DDR overclocking, 3:4 ratio problem

Hi,

I have ABIT BD7II-RAID MotherBoard. Recently I upgraded my CPU from P4
1.7GHz (FSB400) to
P4 3,06 (FSB533).
I own two identical sticks of Kingston Value RAM PC2100, so DDR266, both
512MB, 1024 in total.

The basic configuration CPU:DRAM (1:1) works fine. But I would like to set
it to 3:4, like in the case of the older P4 1,7 CPU (it was FSB100, and DRAM
was
working with 133, so 3:4).

I have the latest BIOS version.

When i set DRAM Ratio H/W Strap to LOW and DRAM Ratio (CPU:DRAM) to 3:4
computer starts (POST gives me info that DRAM is working on 133/178) but no
Windows is lunched, i just get blue screen and automatic restart (blue
screen with some error codes i cant even read and fast restart).

What is happening? How can i overclock the RAM to work correctly.
I didnt play with voltages. Should I?
Can i BURN anything when playing with it?
I am not a real overclocker but i want to get all my RAM can serve me (so,
use 3:4 ratio). My first guess is that this Kingston Value RAM cannot work
on 350MHz?

Best regards and
I wish You a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Michal Byrczek

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit (More info?)

"byru" <mbyrczek@pf.pl> wrote in message
> I have ABIT BD7II-RAID MotherBoard. Recently I upgraded my
> CPU from P4 1.7GHz (FSB400) to P4 3,06 (FSB533).
> I own two identical sticks of Kingston Value RAM PC2100, so
> DDR266, both 512MB, 1024 in total.
>
> The basic configuration CPU:DRAM (1:1) works fine. But I would like
> to set it to 3:4, like in the case of the older P4 1,7 CPU

Well, you can't, and expecting otherwise is plain unrealistic, sorry.

> (it was FSB100, and DRAM was working with 133, so 3:4).

Indeed. Now that you have a 133MHz CPU, you need to change the FSB:DRAM
multiplier to 1:1 in order to keep the same memory bus speed.

> I have the latest BIOS version.

The "problem" you are having is nothing to do with the BIOS - or the
hardware at all. It's your own unrealistic expectations.

> When i set DRAM Ratio H/W Strap to LOW and DRAM Ratio
> (CPU:DRAM) to 3:4 computer starts (POST gives me info that
> DRAM is working on 133/178) but noWindows is lunched, i
> just get blue screen and automatic restart

Hardly surprising, is it? You've pushed your memory beyond the point of
stability and it is shitting itself.

> What is happening?

You're running the wrong settings. By trying to run the 3:4 multiplier with
your new 133MHz FSB CPU, you are asking your memory to run faster than
PC2700. It won't.

> How can i overclock the RAM to work correctly.

Eh? You weren't overclocking your memory before, you were running it at
default speed. Now, you are trying to overclock your memory, but you're
asking way too much and it's not having it.

> I didnt play with voltages. Should I?

No. It doesn't matter what voltage you use, you're unlikely to get vanilla
PC2100 to run at the sort of speeds you're talking about.

> Can i BURN anything when playing with it?

Not really. The instability is largely protecting the computer from the
ineptitude of the person behind the keyboard. It figures that if it keeps
crashing, you will get bored and turn the settings down to something it can
handle.

> I am not a real overclocker but i want to get all my RAM can serve
> me (so, use 3:4 ratio).

Well, you can't. At least not without *under*clocking your new CPU.

> My first guess is that this Kingston Value RAM cannot work
> on 350MHz?

Exactly. You're running boggo vanilla PC2100 - which is designed to run at
266MHz DDR. If you want to run at 355MHz, you're going to need either good
quality PC2700 or, to be certain, PC4000.

If you want to overclock your memory a *bit*, the solution is simple - use
the 1:1 multiplier and raise the FSB a few megahertz. That way you also get
more out of the CPU. You could try the 4:5 FSB:DRAM multiplier, but even
that is likely to be asking too much of your RAM - 1:1 and higher FSB would
be a better compromise.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> skrev i en meddelelse - or the

> 266MHz DDR. If you want to run at 355MHz, you're going to need either good
> quality PC2700 or, to be certain, PC4000.

Pc3200 should do...

> If you want to overclock your memory a *bit*, the solution is simple - use
> the 1:1 multiplier and raise the FSB a few megahertz. That way you also
get
> more out of the CPU. You could try the 4:5 FSB:DRAM multiplier, but even
> that is likely to be asking too much of your RAM - 1:1 and higher FSB
would
> be a better compromise.

Remember to lock your PCI/AGP frequencies. With some PC3200, a FSB 166 with
4:5 CPU/MEM would be nice to get...