Help OCing P3 933Mhz/133FSB

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2004 2:34:09 AM

I’m new to overclocking and I’m looking for some help Overclocking a
Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
great.

Thanks

Asra

--
http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request
Topic URL: http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P...

More about : ocing 933mhz 133fsb

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2004 6:53:45 AM

Asramantal wrote:
> I’m new to overclocking and I’m looking for some help Overclocking a
> Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
> seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
> Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
> OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
> great.
>
> Thanks
>
> Asra

'Name brand' computer system rarely, if ever, have any built in
overclocking features.

You wouldn't be able to get a heck of a lot more out of a P-III 933 anyway,
even if the motherboard would let you try, because it's already near the
top of the speed range.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 20, 2004 4:40:56 PM

"Asramantal" wrote in message...
> I'm new to overclocking and I'm looking for some help Overclocking
> a Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system.

You may not be able to do so.

> I cant seem to change the FSB from BIOS,

That's hardly surprising. OEM computers tend not to have BIOS level clock
changing functionality. You may find that it's there but been disabled by a
jumper on the motherboard or a Gateway-specific BIOS, but it's more likely
that it simply isn't there at all.

> do I need to Clear the Real Time Clock to do so?

What? Do you mean clearing the CMOS? This is unlikely to make the difference
you need.

> The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to OC it
> BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True?

Quite probably. However, Gateway didn't make that board, they bought it from
a motherboard manufacturer. Your best option is to look for any identifying
marks. If you can see the model number, you should be able to identify the
manufacturer, and then download the instruction manual. Once you've done
that, you will be able to see whether there are any overclocking features
built into it.

Even if there are, as David says, the 933 is already near the upper end of
the Coppermine core's envelope, and depending on what memory you're using,
and what chipset the motherboard has, you may not be able to get much more
from it anyway.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 22, 2004 3:08:07 AM

My P 933 is running @ 1000MHz stable on an Asus CUSL2-C board. And yes it
does make a difference.
143MHz FSB is noticeably faster than the spec rated 133.

"Asramantal" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to overclocking and I'm looking for some help Overclocking a
> Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
> seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
> Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
> OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
> great.
>
> Thanks
>
> Asra
>
> --
> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P...
> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=209788
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 22, 2004 4:26:01 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:08:07 GMT, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My P 933 is running @ 1000MHz stable on an Asus CUSL2-C board. And yes it
>does make a difference.
>143MHz FSB is noticeably faster than the spec rated 133.

But that MoBo Turns a lot of features off if you go ovee a 10meg extra clock,
so it does not run like a Real 1g PIII.

There was a Site that has patched Bioses to get over this limitation..

Yes I had one of those MoBo's

>"Asramantal" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>> I'm new to overclocking and I'm looking for some help Overclocking a
>> Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
>> seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
>> Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
>> OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
>> great.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Asra
>>
>> --
>> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
>> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P...
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=209788

December 22, 2004 7:49:26 PM

What turned off features would that be?
The 133MHz feature? lol

Woger MKII @wogerbox.co.nz wrote in message ...
>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:08:07 GMT, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>My P 933 is running @ 1000MHz stable on an Asus CUSL2-C board. And yes it
>>does make a difference.
>>143MHz FSB is noticeably faster than the spec rated 133.
>

>But that MoBo Turns a lot of features off if you go ovee a 10meg extra
clock,
>so it does not run like a Real 1g PIII.
>

>There was a Site that has patched Bioses to get over this limitation..
>

>Yes I had one of those MoBo's
>

>>"Asramantal" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm new to overclocking and I'm looking for some help Overclocking a
>>> Pentium III 933Mhz with 133 FSB from a gutted Gateway system. I cant
>>> seem to change the FSB from BIOS, do I need to Clear the Real Time
>>> Clock to do so? The Tech at my local shop said I might not be able to
>>> OC it BECAUSE it is a Gateway Board. Is this True? Any help would be
>>> great.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Asra
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's
>>> request
>>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>>> Topic URL:

http://www.HardwareForumz.com/Overclocking-Help-OCing-P...
ct43806.html
>>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
>>> http://www.HardwareForumz.com/eform.php?p=209788

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2004 3:55:43 AM

"Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What turned off features would that be?
> The 133MHz feature? lol

Funnily enough, yes, in a way. IIRC running at 133MHz or higher drops the
FSB:memory multiplier from 1:1 to 4:3, dropping the memory frequency (and
hence bandwidth) as a result.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

a b K Overclocking
December 23, 2004 3:50:21 PM

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:49:26 GMT, "Rich" <richsuf@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What turned off features would that be?
>The 133MHz feature? lol

I can't remeber as it was on a site some time ago that provided the Patch, Ram
speed was one and 2 otheres from memory.

!