Laptop won,t start

pappy69

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Hi when I turn my laptop on the screen it starts to come on the freezes and then the screen goes blank and then comes up with operating system not found what do I do to get it working again

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
The hard drive or connection to it has failed in some way. You may have to send in the laptop for repair, send in the hard drive for replacement, or buy a new one and replace it yourself.
There is a good chance the data on that drive will not be retrievable (unless by a professional). Hopefully you had your important data backed up.

pappy69

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
Hi Thanks. Is there no other way that I can do it myself instead. I have tried to restore it automatically and then tried to restore it to an earlier date but it will still not let me. would it be worth trying to reboot it if it lets me.

pappy69

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I've taken the hard drive out and then put it back in again it then comes up to saying system restore but it will not do it automatically and then system cannot find file again so restarted it again got to my log details but then screen goes blank again

You need either an OEM copy of the OS that came with your computer or you need the recovery media. Your hard drive has likely failed or is about to fail. The best thing you can do is take it out, put a new one in, and then install the OS. If you are lucky, your old drive hasn't failed completely and you can still get data off. The more you use it, the more likely it will fail completely and then getting the data off is a very expensive proposition. Replace the drive and get your hands on some recovery media or an OEM version of Windows.