

"Bryan L" <blinton@nospam.connellinsurance.com> wrote in message
> I'm adding 1GB of RAM to existing machines and ordering several new
machines
> with 1GB of RAM. I have two questions:
>
> - For the new machines, am I better off requesting two sticks of 512
instead
> of a single stick of 1GB because of dual-channel memory architecture?
>
> - For the existing machines (which currently have 256MB (2x128 in slots 1
&
> 3), should I simply add the two 512 sticks to slots 2 & 4 bringing the
total
> to 1,280MB, or should I remove or move the existing RAM? What's the
optimal
> configuration?
>
> These are all running in P4 systems; the existing machines are 2.26GHz
> procs, the new ones use the P4-540.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Bryan

Yes, if your mobo is dual channel compatible, you' de better take 2 x 512MB
instead of 1 x 1GB. This theoretically doubles your memory throughput.
For the existing machine, you' d better remove the actual ram and replace it
with 2 x 512 MB in slots 1-3. Keeping the actual 256 MB will have no effect
in total performance and should take some extra power from your PSU.