Help OCing P3 933Mhz/133FSB

I’m new to overclocking and I’m looking for some help Overclocking a
Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
great.

Thanks

Asra

--
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P3-933Mhz-133FSB-ftopict43806.html

    Asramantal wrote:
    > I’m new to overclocking and I’m looking for some help Overclocking a
    > Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
    > seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
    > Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
    > OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
    > great.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Asra

    'Name brand' computer system rarely, if ever, have any built in
    overclocking features.

    You wouldn't be able to get a heck of a lot more out of a P-III 933 anyway,
    even if the motherboard would let you try, because it's already near the
    top of the speed range.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Asramantal" wrote in message...
    > I'm new to overclocking and I'm looking for some help Overclocking
    > a Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system.

    You may not be able to do so.

    > I cant seem to change the FSB from BIOS,

    That's hardly surprising. OEM computers tend not to have BIOS level clock
    changing functionality. You may find that it's there but been disabled by a
    jumper on the motherboard or a Gateway-specific BIOS, but it's more likely
    that it simply isn't there at all.

    > do I need to Clear the Real Time Clock to do so?

    What? Do you mean clearing the CMOS? This is unlikely to make the difference
    you need.

    > The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to OC it
    > BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True?

    Quite probably. However, Gateway didn't make that board, they bought it from
    a motherboard manufacturer. Your best option is to look for any identifying
    marks. If you can see the model number, you should be able to identify the
    manufacturer, and then download the instruction manual. Once you've done
    that, you will be able to see whether there are any overclocking features
    built into it.

    Even if there are, as David says, the 933 is already near the upper end of
    the Coppermine core's envelope, and depending on what memory you're using,
    and what chipset the motherboard has, you may not be able to get much more
    from it anyway.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    My P 933 is running @ 1000MHz stable on an Asus CUSL2-C board. And yes it
    does make a difference.
    143MHz FSB is noticeably faster than the spec rated 133.

    "Asramantal" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    > I'm new to overclocking and I'm looking for some help Overclocking a
    > Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
    > seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
    > Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
    > OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
    > great.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Asra
    >
    > --
    > http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P3-933Mhz-133FSB-ftopict43806.html
    > http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=209788
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:08:07 GMT, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >My P 933 is running @ 1000MHz stable on an Asus CUSL2-C board. And yes it
    >does make a difference.
    >143MHz FSB is noticeably faster than the spec rated 133.

    But that MoBo Turns a lot of features off if you go ovee a 10meg extra clock,
    so it does not run like a Real 1g PIII.

    There was a Site that has patched Bioses to get over this limitation..

    Yes I had one of those MoBo's

    >"Asramantal" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm new to overclocking and I'm looking for some help Overclocking a
    >> Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
    >> seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
    >> Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
    >> OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
    >> great.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Asra
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
    >> request
    >> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    >> Topic URL:
    >> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P3-933Mhz-133FSB-ftopict43806.html
    >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    >> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=209788

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    What turned off features would that be?
    The 133MHz feature? lol

    Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz wrote in message ...
    >On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:08:07 GMT, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>My P 933 is running @ 1000MHz stable on an Asus CUSL2-C board. And yes it
    >>does make a difference.
    >>143MHz FSB is noticeably faster than the spec rated 133.
    >

    >But that MoBo Turns a lot of features off if you go ovee a 10meg extra
    clock,
    >so it does not run like a Real 1g PIII.
    >

    >There was a Site that has patched Bioses to get over this limitation..
    >

    >Yes I had one of those MoBo's
    >

    >>"Asramantal" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'm new to overclocking and I'm looking for some help Overclocking a
    >>> Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
    >>> seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
    >>> Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
    >>> OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
    >>> great.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Asra
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
    >>> request
    >>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    >>> Topic URL:

    http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P3-933Mhz-133FSB-ftopi
    ct43806.html
    >>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    >>> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=209788

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What turned off features would that be?
    > The 133MHz feature? lol

    Funnily enough, yes, in a way. IIRC running at 133MHz or higher drops the
    FSB:memory multiplier from 1:1 to 4:3, dropping the memory frequency (and
    hence bandwidth) as a result.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:49:26 GMT, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >What turned off features would that be?
    >The 133MHz feature? lol

    I can't remeber as it was on a site some time ago that provided the Patch, Ram
    speed was one and 2 otheres from memory.

    >Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz wrote in message ...
    >>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:08:07 GMT, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>My P 933 is running @ 1000MHz stable on an Asus CUSL2-C board. And yes it
    >>>does make a difference.
    >>>143MHz FSB is noticeably faster than the spec rated 133.
    >>

    >>But that MoBo Turns a lot of features off if you go ovee a 10meg extra
    >clock,
    >>so it does not run like a Real 1g PIII.
    >>

    >>There was a Site that has patched Bioses to get over this limitation..
    >>

    >>Yes I had one of those MoBo's
    >>

    >>>"Asramantal" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message

    >http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P3-933Mhz-133FSB-ftopi
    >ct43806.html