Cleaning a CPU

OK, the problem I'm having is this...

My temps are slowly climbing up on my P4 Prescott using a Thermalright
XP-120. I've cleaned and recleaned the cpu and heatsink and applied
Arctic Silver 5. When I first did this I had temps around 48C under load.
Then they started to climb. When I removed the heatsink the paste looked
like it was disappearing or burning off even. I've been using 70% alcohol
to clean it and the last time I used mineral spirits. My temps just now
are 44C idle and 59C load.

The last time I did the cpu and heatsink I thought I'd try the white
paste that came with the XP-120. But as soon as it touched the cpu it
gave off a clear liquid. I think that the cpu is contaminated with
something so I was wondering what could I use to make sure that the cpu
and heatsink are totally clean. It's driving me nuts that after spending
money on a XP-120 I'm almost back to the same temps I started with when I
had the standard intel heatsink. Also, when I pulled off the Intel
heatsink that was sitting on a thermal pad, the pad was in pieces like it
had disintegrated. Before doing that the temps had also started to rise.

Has anyone got any ideas here? I'm thinking this cpu is posessed and is
missing the heat of hell where it belongs...

--
Alex Devlin

"I don't care who you want to speak to, or how far you came, or what you
have to offer. You CAN'T PARK HERE."

"Alex Devlin" wrote
> It's driving me nuts that after spending
> money on a XP-120 I'm almost back to the same temps I started with when I
> had the standard intel heatsink.

Hi,

sounds like you are getting in a twist. You are running the hottest CPU
probably, but I thought the XP-120 was one of the very best Heatsinks? My
suggestion is just to carefully apply a think layer of goop, then carefully
attach your heatsink, and forget it!!!! (for a few weeks at least). After a
week or so, with a few *thermal cycles* you should see temps improve.

Its all to easy to become *obsessed* with temps, I have spent many nights
lapping various lumps of metal trying to improve temps, but it got boring
after a while.

Wayne ][

On 22 Dec 2004, Wayne Youngman wrote:

> "Alex Devlin" wrote
>> It's driving me nuts that after spending
>> money on a XP-120 I'm almost back to the same temps I started with
>> when I had the standard intel heatsink.
>

> Hi,
>
> sounds like you are getting in a twist. You are running the hottest
> CPU probably, but I thought the XP-120 was one of the very best
> Heatsinks? My suggestion is just to carefully apply a think layer of
> goop, then carefully attach your heatsink, and forget it!!!! (for a
> few weeks at least). After a week or so, with a few *thermal cycles*
> you should see temps improve.
>
> Its all to easy to become *obsessed* with temps, I have spent many
> nights lapping various lumps of metal trying to improve temps, but it
> got boring after a while.
>
> Wayne ][

Hi Wayne,

Yeah you're right about it becoming obsessive :)
I must admit that when I had the standard heatsink my temps went to 73C
and over and not once did I see any instability or slow down from the
cpu. I am getting close to just removing the temp monitor programme and
ignoring it for a month or so and see what happens. Even if I fry the cpu
I really don't care at this point because it's driving me crazy with the
temps.

I am stuck on the fact that I think the cpu may have some substance on it
that I'm not getting rid of when I clean it. Putting the white paste on
and seeing it turn to liquid as soon as it touched it has me wondering.

But it's christmas, so I'm not doing a thing to it until after. I've got
games to play so high temps here I come. Maybe the christmas spirit will
get to the cpu and it'll behave itself. Is there a cpu Santa? Maybe if it
knows it'll get no presents for being bad it'll play nicely? ;P

--

"Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> I must admit that when I had the standard heatsink my temps went
> to 73C and over and not once did I see any instability or slow down
> from the cpu.

Silly question but are you *sure* the temperature has actually gone up - or
if it has that there isn't some sort of external reason for it - like the
heating going on in the room the PC is in or something like that?

> I am stuck on the fact that I think the cpu may have some substance on
> it that I'm not getting rid of when I clean it. Putting the white paste on
> and seeing it turn to liquid as soon as it touched it has me wondering.

Lol, that's common. Zinc/ceramic based thermal compounds are actually a fine
powder mixed into a gel substrate. Seeing the clear liquid on the IHS like
that just means the powder and substrate have started to separate back out
since the compound was packed.

Cleaning the top of an IHS isn't rocket science. If it looks clean and
uniform, and feels clean and uniform, it is.

> Is there a cpu Santa? Maybe if it knows it'll get no presents for being
> bad it'll play nicely? ;P

Just tell it you're going to chuck it in the bin and buy a Northwood
instead. On the other hand, at least the Prescott's prodigious heat output
will keep you warm these chilly winter nights
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom